Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• time to go

Re: Disney-Pixar Merger Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    I don't buy that argument... You see if Jobs is so busy at Apple, why the heck did he agree to be CEO of PIXAR?
    Probably because he was the individual who bought the company from Lucasfilm to begin with?

Remember, Pixar used to be both a hardware and software division of Lucasfilm. When George put Pixar up on the auction block in 1986, Steve purchased both divisions, kept the software (which also meant he got to retain Lasseter) but ditched the hardware. (I used to work for the digital imaging company that bought the hardware division.) Pixar didn't go public until 1995.

Pixar is essentially just as much as "Steve's baby" as Apple is.

• Disney Memory Maker

Film deal favoring Pixar: No
    Film deal favoring Disney: No
    Merger: Definately not
    Disney buying Pixar: Doesn't get any better than this
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

•   
    • Minion

Its up to Jobs to sell... He own's 50% of Pixar...

Of course if I where him, I would call Iger's bluff. Iger holding a pair of duces...

But why not put everything on the table at the moment... Iger obviously doesn't have the production team to dominate animation, he knows he needs PIXAR... Why not tempt him to go all in, while Glendale is sweating over wiether or not they are going to open with $30 million or $20 million... Particulary with reviews that Disney is getting, and having to jump to 3D Digital presentation is milking a dried up cow...

Friday, it could all be academic... It might be academic anyway...
    Check out my other blog:

• Photographer/Disney Lover

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." ~ Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

Seems such a slam-dunk to me. (And I've been working this angle for a long time. I want my commission!! Just 1% of the deal.)
    Keep Jobs on Board of Directors, so Pixar's computer animators aren't chopped in a "cost-cutting move."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

[pat on own back]Found this:
    Quote Originally Posted by sediment on MP 1/30/2004, after Eisner ruined the negotiations
    Well, if I were Mike for the purpose of deciding this one action, I wouldn't have accepted Pixar's offer, either. And Pixar shouldn't accept Disney's offer.

What does Disney provide to Pixar? I know what it used to: credibility, possibly some gags here and there, distribution, and possibly seed money.
    The first one is burned through, as Pixar has its own credibility, and it has paid Disney for borrowing credibility for past films with those films' profits. Pixar does not owe Disney for this.
    Second one is an unknown quantity, and if the two companies were co-producers, sharing creative talent and resources, there should be no question about splitting profits. Pixar doesn't want a co-producer, so no profit-sharing.
    The third one can be done by any studio for a fee.
    There is no need for the fourth one, and even if there were, it could be negotiated film-to-film.

Now on Disney's side, there should be no reason to give up the profits on two remaining contracted films in order to get ONLY distribution fees for future films. If Pixar wants those two films' profits, it should pay Disney for them, perhaps in profit sharing of future films and allow film-inspired attractions in their parks. After all, there's no reason to put attractions in the parks if Disney isn't going to profit from them in many ways. (Increased park admission is chump change next to DVD profits.)

I recommend that Disney buy Pixar. Certainly a better return on investment than Go or FoxFamily. Assuming, of course that it doesn't mess with the formula.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    Why not? I'm just curious...
    Steve Jobs is a salesman, almost the ultimate showman when it comes to making a sales pitch. He hires people to make the things that people get excited about.

I don't buy that argument... You see if Jobs is so busy at Apple, why the heck did he agree to be CEO of PIXAR?
    Jobs was kicked out of Apple for being a powermonger who burned bridges with all of his employees (Jobs is/was a seriously ruthless guy to work for who was not above screaming at employees for not giving him exactly what he asked for.) So sometime in the 80s John Sculley (then named Apple CEO) shoved him out the door and everyone was so upset with Jobs that nobody with stroke was willing to go to bat for him.

After that, Jobs created NeXT and bought Pixar. The NeXTStep computer platform was used for high-end demands, and Pixar created things like Luxo Jr that served to sell NeXT by showing people what they could do. NeXT was a huge failure, and Pixar is essentially doing the same thing they always have, with Macintosh this time.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Steve Jobs is a salesman, almost the ultimate showman when it comes to making a sales pitch. He hires people to make the things that people get excited about.

Jobs was kicked out of Apple for being a powermonger who burned bridges with all of his employees (Jobs is/was a seriously ruthless guy to work for who was not above screaming at employees for not giving him exactly what he asked for.) So sometime in the 80s John Sculley (then named Apple CEO) shoved him out the door and everyone was so upset with Jobs that nobody with stroke was willing to go to bat for him.

After that, Jobs created NeXT and bought Pixar. The NeXTStep computer platform was used for high-end demands, and Pixar created things like Luxo Jr that served to sell NeXT by showing people what they could do. NeXT was a huge failure, and Pixar is essentially doing the same thing they always have, with Macintosh this time.
    Dude... Businesses sell stuff... That is what they do... It's economics... Any CEO that doesn't sell their product is either a fool or an idiot...

This isn't what I heard about Apple, mind you... Apple was known as being one of the top computer firms to work for in Silicon Valley... (Pixar is one of the best companies to work for as well...) Even under Jobs... and yes he burned a few bridges, most people do in life... (Your analysis could be seen as true with Roy Disney and Eisner for that matter)

But what you have now with Mr. Jobs is an elder statesmen... He knows what works and what doesn't work... He is not afraid to take a risk and fail... He provides leadership, demands quality, works to inspire the best in his employees, and is a marketing genius.

Corporate Management is often a cut throat endevor... Because it involves power and politics...
    Check out my other blog:

• time to go

Cool Re: Disney-Pixar Merger Deal?

Pixar's earnings come out after the market closes on Tuesday (Nov 8).

Anyone expecting Iger to join Jobs in announcing a new Disney-Pixar distribution deal?

Anyone expecting the announcement of a merger?

FWIW... Chicken Little still holds at 37% on RT, and Friday's box office estimates are in the neighborhood of $10 mil to $11 mil (boxofficemojo.com). I'm guessing the weekend will be somewhere around the $25 million neighborhood, but I doubt CL will rise above $50 mil before HP: GoF hits the screens in less than two weeks. Not bad, but not strong enough.

One way or another, Disney needs Pixar. The combination of Disney and Pixar is indeed greater than the sum of their parts, the actual embodiment of "synergy" that Eisner repeatedly crowed about and crammed down the investors' throats, ad nauseum. Perhaps a distribution deal would be the best that anyone could hope for, given all the diplomatic damage that Eisner left in his wake. But if Iger is willing to give Jobs his asking price to purchase Pixar outright, then that might be the better way to go, for the long haul.

And if the purchase of Pixar by Disney also includes the addition of Jobs to the Board of Directors, then I'm all for it.

• The Candidate

Wasn't NeXT folded into Apple when Jobs returned?

• The Candidate

• The Candidate

You see if Jobs is so busy at Apple, why the heck did he agree to be CEO of PIXAR? Dude... WTF? He has plenty of time to be on the board of Disney... It is true He doesn't have the time for CEO or COO or President of Disney and expect to stay at Apple
    Jobs was CEO of PIXAR and then returned to Apple to save it from oblivion. For a salary he earns $1 per year. Of coarse, they also gave him a private jet and reimbursed him for the taxes that he paid on it. He also gets some hefty stock options.

Didn't I read recently that he wanted leave Pixar to concentrate on Apple?

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    I'm not sure what was left to merge? NeXT was mostly done for by the time Jobs replaced Amelio.

The problem with NeXT was that it wasn't a public company, it was owned soley by Jobs, and because of that he didn't have to tell anybody anything. He didn't have to release any sales figures. He didn't have to divulge any financial information. The employees of NeXT didn't know that the company was driving into the ground and the few people who bought the hardware did not know that they were one of the only ones to do so.

•   
    • Minion

I'm not sure what was left to merge? NeXT was mostly done for by the time Jobs replaced Amelio.

The problem with NeXT was that it wasn't a public company, it was owned soley by Jobs, and because of that he didn't have to tell anybody anything. He didn't have to release any sales figures. He didn't have to divulge any financial information. The employees of NeXT didn't know that the company was driving into the ground and the few people who bought the hardware did not know that they were one of the only ones to do so.
    It also ment that Jobs was financially responcible for the whole project... And probably did it to see if he could create a new Apple.

Apple tanked without Jobs... It is thriving now... Mostly because of iPod, but I also think because Mac's is price compedative it wasn't for a while.

The Video iPod opens up a new type of direction for Apple if they wanted to go in that direction... We'll see if they do or not...

My next computer is likely to be a Mac...
    Check out my other blog:

I posted a prediction similar to this on the old 'rtk' forum when it first started, and people didn't want to hear it. I still feel like the only reason Bob Iger is there is because Eisner thought with him in place, things like this whole Disney/Pixar thing would never happen. And I'll be the first to admit that so far, Iger has shown himself to be his own man, and has earned a lot of respect for breaking up a lot of the "good old boy" divisions in the company that Eisner put in place during his tenure. And with Roy back on the property, coupled with the unflattering portrayal in that book, I don't think that Bob will be in any hurry to have a "cissing pontest" with anyone anytime soon. Long story short............Iger= CEO, Jobs= Chairman, Lasseter= Creative director, Roy= Enforcer. Think about it. Could it get any better than this?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast