Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Disney-Pixar Merger Deal?

Regarding pop culture references:
    Just means that you have to write them well in order to make them work.

That requires good writers. Like the ones at Pixar.

Disney wants Pixar, because it doesn't want any other studio to have it. And owning it would mean no more future negotiations and possible losing it to another studio.
    Makes perfect sense.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Here to change the world

What were the pop culture references in Toy Story? Hakuna Matata on the radio? Binford on the tool chest? Those are the only instances I can think of... The same goes for the other Pixar movies, mostly little throwbacks (like the name of the club in Monsters is Harryhausen) that most people won't notice. They don't rely on pop culture for their stories. Shrek on the other hand.... And I'm a big fan of both Shrek movies, they were really funny and I loved them, and own them on dvd. It is just a different calibur and genre of animation/comedy. I think the Pixar movies will have the shelf life in the long run, just like the early Disney movies. As far as Aladdin and Lion King go, sure, they are chalk full of pop culture references, but when the point comes down to it, it's the story and songs that make both movies great. None of the songs in either movie rely on pop culture jokes. I also wasn't talking about how much they made in the box office at all. I mean Shrek 2 was one of the highest grossing movies ever! I just don't think 70 years from now people will still understand 100% of the jokes like they do today, and it won't be as popular as, say Finding Nemo, where someone doesn't have to have any background knowledge to understand all of the jokes. That's alls I'm saying.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Captain EO
    What were the pop culture references in Toy Story?
    I can't name every one here. Just rewatch the movie. Pretty much everything is a pop culture reference (barbies, video games, Al's commercial, Pizza Planet, the claw, the toys, preskool references, etc etc etc). Litterally every moment of those films contain pop-culture references.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

I wouldn't consider "barbies" a pop-culture reference. Been around for over 40 years. Having one of them say "math is hard!" would be a pop-culture reference. Having them be contestants in a "Toy Idol" competition would have been a pop-culture reference.

I'd like you to rewatch the movie and note them for us, since you are the one claiming that every moment is a pop-culture reference.

I know there are some, but the ones I remember are from TS2 -- for example, when Zurg tells "Doesn't know he's a toy" Buzz that "I am your father!" That is a pop culture reference.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

^ Again though, by the same "Barbie has been around 40 years" thing ... Star Wars has been around almost 30.

The way I look at it is this ...

The pop-culture references that are used in the Pixar movies will still be pop-culture when we are gone so why should it concern us.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    ^ Again though, by the same "Barbie has been around 40 years" thing ... Star Wars has been around almost 30.

The way I look at it is this ...

The pop-culture references that are used in the Pixar movies will still be pop-culture when we are gone so why should it concern us.
    True. And I think I'm 10 years off on the Barbie thing, too.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    I wouldn't consider "barbies" a pop-culture reference. Been around for over 40 years.
    And yet people consider the King Kong segment of CL pop-culture.

Having one of them say "math is hard!" would be a pop-culture reference.
    How is that pop-culture? As far as I'm conserned, Math has been around for thousands of years.

Because people b***h & complain when Disney includes them & yet Pixar is no different.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    How is that pop-culture? As far as I'm concerned, Math has been around for thousands of years.
    See how you don't understand what I'm referring to? That's because it happened some time ago, and now most people have forgotten it or were too young to know any better. For your continuing education, Teen Talk Barbie uttered this phrase in 1994, according to the internet.
    That's the problem with putting in real pop-culture references, not historical-icon references.

(You still shilling for CL? Thought that bird was dead. And who's considering the KK scene in CL a pop-culture reference? Or are you going to make us look that up, too?)

• Here to change the world

I think I have a major difference what I consider to be pop culture and what others do. To me, like said earlier, pop culture would be something like when Shrek is hanging upside down with the mud on his face, and he wipes it aways and kisses Fiona (Spider-Man) or if, say in Toy Story, they had a scene where after Buzz 'flew' through the air, they cut to 3 toy parodies of Simon, and the 2 other American Idol judges giving their opinion on how he did. Showing a Mr. Microphone isn't pop culture. Having a barrel of monkeys isn't pop culture. Using a Etch a Sketch isn't pop culture. Having a shot for shot remake on a scene from The Matrix is. And like said early, "saying, I am your father" is.

But now we're getting off topic...

My original intent was just to show, in my opinion, Pixar has the strongest stories in the current animation field. Their stories are better than Disney's or Dreamworks, in my opinion. I merely cited pop culture as a weak point in Disney (and Dreamworks) stories, which would effect how the public view the movie in the long run. Since Disney did not use anything like that in their early movies (imagine if Snow White started doing the jitterbug while the queen played a Wurlitzer organ! Yes, bad example...) they have become "timeless" ie, they aren't tied to a certain period, and since pop culture usually references what is funny now, it ties the movie to that generation, causing generations in the long run miss the joke. And since Pixar barely (if almost never) uses it in their movies, in my opinion, they are much more likely to become timeless, and that is a reason why the public loves them so much, even if they don't realize it.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Captain EO
    And since Pixar barely (if almost never) uses it in their movies, in my opinion, they are much more likely to become timeless, and that is a reason why the public loves them so much, even if they don't realize it.
    It's another reason why the public KEEPS loving them. We're almost always playing a Pixar movie over the many others we have in the house.

Heck, even the "I AM your father" is more iconic than pop-culture. Even all of the Don Rickles references ("Yoyo" "Hockey Puck") are iconic more than they are pop-culture.
    Pixar movies were made to last. Having near-permanent attractions at Disneyland is more evidence to that. Being able make attractions without having to negotiate every four films: priceless. Well, there is a price: $7 billion.
    This is a better purchase than The Angels, The Ducks, Go, and Family Channel combined. Because it sticks to the core business and solidifies the public perception that Disney is a Family Entertainment Company.
    Family Channel would have been good, if not for Crazy Pat, spouting hate.
    Sports teams are sometimes thought of as wholesome family entertainment, until you actually go and hear the filth sewing out of fans' mouths (after, of course, beer is swigged into those mouths). Not saying it's not acceptable entertainment, as I like to spew filth as much as anyone at a game, but it's not family-friendly.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Sports teams are sometimes thought of as wholesome family entertainment, until you actually go and hear the filth sewing out of fans' mouths (after, of course, beer is swigged into those mouths). Not saying it's not acceptable entertainment, as I like to spew filth as much as anyone at a game, but it's not family-friendly.
    I think that is why when Disney owned the Angles they set up the "Family Zone" in left field. Back then Beer was not allowed in this section.

As far as the Pop References, I think animation works best when it is multi leveled. For example, in the Lion King, Timon and Pumba do the Arsenio Hall pump at one point. When the film was fresh it provided an extra laugh. However, it wasn't vital to the scene so today's kids can still enjoy it without understanding the moment.

I also think that the specific toys in Toy Story were pop references that were placed in the movie for the parents to set a tone. They could have used generic toys, but that wouldn't have given the same "I remember those" moments. BTW, if I remember correctly, Bo Peep was supposed to be a Barbie but Matel didn't think that it would be a good idea. I bet it was the same person who decided that putting M & Ms in ET wouldn't help sales.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    I also think that the specific toys in Toy Story were pop references that were placed in the movie for the parents to set a tone. They could have used generic toys, but that wouldn't have given the same "I remember those" moments. BTW, if I remember correctly, Bo Peep was supposed to be a Barbie but Matel didn't think that it would be a good idea. I bet it was the same person who decided that putting M & Ms in ET wouldn't help sales.
    Meh, the wholesome Bo Peep figurine works for me, story-wise. I mean, Woody would have to dump the Barbie for her anyway. 'cause that's what woody would do.
    I like the use of Barbie in the toy store of TS2 (and in the outtakes with Stinky Pete and the flight attendant).

• Rock Star Minion

$7.4 billion

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060124/disney_pixar.html?.v=2

And that's a bit weird, since PIXR's market cap dropped to $6.85 Billion by the end of the day. And DIS stock price went up.
    It's an all-stock transaction, but the actual number of DIS shares that each PIXR share is worth is not disclosed as of this second.
    DIS closed at 25.99
    PIXR closed at 57.57.
    In order for this to work, I think that each PIXR share should be worth 62.19, and that would convert to about 2.39 shares of DIS stiock.

In the end, it will be one of those deals either that changes in value or that multiple will change to keep the $7.4 billion amount.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

At what point does something go from pop culture to iconic status? I'm with sediment. "I am your father" is more iconic than pop culture, if it were from a movie that was few years old, such as all the matrix spoofs that followed I'd go with pop culture. But things such as a Star Wars reference from the first three films can and should be iconic at this point, is "follow the yellow brick road" or anything from Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, etc.. pop culture, no I'd say they are iconic and a known part of our society. Will people understand the Prince Justin poster in Shrek 2 20 years from now? not likely. Will they understand "I am your father" yes they will, because it wasn't a current pop culture reference.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy
    The Dream Team. How could anyone NOT love this line up?

And you forgot one very important player: Tony Baxter=Principal Creative Executive, WDI. I know that Fitzgerald has been "groomed" to take over Marty's position, for when he finally steps down. Phooey. With Jobs as Chairman and Lasseter as Chief Creative Officer, Baxter should be in charge of Creative Development at Imagineering, and not one of the "yes men" from the old regime.

At the very least, I'm hoping that Tony becomes Pixar's "enforcer" for the "creative oversight" of characters and story within Disney theme parks, which Pixar is supposedly negotiating as part of the new distribution deal. He's already done blue sky for several Pixar-based attractions that are going into DL, DCA, and WDSP; why not just hand over "WDI/Pixar Creative Development" to him completely? Works for me.
    "... and Lasseter as Chief Creative Officer..."

Yikes! That was some call on my part. And way back in November, too.

As for the rest of my previous post...

Not sure if Jobs will become Chairman (doubtful), but what about the changes to WDI that Lasseter will surely bring, as the new "Principal Creative Advisor" for WDI?

What will become of Fitzgerald, once Marty finally retires? Will there be an executive shakeup in Glendale (hopefully), on this news?

With Lasseter having a greater say in creative development for the parks, perhaps my "Dream Team" won't be that far from reality, in the near future.

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234