View Poll Results: What did you think of "Princess and the Frog"?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - 2D animation makes a hoppin' return!

82 70.69%
  • 4 Stars - A Hippity, Hoppity Good Time

26 22.41%
  • 3 Stars - An average leap

6 5.17%
  • 2 Stars - Where was Kermit?

1 0.86%
  • 1 Stars - It Croaked

1 0.86%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

Quick question:

I saw in the credits that Emeril Lagasse was a voice in the movie. Anyone know who he was?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Definitely the most emotional since the Lion King. sure hated to see poor little Ray pass on toward the end. But, he certainly transformed into a bright and shining star. The scene where Charlotte La Bouff set her own dreams aside to kiss the Frog Prince on behalf of both he and her friend Tiana was unexpected and beautifully touching.

My only criticism is that the musical score was not as strong as most Disney feature films... the lyrics were outstanding, though. In my opinion, Never Knew I Needed during the closing credits is a timeless ballad that surpasses all other songs in the film. Overall, P & F leap-years all other animated features this year.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Definitely the most emotional since the Lion King. sure hated to see poor little Ray pass on toward the end. But, he certainly transformed into a bright and shining star. The scene where Charlotte La Bouff set her own dreams aside to kiss the Frog Prince on behalf of both he and her friend Tiana was unexpected and beautifully touching.

My only criticism is that the musical score was not as strong as most Disney feature films... the lyrics were outstanding, though. In my opinion, Never Knew I Needed during the closing credits is a timeless ballad that surpasses all other songs in the film. Overall, P & F leap-years all other animated features this year.
    You might want to "Spoiler" your second sentence. Pretty crucial plot line you are giving away.

• Minion

Blog Entries

Emeril did the last of the gator's before Louis.

And I have another Disney reference that I was proud to spot. Alice Bluebonnet! Yep, she was there! at the beginning they are panning in front of Big Daddy's house and a horse and carriage goes by. Sure enough the horse is wearing a blue bonnet!

As for all the racial complaints....well, I have something to say.

Are they really going to complain about Disney not creating a black man for little boys to look up to. Tiana's dad was fantastic. there is there "happy black family" that one of the articles I read said was missing. He worked himself to the bone and still was there as a loving support for his wife and child. I would rather have a kid look up to him then the spoiled prince any day!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I think it is sad that Disney released an amazingly well animated work of art and it is immediately being deemed a classic because the princess is African American. Like I said it is a touchy subject.
    that's EXACTLY the way I feel. It's a wonderful movie. It's disappointing that it should be boiled down to a race issue.

• The Darkness to Light

Huh, I must be the only one that noticed the Haunted Mansion in the "Riding the Trolly Home" scene seeing as how nobody meantioned it yet.

Also, if you want a boat load of Disney In-Jokes, look at what's decorates Charlotte's room. She's got dolls in various past Disney Princess outfits (and strangely enough one of Tiana in her blue dress) and her dressing divider has the castle art used for Disneyland Paris. Not to meantion her doll house being a model off of the Beast's castle...

Oh, and the Hercules referance talked about earlier was in the Masquarade Ball with Big Daddy's costume.

All that said, did anyone else get the impression that the film was suppose to be in 3D but was yanked because of Avatar coming out this weekend? There were several times during Faclier's song and even at the end of "Dig a Little Deeper" where I felt like I was watching something that was meant to have that 3D depth perspective trick that only the Multi-Plane could do.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Quick question:

I saw in the credits that Emeril Lagasse was a voice in the movie. Anyone know who he was?
    gator Marlon
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• "I Break Things"

While a subtle nod to the past is nice every now and then... is there any reason they relied so heavily on it throughout the movie? It is a Disney film... I get that... but I am there to see that film not tributes to various films that came before it.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    Huh, I must be the only one that noticed the Haunted Mansion in the "Riding the Trolly Home" scene seeing as how nobody meantioned it yet.
    Are you talking about the DL version or WDW version? Cause, there's actually a house in the Garden District that looks just like the WDW version. I freaked when I saw it recently.

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

so i finally saw it last night with my boyfriend as my reward for finishing my 6 page essay in an hour in a half (yay!) although i had to pay for the tickets (boo!)

since sunday night is more of a "school night" for kids, we practically had the whole theatre to ourselves, so i was able to talk a little louder than usual (when naveem got hit by the book by tiana, i accidently let out an OOH!)

this paragraph is very optional to read: so overall i thought the movie was definitely a breath of fresh air from all the pixars (i mean i love pixar, but i haven't loved the last 2, too sappy for me, i mean if carl went to south america because it was on his bucket list, then yeah i would have actually enjoyed it, but the fact that it was for his wife, and with all these things in his way, i just kept feeling bad for him, and i just kept crying, i don't like to cry)

i probably expected it to be the next beauty and the beast or something, which is why i'm not going "omg i loved the movie!!!!!!" i did think they fell in love too fast, and maybe the fact that they were showing their emotions while still frogs was a little off for me.

Dr. Facilier was amazing! he's definitely on my favorite villians list. it's funny because my boyfriend was scared of him, but i like it!

so that's my review, i gave it 5 stars because i do think it was fascinating
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Fortuosity!

While a subtle nod to the past is nice every now and then... is there any reason they relied so heavily on it throughout the movie? It is a Disney film... I get that... but I am there to see that film not tributes to various films that came before it.
    I think alot of these references are in fans heads for the most part who interpret just about anything as a reference.

A horse is wearing a hat, how do you know it's Alice Bluebonnet? I looked for the Haunted Mansion and didn't find it. The dolls and other princess what not in Charlotte's room only vaguely resemble the Disney princesses as do her play castle and "Mrs. Potts" teapot (Tarzan, now that had Mrs. Potts) etc. I think the Mardi Gras floats, "Firehouse Five" and Carpet are among the only real references along with the Ron and John caricatures in the "Other Side" song (not their first time showing up in their own Disney movie) in the movie.

Besides, the reference list is on Wikipedia so how accurate do you think that is? I'll wait for the Blu-ray to get an accurate list.

As for your original question, I think it's just a game the artists play for fun to see how many they can sneak in. It's not really done to forward the plot but I do agree that it gets old after awhile. Only in a film like Enchanted does it really work.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Angie_Duke View Post
    I think alot of these references are in fans heads for the most part who interpret just about anything as a reference.

A horse is wearing a hat, how do you know it's Alice Bluebonnet? I looked for the Haunted Mansion and didn't find it. The dolls and other princess what not in Charlotte's room only vaguely resemble the Disney princesses as do her play castle and "Mrs. Potts" teapot (Tarzan, now that had Mrs. Potts) etc. I think the Mardi Gras floats, "Firehouse Five" and Carpet are among the only real references along with the Ron and John caricatures in the "Other Side" song (not their first time showing up in their own Disney movie) in the movie.

Besides, the reference list is on Wikipedia so how accurate do you think that is? I'll wait for the Blu-ray to get an accurate list.

As for your original question, I think it's just a game the artists play for fun to see how many they can sneak in. It's not really done to forward the plot but I do agree that it gets old after awhile. Only in a film like Enchanted does it really work.
    Mansion is in it... as is Mrs Potts and Chip (look at the cup right next to it). The princesses in the kid's room are actually taken from the Disney princess barbie dolls they are currently selling in the Disney Stores (my daughters have them). So some of the believed homages are a stretch, but others are definitely in there. It's not distracting per say. Once or twice is cute but even the opening seemed a bit of an overkill for me.

I did like the reference to "the Clapper"... which almost no one got. The "Grandma your butt's out" and then she claps and it turns on... that was funny!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• ...is busy, please hold.

^ I think the Mansion(Anaheim version) is the last house seen before the transition to the slums.

Also, later on in the film, in the reprise of Friends on the Other Side; three "friends" burst from busts resembling three of HM's Phantom Five (singing busts).
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I LOVE all the references! As long as it doesn't detract from the story - and none of these did. I missed so many. Must see it again
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Fortuosity!

Mansion is in it... as is Mrs Potts and Chip (look at the cup right next to it). The princesses in the kid's room are actually taken from the Disney princess barbie dolls they are currently selling in the Disney Stores (my daughters have them). So some of the believed homages are a stretch, but others are definitely in there.
    Once again I've watched the scene and failed to see the Mansion. Only some antebellum style homes that some might think are the mansion, but none with the distinctive 3 columns in the front (one had 8), wrought iron work or side elevations. Only one sorta had a similar style roof so I'll wait to hear from someone who actually worked on the movie before I believe it's intentionally trying to copy or be the Mansion. As for Chip again, I looked and did not see a cup with the same shape as him (not narrow enough), never mind the chip.

I did like the reference to "the Clapper"... which almost no one got. The "Grandma your butt's out" and then she claps and it turns on... that was funny!
    I got it, but it wasn't laugh out loud funny to me. Don't know if anybody else in the audience did.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast