View Poll Results: What did you think of "Princess and the Frog"?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - 2D animation makes a hoppin' return!

82 70.69%
  • 4 Stars - A Hippity, Hoppity Good Time

26 22.41%
  • 3 Stars - An average leap

6 5.17%
  • 2 Stars - Where was Kermit?

1 0.86%
  • 1 Stars - It Croaked

1 0.86%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Infinitized!

Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

I haven't seen it yet, will probably see it somtime in the run-up to Christmas next weekend. I thought this quote in Ebert's review was interesting:
    The Princess and the Frog :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews
    It is notable that this is Disney's first animated feature since "Song of the South" (1946) to feature African-American characters, and if the studio really never is going to release that film on DVD, which seems more innocent by the day, perhaps they could have lifted "Zip-a-dee Doo-Dah" from it and plugged that song in here. Though the principal characters are all black (other than the rich man Big Daddy and the Prince, who is of undetermined ethnicity), race is not an issue because Disney adroitly sidesteps all the realities of being a poor girl in New Orleans in the early 1920s. Just as well, I suppose.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I was just going to say that Clinks. Do people think cartoons are made in 9 months?
    Haven't seen this latest one yet, but Disney's animated stuff has been heavy on the "PC" for about 20 years now, which is longer than nine months, last time I checked.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Senior Minion

I saw it last night and I really enjoyed it. The music was catchy, but wasn't too crazy about the songs themselves (lyrics going with the plot and such) it just didn't do it for me. But the colors were amazing and it was such a great all-around story. Naveen's accent kind of got to me after awhile, though.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• ...is busy, please hold.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyjedi1 View Post

And for the Little Mermaid, are you talking about the parade float? Because there's an Aladdin one directly behind it, and the first one you see is a Treasure Planet one!!!! ) They're actually referencing past movies Ron and John have directed. (not sure if there was a Hercules one, I'll get back to you on that.)
    From Little Mermaid:
    -King Triton float
    -The pearled clam that imprisoned Ariel's voice is seen twice in Mama Odie's boat cabin.
    -"Ma Belle Evangeline" has the same color,tone and conclusion as "Kiss the Girl"

From Aladdin:
    -Aladdin float
    -Carpet appears in opening credits
    -Facilier and Naveen's human form have the same body style as Jafar and Aladdin respectfully.Yet, the doctor is more elastic and top heavy while Naveen has a more sharper chin.
    Last edited by dead_Mau5; 12-12-2009 at 06:55 AM.
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

• User

Quote Originally Posted by dead_Mau5 View Post
    From Little Mermaid:
    -King Triton float
    -The pearled clam that imprisoned Ariel's voice is seen twice in Mama Odie's boat cabin.
    -"Ma Belle Evangeline" has the same color,tone and conclusion as "Kiss the Girl"

From Aladdin:
    -Aladdin float
    -Carpet appears in opening credits
    -Facilier and Naveen's human form have the same body style as Jafar and Aladdin respectfully.Yet, the doctor is more elastic and top heavy while Naveen has a more sharper chin.
    -Yeah, that was a little MORE than obvious.
    -Really? I didn't see it! Hmmm... I'll definitely be on the lookout next time I see it.
    -I just listened to Ma Belle Evangeline and Kiss that Girl (and saw the movie again last night) and although similar colors are used (they both take place at night! and on water!) and the sounds are *somewhat* similar.... I don't really see the comparison between the conclusions... is it because they almost end with a kiss in both films? They're interrupted for totally different reasons. In the Little Mermaid, the kiss was going to happen between Eric and Ariel, had Flotsam and Jetsam not interfered, but in the Princess and the Frog, the kiss almost happened, but Tiana was the one who stopped it, for she was denying her feelings for Naveen, because she knew that he was supposed to marry Charlotte. And the music towards the end of the songs are different too. "Kiss the Girl" gets more excited and louder as the kiss approaches, while "Ma Belle Evangeline" remains soft. That and "Kiss the Girl" is directly trying to get the characters to kiss, while "Ma Belle Evangeline" is Ray singing to his love, and then as Tiana and Naveen start dancing, it parallels the two. I dunno, I may have missed your point completely, but this is how I feel about it.

-Yeah again the float thing is a little obvious, but since it is behind the Little Mermaid one it's a little less noticeable maybe?
    -The first time I saw the film (seen it twice now, the count begins) I didn't even notice carpet! And one of the reasons I looked for it was because someone else here mentioned it!
    -I guess so.... but I'm looking at pictures of Naveen and Aladdin, and I see the body type thing, but their faces are totally different. People do have similar body types sometimes.

And there was no Hercules float... Oh well... The Treasure Planet one makes me happy.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Well, I was pretty much completely oblivious to the references to other Disney animated movies, and that is one of my favorite things to be on the lookout for. Thanks for mentioning the parade references, and others.

The movie and story is really good, although not enough to give it a "Disney 5 star", so it got 4. I might be able to stretch it to 4 1/2 stars, but I want to see the movie another time before settling in on how it rates with other Disney animated movies. It's great to see this movie is well done, and John Lasseter, along with its veteran animators are to be congratulated. But to say it's the greatest film since The Lion King, (as some advertisements point out) is overlooking some of the other great movies that Disney did have about 10 years ago, including Mulan, Tarzan, Lilo and Stitch, and Hercules. I'm hoping there is not just a good box office showing, but a GREAT box office for this movie. There is still some concern, from some higher up at Disney, that Princess and the Frog won't be pulling in Pixar size numbers, that some at Disney apparently want.

Princess and the Frog will need to do some pretty spectacular numbers $-wise at the box office, in order for the rivers of America to come alive with some pretty spectacular numbers next summer, with Princess Tiana's Showboat Jubilee. So my advice, GET TO DISNEYLAND before Tiana's Showboat disappears this holiday season.

The first time I heard the songs was in Tiana's Showboat Jubilee, and with the live band and the live singers and dancers, the music is even better at the Rivers of America, than it will be at your local movie theater. Personally, I do like 1920's style piano music, and love player piano music, BUT Randy Newman's clunky piano playing just doesn't appeal to me at all. Back to the Showboat Jubilee, with the live band, the emphasis is taken away from Randy's chunky piano style, and given more of a New Orleans flavor. It's really phenomenal.

Sadly, when I saw the movie for the first time, and listened to the soundtrack from the movie, Randy's clunky piano playing reappeared, blechhhh! I did get the soundtrack before seeing the showboat jubilee and before seeing the movie, but didn't listen to it until after I saw the movie and the show. And one other odd piece I did notice in the soundtrack is a small section that sounds like its taken from downtown Monstropolis! honest! Randy Newman does have some good songs BUT his style is EXTREMELY limited. Whereas Alan Menken has proven to be much more versatile composer - I have no doubt that Alan Menken could have composed songs that would have brought this movie to a higher level, and would have LOVED to see what he could have offered in the way of New Orleans Jazz music. I wonder if there are some songs in the Disney Vault from when Menken was working on this movie.

Oh, to add this little bit of info, there is an interest by some Disney higher ups, in finding a permanent place for Princess Tiana in Disneyland's New Orleans Square, as it is the only Disney park with a New Orleans Square - Perhaps at the French Market. It will be interesting to see what the future brings!
    Last edited by Aladdin; 12-12-2009 at 11:11 AM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I was just going to say that Clinks. Do people think cartoons are made in 9 months?
    Cartoons can be made in 9 months, not animated feature films from Walt Disney Pictures.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

I loved the movie. I thought the songs were great and the scenes that went with the songs were vibrant and colorful. I thought it had a good message, and the characters were all very lovable. The shadow people freaked me out though, truth be told.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post

The first time I heard the songs was in Tiana's Showboat Jubilee, and with the live band and the live singers and dancers, the music is even better at the Rivers of America, than it will be at your local movie theater. Personally, I do like 1920's style piano music, and love player piano music, BUT Randy Newman's clunky piano playing just doesn't appeal to me at all. Back to the Showboat Jubilee, with the live band, the emphasis is taken away from Randy's chunky piano style, and given more of a New Orleans flavor. It's really phenomenal.

Sadly, when I saw the movie for the first time, and listened to the soundtrack from the movie, Randy's clunky piano playing reappeared, blechhhh! I did get the soundtrack before seeing the showboat jubilee and before seeing the movie, but didn't listen to it until after I saw the movie and the show. And one other odd piece I did notice in the soundtrack is a small section that sounds like its taken from downtown Monstropolis! honest! Randy Newman does have some good songs BUT his style is EXTREMELY limited. Whereas Alan Menken has proven to be much more versatile composer - I have no doubt that Alan Menken could have composed songs that would have brought this movie to a higher level, and would have LOVED to see what he could have offered in the way of New Orleans Jazz music. I wonder if there are some songs in the Disney Vault from when Menken was working on this movie.

Oh, to add this little bit of info, there is an interest by some Disney higher ups, in finding a permanent place for Princess Tiana in Disneyland's New Orleans Square, as it is the only Disney park with a New Orleans Square - Perhaps at the French Market. It will be interesting to see what the future brings!
    Aladdin - It's good to read a different viewpoint in regard to Newman's music. I may be more than a bit biased as I've been a Randy Newman fan since the late 70's. His music has always struck a chord with me (pun not really intended) and I've loved his film scores along with those of his cousin Thomas Newman, both of which have worked for Pixar.

I think Menken would have written some spectacular show tunes for this movie, but that's exactly what I love about this film score, and tunes like "Down In New Orleans." With Dr. John singing over that clunky piano, it sounds like you just walked into a bar off of Bourbon Street. ( I almost prefer this version to the DL version.) There's really nothing "Broadway" about it, whereas I could easily visualize any of Menken's Disney tunes up on a stage in Manhattan. I just think for this film, Newman's style feels more authentic. From the Zydeco of "Gonna Take You" to the gospel of "Dig A Little Deeper" to the string backgrounds of "Tiana's Bad Dream" to the funeral march at the end of "Ray Laid Low", I really feel like it all fits very well. If you listen to the score apart from the songs that are sung, you'll find a syle that just evokes images of the turn of the century. As the film is set in the 1920's, the style is perfect for the film, IMO. This isn't to say that Menken COULDN'T come up with that type of sound. He just hasn't in his other films. I've been trying to figure out what exactly it is about Newman's music that creates that turn of the century imagery. Maybe it's the fact that so much of his music is written for winds and brass, i.e. the popularity of bands during that time. Or maybe it's the way he voices his chords which seems similar to the slower pieces by Scott Joplin. Regardless, much of his music for film, including pieces from Toy Story, Bugs Life, and Monsters, has that quality to it. To match that style with a film set in New Orleans in the 1920's seemed like a no brainer for me. This film had Randy Newman written all over it.

I do, however, agree that he does tend to get a lot of mileage out of his themes. You'll hear quite a bit from the Pixar films scattered throughout the film, along with snatches of his other film scores. I too, would be interested to see if they actually had recorded anything in the early months of working on this film with Menken, even if it was just on the piano. Wether you like Newman or not, I think we would agree that it would have been a completely different film.

By the way...the Ne-Yo thing at the end....blech. Way to kill the mood at the end of the film
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 12-12-2009 at 02:31 PM.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

YAY!!!! Went to see it this morning and MiceChat's resident Louisianan gives it two great big thumbs up.

I LOVED it. It was SO cool to see Nawlins in a Disney film. I loved seeing the French District, the Garden District and St Louis Cathedral through the eyes (and pencils) of Disney artists. I LOVED the little southern touches they worked in.

I loved Ray. I think they had the Cajun down almost perfect. Well, as perfect as they could get and still have the little bug understandable. I dated a boy in high school who's grandparents were true Cajun. I never understood a single word they said. LOL

And I loved Ray's family. Cousin Boudreaux and the Zydeco music. You can't mention Southern La without those two things.

And I loved the little Shreveport joke. And my husband was drooling over the mention of all the creole food.

Only one complaint!!!!

While Louis was mentioning all that food......he said POOR BOY. No Louisianan alive would call it that. It's a POBOY. POBOY! I turned to my husband and said..."a yankee wrote that line." LOL

I was also a little disappointed that Mama Odie (sp?) wasn't named Marie Laveau. Or at least Mama Laveau. She's the voodoo queen of New Orleans. She's legendary.

• Banned User

I agree with Roger Ebert's review. It has nothing to do with race, nor should it. I would love to see one professional review actually act like it's 2009, and not mention her ethnicity, but sadly, that's all everyone seems to wanna take from this movie.

Anyway, as far as the film goes, I did enjoy it. I really liked Tiana, but thought she lacked believable chemistry with Naveen. They just fall in love too quickly, and over nothing really. The animation style was great for the enviorments, but I wish it had been more realism based when it comes to characters. I realize the sidekicks always look more cartoony, but there were so many of them, it needed someone else to take seriously. Especially when Tiana becomes a frog.

I thought the music was the weakest point by far. I new going in Newman wasn't gonna bring much, and he delivered. The visuals were so strong for the musical numbers, but his music just doesn't reach the same level. Really sad given the studios long history of great soundtracks. Even the underscoring for this was weak. When you look at such sweeping soundtracks as were used from Mermaid to Hunchback, it's a real shame. I did think the movie was better than where they left off however. Certainly stronger than Tarzan (since this movie had a story), Hercules (since the animation didn't look like a saturday morning cartoon), and Atlantis (since it wasn't try so desperately to be taken as a serious movie) but not up to the 90's standard just yet. it's a great launching point, and I think they needed to play it safe. Nothing too dark, nothing too deep. But I do hope we get back to business with Rapunzel, which Menken signed on for, so at least they're will be music.

As far as how it stands up the previous movies though, I think it's in the same place as Mulan. That was another movie I enjoyed, but had a few things that could of been helped. I really wouldn't change a thing about the films from 1989-1996, but after that something just happened. I hope they recapture it, but at least they're (pardon the pun) almost there.

• It's all about Theme!

^ But Rapunzel is going to be in CG animation!

Disney's Princess & The Frog is such a visual masterpiece, and is the best since The Lion King. I am very frustrated with the amount of people who are insisting on bringing the movie down by emphasizing race and ignoring how beautiful it really is.

The Music is wonderful, though I seriously prefer Disneyland's version of it better and I highly disagree with those who say that the music is the biggest down of the movie.

I wish that Disney hadn't copied stuff out of its prior movies, especially The Little Mermaid, but that seems to be the movie's biggest downer.

I truly hope that Princess makes Box Office magic so we can continue to see its influence in Disneyland's new Orleans Square. Tiana's Showboat Jubilee is the greatest show in Disneyland since Parade of Dreams and I would like for it to return.

In all Princess may not be perfect, but it's pretty damn close!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Mac Daddy, I can forgive you for liking Randy Newman's music. But the "sound' he has just doesn't "sound" like New Orleans to me.

When I think of New Orleans style music, I think Preservation Hall, the Dixieland style band. 1 trombone, 1 trumpet, a clarinet, a sax and a piano. Yes piano should be included, but I think the long time pianist at Coke Corner, Rod, had a better sense of re-creating the turn of the century music. Even player piano music evokes more of a turn of the century feeling, than Randy's songs. Just had to clarify what New Orleans Square music means to me, although I have only been there one time. (the real New Orleans Square, that is)

On to other things, regarding Prince Naveen, does it sound like he has a cajun accent? WHY would that be?????

• 60 Years of Magic!

I saw the 10:30 showing of this movie in a large theater in Tustin that had a pretty large crowd. I enjoyed the fim, and was very happy to see hand animation back. While I'm a huge animation fan, and love the computer animation ... Not everything needs to be computer animation (or 3D for that matter, but that's another story). The kids I was around in the theater seem to really enjoy the film.

I'm not the biggest Randy Newman fan, but I did feel most of the songs worked in the movie. I can't say I liked all of them, but enough to enjoy the music. I thought the animation was great, especially the backgrounds in catching the flavor of New Orleans. Having relatives in that areas, I've spend my fair share of time there, and loved the little details that were added.

I can see where some might say the characters were too stereotypical in parts, but that didn't bother me so much. The film is set in the South, and it is an animated feature not a drama set in New Orleans.

I hope the film is successful and we get more hand drawn animation back in the theaters. Studios will need to see something do well, before the jump off the computer animation bandwagon.
    Last edited by OC2Epcot; 12-12-2009 at 07:49 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by OC2Epcot View Post
    I hope the film is successful and we get more hand drawn animation back in the theaters. Studios well need to see something do well, before the jump off the computer animation bandwagon.
    heres to hoping that the snow queen is good and that we don't have any more animated disasters like home on the range( seriously, cow bounty hunters?! what was the guy who came up with that on anyway?!)!
    back to topic, im gonna see the movie tomorrow. from what i have read i am excited.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast