View Poll Results: What did you think of "Princess and the Frog"?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - 2D animation makes a hoppin' return!

82 70.69%
  • 4 Stars - A Hippity, Hoppity Good Time

26 22.41%
  • 3 Stars - An average leap

6 5.17%
  • 2 Stars - Where was Kermit?

1 0.86%
  • 1 Stars - It Croaked

1 0.86%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• I'm not really here

Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

Saw it this afternoon. Loved it. This is what I've been wanting from Disney for a long time. It's not Beauty and the Beast, nor is it Little Mermaid, but they are on the right track to create movies like that again. This was astonishingly good. There was real humor for kids and adults alike without too much of the vaudeville/slapstick stuff. It dealt with real issues such as responsibility to yourself vs dreaming about your future, death and loss. The villain was genuinely good. The whole shadow thing was creepy and very well done. There wasn't just one standout character, they all were excellent... though I think Ray had the best lines.

The animation was gorgeous. I honestly don't care if Facilier and Naveen look like the body style for Jaffar and Aladdin because Disney has a long and glorious history of lifting from their own previous works. The colors throughout the scenes were beautiful, the motion of the animation was incredibly smooth.

The whole firefly scene was just breathtaking.

I will be seeing this again and will definitely be buying it. Give us more of this Disney! More!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

For me its my one of the best Disney Films ever. The characters have so much more to them than just being "good guys" the Villain is strong and makes the movie much more interesting and the music is great no amazing new song like "whole new world" but the songs are still great.

If you have every liked a Disney film you will like this.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Again I haven't seen this yet, but when it comes to ranking all-time great Disney films, there should be two separate categories - "real Disney" and "Disney-Pixar". It's great to see that there is still a place for real animation, 2D.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

One word.. A-MAZING!!!!

Truly brilliant, breathtaking, beautiful. Loved every minute!! It was just a good ol' Disney romp!!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• ...is busy, please hold.

More Disney References!

-The whole "wishing on a star" element is a very frontal allude to Pinocchio.
    -The waltz between Letty and faux Naveen briefly resembles the final waltz between Aurora and Phillip in Sleeping Beauty.
    -On the Riverboat, when Louis is mistaken as a man in a gator suit by other musicians in animal costumes, the musician in the lion cub suit resembles Young Simba from Lion King.
    -When Facilier illustrates Naveen's situation through Tarot cards. His Past and Present cards animate in similar fashion to the stretching and shifting portraits in The Haunted Mansion.
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

When Facillier is "taken away" it is a total cave of wonders reference... same with his amulet and the opening of the mouth for blood.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• "I Break Things"

For the most part I enjoyed it. The kids loved it. The highlight for me was the representation of Creole music... which is often drowned out by the more popular jazz and dixie. Everyone had such a blast just listening to the firefly music (the crowd at one point started to quietly clap along). I also like how they used subtle references to establish the time period (the newspaper declaring Wilson's election... and later the picture of her Father from WW1). Most of all I LOVED the comment about how great food brings people together... that is the one thing more then anything else that made me tear up.

That said I did not appreciate the whole "singing in an art deco poster" number. I felt that was a throwback to Hercules and Emperor's New Groove... which is exactly what I DO NOT want to be reminded of when watching a traditional Disney animated movie. I also felt like I was watching Aladdin every time they switched to a voodoo scene. I really think a lot of effort was put into certain scenes while others were little more then glossy carbon copies of previous Disney movies.

For anyone looking for Disney references... the entire opening scene in the child's room includes everything from the Princess dolls to Mrs Potts and Chip.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I thojught this movie was great!! Obvs they were gonna get together in the end but I didn't find the movie that predictible at all.

I really liked the villian, though some of his parts might be too scary for little ones. And like someone else said, how the girls were such friends and willing to help each other out. Very good to see strong female friendships.

The songs were really good but some seemed short? I LOVED the animation of Almost There. The animation was really good in all.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Haven't seen this latest one yet, but Disney's animated stuff has been heavy on the "PC" for about 20 years now, which is longer than nine months, last time I checked.

Barry, what is that comment supposed to mean? That stories featuring non-white characters are some sort of insincere political pandering by powerful whites, meant to silence those who voice their displeasure at being unrepresented or underrepresented in popular culture?

Listen, if the desire amongst creative European-descended people is to only create stories featuring characters that look like them, and then purport to be the only representation of what "American" is, go right ahead and do that, and don't do any non-European-descended Americans any favors, if films like this are seen as "being PC" and there's no genuine desire to be inclusive. Non-white Americans are perfectly capable of creating their own characters and financing and distributing their own films, thanks.

Personally, I am genuinely interested in the stories and lives of people of all races, ethnicities, and nationalities, as well as stories that feature a wide variety of people, and since my America is populated with people of all ethnicities, I appreciate films that reflect that and at least make the effort to bridge the gaps, whether they succeed or not.

Sorry if I'm reading you wrong, Barry. I like you and respect you, but that comment just really smacked of white supremacist lamentation for days when the opinions and lives of non-white peoples weren't a concern, whether you intended that or not, and I had to call you on it.

• Banned User

A positive review from UrbanFaith.com:

Our Princess Has Come - UrbanFaith.com
    Our Princess Has Come

By Chanel Graham on December 11, 2009 Comments (3)

In The Princess and the Frog, Tiana shows Cinderella how to wear the tiara. (And Disney finally gets around to acknowledging my existence.)

Months before the film officially hit theaters, black women everywhere were already referring to Princess Tiana of Disney's The Princess and the Frog like her last name was Obama. That's how momentous the arrival of Disney's first black princess felt to us.
    Read the entire article here:
    Our Princess Has Come - UrbanFaith.com
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 12-13-2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Reduced to brief quote per MiceChat's copyright policy.

• Banned User

Review from the African American-focused online daily TheRoot.com -

The Princess and the Frog: Disney's First Black Princess Is Mostly a Frog

The Froggiest of Them All

Is Disney hedging its bets, afraid of letting too much blackness play front and center on the big screen?

By: Teresa Wiltz | Posted: December 11, 2009 at 6:05 AM

So this is what history in the making looks like: Disney-fied, gumbo-and-beignet making, blues belting, smart and feisty black girl pride.

Until, of course, this animated icon turns into a frog. And then she’s all of those things, but she can do froggy things, too, like eat flies while lecturing a lazy, but handsome, obliquely brown-skinned prince from some made-up country on the virtues of hard work and thrift.

(Oh, and said prince has been turned into a frog, too, which is how our historic heroine got into this mess in the first place.)

Teresa Wiltz is The Root’s senior culture writer. Follow her on Twitter.
    The comments on this review are interesting.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 12-14-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Reduced to brief quote per MiceChat's copyright policy. Full article at link.

• Banned User

EbonyJet.com (the website of major African American magazines Ebony and Jet) gives it 3 and a half stars -

EBONYJET Movies Page

THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG
    Review
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009
    By Sergio A. Mims

CAST: Anika Noni Rose
    Bruno Campos
    Keith David
    Jenifer Lewis
    Oprah Winfrey
    Terrance Howard
    John Goodman

WRITTEN BY: Ron Clements
    DIRECTED BY: Ron Clements and John Musker
    *** THREE AND A HALF STARS

When Walt Disney first announced a few years ago that it was in pre-production on their first animated feature involving a young black woman as the lead character, there was a lot of public hand winging, gnashing of teeth and sleepless nights among more than a few considering Disney’s less-than-progressive portrayals of black people in the past and the general portrayals of black women in general in the media. Even Disney caved in to the pressure, changing the lead character’s name from the innocuous Maddie to the more contemporary sounding Tiana, less the overly sensitive feel that Maddie sounded too similar to Mammy.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 12-14-2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Reduced to brief quote per MiceChat's copyright policy. Full article at link.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Why does it always have to be about race?

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    Why does it always have to be about race?
    I would ask the same thing but the answer isn't pretty. What I find interesting is that Mulan did not have nearly as much outpouring from the Chinese community. Aladdin did not have nearly as much outpouring from the Muslim or Arabic communities... yet both featured a specific racially defined cultural princess in their respective country of origin. I think it is sad that Disney released an amazingly well animated work of art and it is immediately being deemed a classic because the princess is African American. Like I said it is a touchy subject.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Either way I loved it, as did everyone in my party. This ranged from my Mother, all the way down to my son with my wife & daughter there too. Big range of ages and tastes but we all left the theather thinking we saw a very good movie.

Not interested in races or colors or backgrounds. It was a damn good movie period.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast