Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• time to go

Cool Re: Disney-Pixar Merger Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by seeyoubreezn
    Long story short............Iger= CEO, Jobs= Chairman, Lasseter= Creative director, Roy= Enforcer. Think about it. Could it get any better than this?
    The Dream Team. How could anyone NOT love this line up?

And you forgot one very important player: Tony Baxter=Principal Creative Executive, WDI. I know that Fitzgerald has been "groomed" to take over Marty's position, for when he finally steps down. Phooey. With Jobs as Chairman and Lasseter as Chief Creative Officer, Baxter should be in charge of Creative Development at Imagineering, and not one of the "yes men" from the old regime.

At the very least, I'm hoping that Tony becomes Pixar's "enforcer" for the "creative oversight" of characters and story within Disney theme parks, which Pixar is supposedly negotiating as part of the new distribution deal. He's already done blue sky for several Pixar-based attractions that are going into DL, DCA, and WDSP; why not just hand over "WDI/Pixar Creative Development" to him completely? Works for me.

• time to go

Question Re: Disney-Pixar Merger Deal?

Well, Jim Hill's prognostication about a new Disney-Pixar deal being announced by now hasn't panned out. (Yeah, yeah... I know what everyone is thinking. Agreed. "Nothing new to see here... move along, move along...")

Nevertheless... does anyone have any info or rumors or inklings about what's going on?

Will this be done before the year's end? Or held off until just before MacWorld?

•   
    • Minion

Re: Disney-Pixar Merger Deal?

I have a feeling that they are may still be working on it... Chicken Little did better than most expected, but it still isn't where it should be...

I think right now, if I was Pixar, I would be talking to them about Disney Digital 3D...

I will say this, the Trailer ran in front of Narnia looks pretty good... There are just too many animal stories going on right at the moment (Open Season and Over the Hedge - unfortunately they look the same same type of humor, same quality CGI)... this should be a good change of pace...

The problem with Cars is putting together something that is more than just a Cheveron Commerical... I am a little concerned...
    Check out my other blog:

• Music Meister

La Habra (15 mins from DLand on any good day!)

Thumbs up Re: Disney-Pixar Merger Deal?

In doing some research I came upon the following:

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX SUN JULY 09 2000 22:00:01 ET XXXXX

MEGA MERGE: INSIDERS SEE POSSIBLE DISNEY PURCHASE OF APPLE COMPUTER, PIXAR

**World Exclusive**

There are preliminary discussions of a three way merger between DISNEY, APPLE and PIXAR, sources revealed over the weekend.

APPLE/PIXAR's Chief Executive Steve Jobs "may leverage the computer giant and tech-studio to catapult himself to the chairmanship of DISNEY," one insider close to the action told the DRUDGE REPORT. "Both companies would be divisions of DISNEY, with Steve being president of both, as well as chairman of WALT DISNEY Co."

A senior DISNEY source late Sunday called the merger talk "wild speculation".

But APPLE and PIXAR reps, including Jobs' chief soul mate and software engineering whiz Avie Tevanian, are expected in Burbank this week, according to a DISNEY source.

DISNEY and PIXAR [TOY STORY, BUG’S LIFE] are currently in a joint partnership to develop five films. The third, MONSTERS INC, is deep into production.

"Steve will not sell PIXAR without APPLE," said one company source who demanded anonymity. "Steve will not leave APPLE for DISNEY. He wants DISNEY to take both."
    ---
    Seems this is an idea that has had legs for awhile. Perhaps Eisner perceived Steve Jobs as a threat and kept him at arms length. Being a big Steve Jobs fan I think it would be beyond great. He is a visionary who understands quality content and the potential of new technologies. Disney might rival Microsoft and Sony within 10 years!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DJLCB
    Seems this is an idea that has had legs for awhile. Perhaps Eisner perceived Steve Jobs as a threat and kept him at arms length. Being a big Steve Jobs fan I think it would be beyond great. He is a visionary who understands quality content and the potential of new technologies. Disney might rival Microsoft and Sony within 10 years!
    Oh, I know it would be great... I can see a senario where Jobs is the next chairman... I don't see Disney ever buying Apple... However, could you imagine what Disney could do if it owned the Ipod technology?
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

well if the deal is true there goes whats left of disney feature animation. unless they merged pixar and animation.

• e komo mai

I worry that Disney will buy Pixar promising to keep it in tact and as is. Jobs will be in some lofty position etc. Then down the line, Disney gets rid of everyone affiliated with Pixar and they keep Pixar's library.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    well if the deal is true there goes whats left of disney feature animation. unless they merged pixar and animation.
    They might keep them separate in case the public goes sour on computer animation.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    I worry that Disney will buy Pixar promising to keep it in tact and as is. Jobs will be in some lofty position etc. Then down the line, Disney gets rid of everyone affiliated with Pixar and they keep Pixar's library.
    I can see the concern. However, I think that in this case, Disney is attempting to buy the talent as well as the library. They haven't had a mega animation hit on their own in many years. People like Jobs and Lassiter would be very good for Disney. John Lassiter could easily take over the Animation department and help keep the scripts tight and animation cutting edge (as it always used to be before the accountants took over). This is, if anything, an attempt to buy back what Disney has lost.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• e komo mai

Here's to hoping...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    John Lassiter could easily take over the Animation department and help keep the scripts tight and animation cutting edge...
    This would be the biggest benefit, imho. But often I don't trust the suits at the Mouse to make the right decisions.

This is, if anything, an attempt to buy back what Disney has lost.

-Dusty
    BINGO!

Already posted. Deleted.

• Here to change the world

I can see the concern. However, I think that in this case, Disney is attempting to buy the talent as well as the library. They haven't had a mega animation hit on their own in many years. People like Jobs and Lassiter would be very good for Disney. John Lassiter could easily take over the Animation department and help keep the scripts tight and animation cutting edge (as it always used to be before the accountants took over). This is, if anything, an attempt to buy back what Disney has lost.

-Dusty
    Wow, I don't think I could have said it better myself. The fact that Disney is even hinting at a buy-out is great. It shows that they acknowledge the fact that they no longer are the leading animation company in the world, the title that the company was built on, and by buying Pixar they are trying to regain that title. Pixar is what Disney used to be. Disney has been producing movies with pop-culture references and no heart, while Pixar is churning out movies that are already considered timeless classics. Just think if Snow White had quotes and throwbacks to other movies when it came out. 70 years later, it would be considered rediculous.... But anyway, I'm rambling. In short, Pixar now is what Disney used to be.

• Circle of Ancients

I agree with Dusty 100000%!!!

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Captain EO
    Just think if Snow White had quotes and throwbacks to other movies when it came out. 70 years later, it would be considered rediculous...
    And yet, two of the most popular animated-movies of all time (Aladdin & TLK) have many pop-culture references. And although few people like to admit it, Pixar movies have just as many pop-culture references as any others. First of all, there's Toy Story. Both these movies probably have more pop-culture references (each) than Shrek. The other Pixar Movies also have their fair share of pop references.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast