Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Disney-Pixar Merger Deal?

OK, here is a discussion for this slow news day...

I was reading an article that had a blog section on it... It was on the recent Apple-Disney Ipod deal.... And it had something interesting in it:

There was a suggestion that since a Disney Pixar Merger has been watercooler talk on Wall Street for some time now, This anonomous blogger suggested that this is next rabbit Iger and Jobs may pull out of their hat....

Unfortunately I can't find the exact article it was, but it was a busness trade magazine...

GRANTED THIS IS ONLY SPECULATION...

But when you think about it, a deal of this nature, even though it would be expensive for Disney makes as sense - and maybe even more sense - than having Disney buy out Dreamworks Animation.

Why? Well, it will likely get Steve Jobs a seat on the board for one, which is something Roy Disney would be tickled about... I don't see Steve Jobs taking on much more than an advisory role at Disney... The reason being is I don't see him giving up Apple...

Something to think about... and discuss...
    Check out my other blog:

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Disney-Pixar Merger Deal?

Oh god, I've only been suggesting this for years!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon on 5-1-04
    Why on earth would Jobs sell? More likely scenario would be Disney buying him out for the express purpose of moving him into the CEO job at Disney. That's the only scenario I see which involves Pixar selling itself to the mouse (more of a merger, really) And if they did it, we'd get Lassiter in the deal, which would/could put Lassiter in charge of the studios. And since he's a former Jungle Cruise captain, I'm guessing he'd be quite the advocate for improvement at the parks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon on 3-29-04
    I want to see a creative merger where Disney acquires Pixar, but installs their management in place of current management. (EG: Jobs and Lassiter)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon on 1-23-04
    Oh good, people agree with me Always nice when that happens. I think the best thing that could happen for Disney right now, would be
    a)board kicks out Eisner
    b)board makes merger deal in which it "acquires" Pixar, (along with its management team), but keeps the Disney name overall
    c)Steve Jobs becomes new CEO of Disney, with John Lassiter heading up all that is creative in the world
    Okay... I can't find any older quotes... but I'm sure I said this way before then!

Oh wait, here it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon on 12-10-03
    Which leads to a theory of mine:

Everyone knows that corporations merge all the time. Sometimes it is two companies merging for the sake of combining their efforts to reduce costs. Sometimes a company will "merge" (fancy word for acquire) with another company in order to control something (assets). Other times, two companies will merge in order for one company with great assets to acquire another company's great management.

For example (wishful thinking), Disney could acquire Pixar, keep the Disney name, yet install the Pixar leadership.

Time has proven that Disney is a 2-man job. Walt and Roy, Eisner and Wells. When there is only one leader (Ron Miller, Eisner w/out Wells), the company falters. But imagine Disney under the leadership of Steve Jobs and John Lassiter.

Food for thought.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

Hmmmm...I'm not sure this would be a good thing. I have these visions of Disney sucking the creative juices right out of Pixar. "Bugs Life III: Heimlich Reloaded" anyone?

• insufferable know-it-all

So uh, yeah Cellar, I think it's a good idea

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

•   
    • Minion

The logic behind it is that only a merger would have the abilty to produce a simular deal as before... And you wouldn't have the problem of Disney promoting "Pixar Pals" at one park and having another park promote "Pixar Pals" too but of their later films...

Oh, and I think it could be done where they kept Pixar gets to keep creative autonomy of it's unit... it is just that Disney owns a percentage of Pixar's business... Rendorman (the tech side of Pixar business) then goes to Apple...
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

Hmmmm....not so sure this is such a bad idea anymore after giving it some thought and reviewing Morrigoon's ideas. Especially like this one...

c)Steve Jobs becomes new CEO of Disney, with John Lassiter heading up all that is creative in the world

Some other variation of this idea would be OK too; where Pixar management essentially takes over the whole mess or Disney management only owns part of Pixar. Then I could see a Disney/Pixar merger being a good thing!

• Having a Grand Day!

No Steve Jobs!

•   
    • Minion

No worries... I don't see Jobs taking up the CEO position... Only because I don't think he will let go of Apple... Which is his baby... Disney's CEO or even COO is such a big job, he would have to leave Apple... That is not likely to happen... However a position on the Board of Directors, even Chairman... I can see that happening...
    Check out my other blog:

• ...lurks...

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    No worries... I don't see Jobs taking up the CEO position... Only because I don't think he will let go of Apple... Which is his baby... Disney's CEO or even COO is such a big job, he would have to leave Apple... That is not likely to happen... However a position on the Board of Directors, even Chairman... I can see that happening...

I agree- even if someone gave him a keen ear and listend to his advice...look at how he turned around Apple...Disney would be no exception...he could do wonders with the Park as well.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    No Steve Jobs!

Why not? I'm just curious...

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Oh god, I've only been suggesting this for years!...
    Okay... I can't find any older quotes... but I'm sure I said this way before then!...
    Oh wait, here it is:
    As have I. If I had access to MP at work, I think I could find something I said in 2003.
    Again, my (I think) idea:
    1. Sell Cap Cities acquisition, as it is not what the public perception of Disney is. (And that public perception is way more important than Eisner's/Iger's perceptions of Disney.) Time Warner, or any cable company, would love to have this, as it would lower their costs (of offering ESPN) while screwing all the other cable companies. Time Warner especially, as it is the largest Hollywood company without a major network in the same stable. (The WB does not count.)
    2. Use proceeds to buy or merge with Pixar.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

I like some of the suggestions.

If this happens, and it's a BIG IF, I see this happening:

Iger retains his role as CEO

Jobs retains his role with Apple, but is Chairman of the Board of Disney as well.

Lassiter is the creative head.

• Imaginative Possibilities

DIsney and Pixar is grand as we all know. So far from what Im reading and what not Iger can't ignore this elephant in the room. It's only a matter of time before they go back to table. Only problem is that Iger is gonna have to bite the bullet unlike Eisner and realize that Disney isn't going to get such a sweet deal like they did when first signing up with Pixar. As for Jobs, he is way to busy turning around Apple to even consider a seat on the board(or so I think anyways). Disney/Pixar like peanut butter and jelly.

• Circle of Ancients

I think everybody knows that Disney isn't going to get as big of a piece of the pie as they have now, at least when it comes to the distribution of the movies.

And to be honest, they don't deserve as big of a share as they have now. If they finance 50% of the movie they should get 50%. If they finance 20%, they should get 20%.

Of course you throw in the marketing juggernaut that is Disney and it changes that somewhat, but not as much as the current deal is.

As long as they retain the merchandising and the rights to use any new Pixar characters in the parks all should be good.

I don't see Jobs fighting to keep Pixar out of the parks as I'm sure it helps their bottom line with DVD sales, etc.

Personally I hope that Chicken Little tanks. If it does gangbusters Iger may re-think going back to the table with Pixar.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by IMAGINE
    DIsney and Pixar is grand as we all know. So far from what Im reading and what not Iger can't ignore this elephant in the room. It's only a matter of time before they go back to table. Only problem is that Iger is gonna have to bite the bullet unlike Eisner and realize that Disney isn't going to get such a sweet deal like they did when first signing up with Pixar. As for Jobs, he is way to busy turning around Apple to even consider a seat on the board(or so I think anyways). Disney/Pixar like peanut butter and jelly.
    I don't buy that argument... You see if Jobs is so busy at Apple, why the heck did he agree to be CEO of PIXAR? Dude... WTF? He has plenty of time to be on the board of Disney... It is true He doesn't have the time for CEO or COO or President of Disney and expect to stay at Apple...

I don't see any reason why Jobs couldn't have a seat on the board... Despite maybe having the desire to actually spend more "time on the job" then the current Chairman (George "Yes, Mr. Eisner" Mitchel) who still doesn't bother to actually see any of the current Disney films... Shocking!!!
    Check out my other blog:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast