Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Poor Performing Princess (and the Frog)

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    going to see alvin today.

Alvinnnnnnnnnnnn!!!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

TPATF has only been in theaters two weeks. Too early to call it dead.

We also need to take into consideration that TPATF has not even opened in many overseas theatrical markets. So over the next 6-8 weeks its box office total will skyrocket. It already has $54 million world wide gross. And let's not forget the second-run theater proceeds and DVD/Blu-ray sales that will come next year as well. So I would not be surprised at all if TPATF brings in over $500,000,000 in revenue for the Disney Company. Even Treasure Planet and Home on the Range, which some people call 'bombs', had box office returns of over $100,000,000. There's no such thing as a poorly-performing Disney film, at least not in the modern era.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    What about exhibit C: "Up"? A lot of MiceChatters were pretty hyped up about that, while a lot of people were predicting financial doom with the geriatric hero, and as far as I know it was a huge box-office success (and a critical success as well).
    You know what they say... even a broken clock tells the correct time twice a day. The point was hype here isn't really a good indicator... this audience is easy to hype-over if it's got a Disney tag.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    TPATF has only been in theaters two weeks. Too early to call it dead.
    Dead? No - it still has markets to expand to. Going to be a hit? No. The international markets can be bigger then the US - but not by 4x-5x - Heck more then 2x is an unusual condition. Even if the international is 2x... that's still just barely 100mil. The movie has had it's momment in the sun - and it fell basically flat. Even Enchanted opened bigger and will probably outdo it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    And let's not forget the second-run theater proceeds and DVD/Blu-ray sales that will come next year as well
    That's the money they are counting on to be the profit money - not just the money to break even. Will it gross more? Sure... but will it gross what it should vs. it's competition and it's expectations? Heck no.

Am I evil? yes, I am

The industry was very concerned about UP, because studio execs can't imagine that anyone about the age of 18 would be interested in any story about 'an old guy'.

Truth be told, it was a story line that pulled in every age group, and great word of mouth helped propel it to be a hit.

Frog, on the other hand only seemed to be aimed at the kiddies. Little female kiddies.

And as I've said before, from the trailers it looked like a re-hash of The Swan Princess.

This is a big stumble for Disney, but they do have a couple of other 2D films in the pipeline. If either one of them becomes a hit (Rapunzel) it will be a clearer indication of the true state of hand drawn animation.

Enchanted is a good example of the appetite being there for animation, if done right.

• Banned User

The industry was very concerned about UP, because studio execs can't imagine that anyone about the age of 18 would be interested in any story about 'an old guy'.

Truth be told, it was a story line that pulled in every age group, and great word of mouth helped propel it to be a hit.

Frog, on the other hand only seemed to be aimed at the kiddies. Little female kiddies.

And as I've said before, from the trailers it looked like a re-hash of The Swan Princess.

This is a big stumble for Disney, but they do have a couple of other 2D films in the pipeline. If either one of them becomes a hit (Rapunzel) it will be a clearer indication of the true state of hand drawn animation.

Enchanted is a good example of the appetite being there for animation, if done right.
    Rapunzel isn't 2D. It's uber-stylized CGI.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    Rapunzel isn't 2D. It's uber-stylized CGI.
    When Rapunzel lets her uber-stylized hair down in CG, box office tickets will soar sky high.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Call me the odd one on Up then. I watched it on the plane... I was bored out of my mind. Kids got it for xmas... but I doubt I'd watch it again.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Hmm, must have missed the 3d animation memo on Rapunzel. Too bad, because it could have been a beautiful 2d film.

Has any of the conceptual art for Rapunzel been made public?

• Banned User

Hmm, must have missed the 3d animation memo on Rapunzel. Too bad, because it could have been a beautiful 2d film.

Has any of the conceptual art for Rapunzel been made public?
    Google is your friend.

Gorgeous New Concept Art Photos from Disney's Rapunzel FirstShowing.net

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but originally Rapunzel was supposed to look and feel like a traditional hand-drawn animated Disney film, but in full 3D.

Wow, it looks great. I hope it at least looks like hand drawn animation.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'm going to finally see Princess & the Frog today. I have a ticket for the 4:55 show.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I'm going to finally see Princess & the Frog today. I have a ticket for the 4:55 show.
    I'm not even interested in seeing it on dvd...much less going to see it somewhere.

• I'm not really here

I think the bigger problem for TPATF is one of history. It has been a full decade with nothing but crap coming from the mouse. They don't have the brand name they used to. So no matter how much Disney markets this, no matter to what market segments, it will not do as good as it could. They have to earn back audience trust and that will come slowly through word of mouth. This movie is excellent and wonderful (certainly not a Beauty and the Beast, but it's on the right track). Word will spread. It's like when you have a great movie so everyone wants to see your next one, so even if it sucks it will sell great because everyone is wanting to see it. If you have a string of crap, when you do finally make something great, no one will go see it initially because of that mistrust.

Timing is another issue. Releasing it a mere week before Avatar was not a smart choice. They needed this to be the only big movie for several weeks and it wasn't so the audience gets stolen.

If this one flops, its because of brand name trust issues and really poor release strategy.

I would expect it to do well today though when families hit the theaters.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Call me the odd one on Up then. I watched it on the plane... I was bored out of my mind. Kids got it for xmas... but I doubt I'd watch it again.
    I think I can out-odd you there: I haven't wanted to re-watch any Pixar film since The Incredibles. Cars bored me silly, Ratatouille left me cold, and Up was one of those films that you respect rather than actually like. Maybe that's why I loved Astro Boy so much. It had so much heart, it was so much fun, it stuck with you afterwards (obvious in my case), and that hasn't happened to me with an animated film since Monsters Inc.

Sometimes I wish Pixar would go back to making fun movies again. I'm starting to get less and less excited with every new release from that studio.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast