• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

OSHA finds Disney at fault in regards to the July WDW Monorail CM Death - Bloomberg

Walt Disney World Cited by U.S. in Monorail Crash (Update1) - BusinessWeek

Walt Disney Co.’s Walt Disney World was cited by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration for safety violations involving the death of a monorail driver in a July collision at the Florida theme park.

The U.S. safety agency said in an e-mailed statement today that it proposed $44,000 in penalties against the company, including $7,000 for a serious violation related to the fatality, the maximum amount allowed for such a citation.

“Disney should have put procedures in place that would have prevented the fatal crash from occurring,” David Michaels, the head of OSHA, said in the statement. “Employers need to take effective and ongoing corrective action to protect the health and safety of their workers.”

A worker was killed in July when two of the monorail trains that travel through the park collided while switching tracks, OSHA said. The company was cited for serious violations for not providing a place of employment free from recognized dangers that could cause death or serious harm by exposing employees to collision hazards.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: OSHA finds Disney at fault in regards to the July WDW Monorail CM Death - Bloombe

I knew it.

Really sad this had to happen for them to correct their ways. Ugh. One's life isn't worth the money saved or whatever it is that lead to this.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: OSHA finds Disney at fault in regards to the July WDW Monorail CM Death - Bloombe

CB, you ain't the only one... The more we dissected the accident and the lapses in judgement setting up the operating rules that allowed it to happen, the more I felt it was totally preventable.

Simply by having the MAPO train proximity safety system in Bypass for several miles of backing up in the blind rather than the bare minimum (turn it back on as soon as the backing train is clear of the spur line), no camera system to see the rear of the train - or no Cast Member in the rear cab to act as a lookout if the Pilot stays in the front cab, no signs or mileposts to show which line you are on, no indicator lights to show which way the switches are lined...

And the Pilot should have known he was on the wrong beam when he was approaching the wrong platform. He should have been coming into the outside platform, not the middle one - or opposite, I'd have to go back and look again.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1