Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Poor Performing Princess (and the Frog)

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I think the bigger problem for TPATF is one of history. It has been a full decade with nothing but crap coming from the mouse. They don't have the brand name they used to. So no matter how much Disney markets this, no matter to what market segments, it will not do as good as it could. They have to earn back audience trust and that will come slowly through word of mouth. This movie is excellent and wonderful (certainly not a Beauty and the Beast, but it's on the right track). Word will spread. It's like when you have a great movie so everyone wants to see your next one, so even if it sucks it will sell great because everyone is wanting to see it. If you have a string of crap, when you do finally make something great, no one will go see it initially because of that mistrust.

Timing is another issue. Releasing it a mere week before Avatar was not a smart choice. They needed this to be the only big movie for several weeks and it wasn't so the audience gets stolen.

If this one flops, its because of brand name trust issues and really poor release strategy.
    Yeah, I agree. The Disney suits have to start thinking about the studio's image and legacy, not just bucks. When they put out junk like G-Force, Old
    Dogs and those damn puppy movies, it makes the studio look like ***. Plus their publicity machine is ruthlessly self-serving; I watched that Disney Christmas parade today (at least parts of it), and it was so cheesy I think it clogged one of my arteries. Disney used to stand for innovation and quality; now it's serving canned corn and trying to play catch-up with Dreamworks and 20th Century Fox. It's sad, very sad...

I didn't care much for Ratatouille, though I think it's one of their best looking films

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    I think I can out-odd you there: I haven't wanted to re-watch any Pixar film since The Incredibles. Cars bored me silly, Ratatouille left me cold, and Up was one of those films that you respect rather than actually like.
    I think their films are very sound.. just probably not for me of late.

I mean looking back

Toy Story 1/2 - love. I think the spin they took on classic toys I used to play with and the personalities was so fresh and fun. Unfortunately for later films, what was so fun about it was 'rehash' in other films. Great songs.
    Bugs Life - characters again fun.. story fun.. good villain
    Monsters Inc - meh.. ok. Did not click with the 'adorable girl' grain of story.
    Nemo - middle of the road.. better then Monsters, but not as good as TS. Some characters like crush, ray, dory save the film.
    Incredibles - more adult, slightly more dark. The story is more about personal struggle then then the 'love/friend' stuff of earlier films. I like the film.
    Cars - lots of potential, the animation detail in the opening race sequence and what the road surface/etc looks like is amazing. I like the characters more then in Monsters Inc, etc... not a film I seek out, but like. Characters pretty good... like lugi.
    Rat - Ok. not dark, but not fun/fancy like TS is. Interesting story, but again, not a film I'd seek out.
    Wall-E - haven't seen, can't bring myself to sit down and watch either
    Up - bore...

Basically to me the uniqueness of Toy Story and it's great humor is what made them such run away hits. That is totally not in the last few films - they are different types of films and they haven't resonated with me as much.

It's never been about 3D or Cell Animation for me. Toy Story would have been just as great a film if it was animated like Aladin was. Which is why PatF being traditional animation didn't mean anything to me. I could care less.

Do people get turned off by the CGI in Alladin and Beauty and the Beast? No, the technology augments the art. Just like they do in futurma, etc today in TV shows. The depth and dimension they get in those CG segments are nice additions but don't dominate the imagry.

Pixar's efforts which have pushed CGI are stellar.. but like most special effects, I want them to blend away.. not be the focus. For instance Shrek.. do I really want to study the difference between DW's CGI and Pixar? Nope.. as long as it's not distracting I'm more interested in the 'big picture'
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I think the bigger problem for TPATF is one of history. It has been a full decade with nothing but crap coming from the mouse. They don't have the brand name they used to. So no matter how much Disney markets this, no matter to what market segments, it will not do as good as it could. They have to earn back audience trust and that will come slowly through word of mouth. This movie is excellent and wonderful (certainly not a Beauty and the Beast, but it's on the right track). Word will spread. It's like when you have a great movie so everyone wants to see your next one, so even if it sucks it will sell great because everyone is wanting to see it. If you have a string of crap, when you do finally make something great, no one will go see it initially because of that mistrust.

Timing is another issue. Releasing it a mere week before Avatar was not a smart choice. They needed this to be the only big movie for several weeks and it wasn't so the audience gets stolen.

If this one flops, its because of brand name trust issues and really poor release strategy.

I would expect it to do well today though when families hit the theaters.
    A Christmas Carol cruised over 100 million without much effort, but then again, they took that film on a train tour over the Summer. If they had put that much effort into this movie AND switched release dates, I think it would have performed much better. I still think it's a solid film, but the story isn't resonating with folks for some reason. I already mentioned the lack of interest my boys have, but my daughter would love to see it. But as it gets steamrolled by the Chipmunks this weekend, I really have to wonder if they will crack 100 million with it. And if they don't, will Iger and company stick with 2 D?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    You know what they say... even a broken clock tells the correct time twice a day. The point was hype here isn't really a good indicator... this audience is easy to hype-over if it's got a Disney tag.
    That happens to be one of my favorite sayings...but I don't see how being hyped about two films that didn't do well at the box office (both of which I wound up enjoying immensely, BTW), makes MiceChat a broken clock. BTW, I don't see a lot of hype here for DISNEY Old Dogs. (Um...does anyone know where Disney's traditional apostrophe "s" went? It used to be "Disney's" above the title, now it's "Disney")

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    It's never been about 3D or Cell Animation for me. Toy Story would have been just as great a film if it was animated like Aladin was. Which is why PatF being traditional animation didn't mean anything to me. I could care less.
    As someone once said, if John Lasseter told stories with sock puppets, they would still be engaging. However, I think that while Toy Story could have worked in any form of animation, it was particularly suited to CGI, and vice versa, just as certain stories are particularly suited to hand-drawn. The story goes that Lasseter gave Musker and Clements the choice of CGI or hand-drawn for PatF, and they chose hand-drawn. That's what's important - the choice. Variety.
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 12-26-2009 at 01:57 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Week #5 and Princess drops to #7 behind Blind Side with a 5 week total of 63 million. Avatar, in the mean time, stays at #1 and explodes up and over the 200 million mark in week 2.

Sherlock just did 65 million and Alvin did 50 million over their first weekend, and Princess had what? 27 Million????

Ouch.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 12-28-2009 at 08:00 AM.

• Shablagoo!

Current Box office total for Princess and the Frog: $63,357,000
    Current Box office total for Alvin and the Chipmunks 2: $77,051,000

Chipmunk hit,
    Frog not

• Felice Natale!

Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-26-2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: ...

I'm a single father of 3, and were a movie going family.
    So for this movie I thought it was just ok (which was a disappointment) cause I was looking forward to it. My son was pretty bored and asked if it was almost over half way through. My two daughters they liked it.

We all were pretty excited about seeing it, but for myself the villain is what saved it for me. I thought the guy made a good villain. The rest meh, the firefly I just did not care for at all.
    The songs were forgettable and I thought the story was just plain, it just felt like something was missing from it.

Side note my kids love Alvin so we'll hit the new one at the dollar theater.
    Avatar was a good movie we enjoyed that.
    Going to see Astro boy today.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

One thing I thought about over the last few days is aside from The Princess Diaries (and that was live action) this is the only Disney movie that mentions the word Princess in the title.

Think about it -- Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast. Those are all classic Disney Princess movies but the word Princess is nowhere to be seen in the title.

By naming this movie The Princess and the Frog, and even the original title whcih was The Frog Princess, it's as if Disney was naming it this in order to fastrack Tiana to the Princess line and make lotsnof money off of her. Unfortunately this appears to have backfired. It turned off a huge audience who otherwise would have seen this movie. And for those little girls who may have wanted to see it what they got was a love story between two frogs with a small amount of princess thrown in there.

I think this should have been a simple love story and the whole princess idea should have been removed. I think it would have attracted a lot more people that way. Because this movie really is trying to be a movie that it really is not.

I personally enjoyed this movie because I was able to de-emphasize in my mind the importance of her being a princess. If you look at it as just a simple love story it is pretty good. It is too bad Disney made her a princess. It alienates a huge market who would otherwise have gone, and it fails to deliver on the princess aspect of the story.

• Felice Natale!

Thumbs up Re: Poor Performing Princess (and the Frog)

Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-26-2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: ...

• Circle of Ancients

So much for "underperforming". Princess and the Frog gains about 11% in revenue for the weekend and is now at $86 million. I think Disney is probably quite happy with this.

The one I don't get is Alvin and the Chipmunks. Who is seeing this crap??? The same people who saw Transformers right???

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Plus another $45 million in Disney dollars from the 17 markets it is open in thus far overseas.

The first 'Alvin' movie somehow made over $360 million at B.O. and more from DVD and cable sales. If it wasn't cashing in with it's 2nd one THAT would be a story.

I believe this says alot more sadly about the general public audiences than it does about the quality of the films themselves. Not unlike all the folks claiming to love 2D traditional animation and then not go out and support 'TP&tF' or 'Ponyo' for example.

Didn't Steven Spielberg get some 'Transformers' $$ out of you either time around? Big bombast popcorn movies can make money accidently, look at '2012'. The same filmmakers already blew up & tore down alot of the same stuff in 'Independence Day' and 'The Day After Tomorrow', and the people still come running. And then complain afterwards how much it was like the other films.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Plus another $45 million in Disney dollars from the 17 markets it is open in thus far overseas.

The first 'Alvin' movie somehow made over $360 million at B.O. and more from DVD and cable sales. If it wasn't cashing in with it's 2nd one THAT would be a story.

I believe this says alot more sadly about the general public audiences than it does about the quality of the films themselves. Not unlike all the folks claiming to love 2D traditional animation and then not go out and support 'TP&tF' or 'Ponyo' for example.

Didn't Steven Spielberg get some 'Transformers' $$ out of you either time around? Big bombast popcorn movies can make money accidently, look at '2012'. The same filmmakers already blew up & tore down alot of the same stuff in 'Independence Day' and 'The Day After Tomorrow', and the people still come running. And then complain afterwards how much it was like the other films.
    PatF's box office is still pretty lackluster, even given the holiday uptick in ticket sales (which could only be expected, it being a family film). If you take into account that the film reportedly cost $105 million to make, and then there's advertising costs (which can be ruinously expensive), plus the basic Hollywood standard that says a movie has to make twice what it cost just to break even...the Frog is not in a good place right now. I'm not sure that 100 million domestic is even possible now, given that the holidays are over and kids will be back in school soon. Too bad.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast