Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Your Favorite Movies of 2009

It's that time of the year to review the year in movies. Let's hear about your favorite movies of the year.

1) Avatar - No question about this whatsoever. I absolutely loved it and can't wait to see it again.
    2) Up - Pixar does it again with this adventure movie with a heart of gold.
    3) Star Trek - George Lucas ... look at what JJ Abrams did with Star Trek, erase the prequel trilogy from our collective psyche and start again!!!
    4) District 9 - Extremely original, great story, great acting, great action and effects that didn't take away from the emotion of the story.
    5) The Hangover - For once, a comedy movie that was absolutely worth the hype. Absolutely hilarious movie, the first truly quotable comedy since Superbad.
    6) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - After Order of the Phoenix, I wasn't sure that David Yates was the man for the job. But the movie was absolutely amazing.
    7) (500) Days of Summer - A traditional romantic movie with a non-traditional leading character = really good movie. I thought it was well written, acted and directed. The fact that the amazingly HAWT Zoe Deschanel comes off as such a B**** makes this movie great.

I only have about 7 movies in my top-10 so far. I could put 3 "okay" movies here, but I don't want to do that. I'll wait until I see some other movies on my "must see" list before completing it.

Movies I haven't seen yet that may enter my top 10:
    Inglorious Basterds (I fully expect this to)
    Up in the Air (as well as this)
    Sherlock Holmes
    The Princess and the Frog

Biggest Dissapointments:

Transformers 2 - Just a steaming pile of crap. Michael Bay ... go with George Lucas, watch Avatar, Star Trek and District 9 and see that you can make an action movie with brains and heart without having to dumb-down your audience.

I honestly think that was the only movie to dissapoint me this year. All the other movies I saw that were crap (Ice Age 3, GI Joe, New Moon) I figured would be crap anyway.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 12-28-2009 at 09:23 AM.

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

Re: Your Favorite Movies of 2010

I only have two..Up which was fantastic (Ed Asner was just awesome) and The hangover...Just rembering the Mike Tyson makes me laugh out loud
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Your Favorite Movies of 2010

2010? You have the capability of time travel?

I'm guessing you mean 2009.

Well, I really didn't see many movies this year (if I go more than twice in a year, that's a lot), but of the few I saw, I liked these:

Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince
    This Is It (technically not a movie movie, but...)

Up would probably be on the list, but I haven't seen it yet.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Your Favorite Movies of 2009

^ Thanks for catching the 2010 thing ... sheesh, usually I write the previous year until at least March, this year I'm ahead of the game.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Here are some of my favorite movies of '09

Star Trek: I'm not really a Trekkie, but I do respect TOS. I loved this film. My second time watching it I was a bit annoyed with all forced lines. (IE Damn it I'm a doctor, not a physicist)
    Up: I didn't see this in theaters so I missed out on the 3D. It is amazing how much thought Pixar put into this movie, I reccomend listening to the Developers Commentary.
    Inglorious Basterds: I honestly believe it did not live up to the hype, but it was still a great film.
    Gran Tarino: A simply great movie, I don't know what else to say about it.
    Coraline: I thought it was a good movie. I enjoyed just how odd and out there it was.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Hangover and Up .

• Cars Land Rocks!

Up was certainly a good film .... Up to the standards I would expect from Pixar. I have not seen Avatar yet. Being a long time Star Trek fan and a JJ Abrams fan I had great anticipation for this new invention of the Star Trek franchise, and I was not disappointed. I thought this was a great film and loved how they found a way to make it new without destroying what Star Trek had been.

•   
    • Kerplookee

The Hurt Locker
    Star Trek
    Badder Meinhoff Complex
    Hangover
    District 9
    Inglorious Basterds
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Probably Gran Torino- I loved that movie and I watched it over and over again

Inglorious Basterds- Great movie. What can I say?

Avatar was amazing, despite a somewhat familiar storyline.

District 9- Planning to get this on DVD.

Worst? Probably Transformers- Why? Who allowed this to happen? What a waste of time.

• Minion

That's a tough one, there's so much... from Up, The Hangover, District 9, Gran Torino to even Watchmen (did anyone forget about that great movie) but definetly at the top of my list is Star Trek, Transformers (say what you want, I actually likled it) and Avatar. The one that will probably be on my list once I see it is Inglorious Basterds. I can go on and on with my favorite movies of 2009, there's just way too many too remember... I really need to start writing down the ones I liked somewhere!
    Follow me on Twitter for live updates & pictures from the park:

• Banned User

Well, my fave of 2009 is - surprise! - Astro Boy. I'm so glad I didn't let my doubts prevent me from giving it a chance. Beautiful animation coupled with a soulful, well-told story of grief, loss, rejection, redemption, self-sacrifice, father/son love, humor and pathos all dressed up in a sprightly musical score and giant robot fights. When it comes to emotional impact and just plain fun, it was everything that its lesser cousin - Up - wasn't. When this comes out on DVD, I urge you guys to rent it and find out why I keep raving about it. I guarantee your kids will adore it - and you may like it too.

Speaking of Up, it's my second fave. It tried hard, and in its first 15 minutes or so, it succeeded in, being memorable and, well, uplifting. But the rest was just random incidents wrapped up in a tiresome environmental polemic dusted with talking doggerel starring the cast of Snoopy vs. The Red Baron. Meh.

Princess and the Frog is my third fave. Again, a good try. But Disney's throwback to the '90's had the accomplished style but not the creative substance, and it fell a bit short. Too bad.

I haven't seen Avatar yet, nor Sherlock Holmes, so my list may be a bit premature. But I can't see either one (especially given the reported lameness of Avatar's script) surpassing my number one choice. It was just that good.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    It's that time of the year to review the year in movies. Let's hear about your favorite movies of the year.

1) Avatar - No question about this whatsoever. I absolutely loved it and can't wait to see it again.
    2) Up - Pixar does it again with this adventure movie with a heart of gold.
    3) Star Trek - George Lucas ... look at what JJ Abrams did with Star Trek, erase the prequel trilogy from our collective psyche and start again!!!
    4) District 9 - Extremely original, great story, great acting, great action and effects that didn't take away from the emotion of the story.
    5) The Hangover - For once, a comedy movie that was absolutely worth the hype. Absolutely hilarious movie, the first truly quotable comedy since Superbad.
    6) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - After Order of the Phoenix, I wasn't sure that David Yates was the man for the job. But the movie was absolutely amazing.
    7) (500) Days of Summer - A traditional romantic movie with a non-traditional leading character = really good movie. I thought it was well written, acted and directed. The fact that the amazingly HAWT Zoe Deschanel comes off as such a B**** makes this movie great.

I only have about 7 movies in my top-10 so far. I could put 3 "okay" movies here, but I don't want to do that. I'll wait until I see some other movies on my "must see" list before completing it.

Movies I haven't seen yet that may enter my top 10:
    Inglorious Basterds (I fully expect this to)
    Up in the Air (as well as this)
    Sherlock Holmes

Biggest Dissapointments:

Transformers 2 - Just a steaming pile of crap. Michael Bay ... go with George Lucas, watch Avatar, Star Trek and District 9 and see that you can make an action movie with brains and heart without having to dumb-down your audience.

I honestly think that was the only movie to dissapoint me this year. All the other movies I saw that were crap (Ice Age 3, GI Joe, New Moon) I figured would be crap anyway.
    My list would generally be the same as yours with some caveats.

I haven't seen The Hangover and I probably won't. I think this flick's been too overhyped, and I'm afraid it won't be as great as the world claims it to be. In its place, I might put Coraline, a film I didn't discover until I bought it on Blu-ray. (And I totally agree with your comment about David Yates.)

I saw Sherlock Holmes last night; I liked it a lot but would probably add it to my top 10 list for '09.

I also haven't seen the other films on your haven't-seen-yet list. But methinks Inglorious Basterds will be one I'll be watching soon; all my friends whom I've asked about it say it's awesome! I also hope to see The Princess and the Frog in theatres, hopefully by this weekend. I could probably wait until Blu-ray for Up in the Air, but it does sound like a story I'd enjoy. I saw Taken on sale at Target; have not heard a bad word about it, so I might pick that up too.

I totally passed on Transformers: ROTF and am very, very proud of that feat! All of my friends felt they wasted their money on it. But I did think GI Joe was good; not top 10 material but entertaining for what it was.

By the way, here's apparently the top ten earners of the year. I am so surprised by the animated flicks on this list. Sheesh!

Top 10 Box Office Movies of 2009 - Photo Gallery on Yahoo! Movies

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Star Trek
    Up
    The Hangover
    And I'll be in the minority but we loved Monsters vs Aliens and The Proposal also(Hellooo naked Ryan Reynolds!)
    I'm guessing The Blindside will be added to my list, I haven't seen that yet.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Up: Another great and instant Pixar classic. This is in my top 5 of favorite Pixar movies. It plays on alot of emotions which you don't see alot in Pixar films.

The Princess and the Frog: As biased as I may sound this is an excellent return to Disney animation with amazing music and an amazing story!

Paranormal Activity: The scariest movie I have ever seen... hands down!

Transformers 2: I actually highly enjoyed this film as much as people enjoy bashing it.

Where the Wild Things Are: My favorite childrens book comes to life and absolutely blows my mind!

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: Honestly not expecting much from this film I was really in aww by the whole thing! Great film!

Duds:

Halloween 2: The biggest waste of time and money you will ever spend.

• "I Break Things"

As a parent my "list" is a bit different. I broke it down into my own favorites, family favorites, and biggest disappointments. Tinkmomma and I try to get out once a month as a couple.

My Favorites

Public Enemies- HIGHLY inaccurate but Depp's performance of Dillinger was spot on. I also have a weakness for period films with classic 30's cars.

Sherlock Holmes- I went more in depth on another thread. I really enjoyed this one.

The Hangover- First time in a long time that I laughed so hard my sides hurt when I left the theater.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince- Predictable, but magic is always fun

Star Trek- saw this at the cheap $1.50 theater... not really "great" by any means but the space scenes all but demand to be seen on the big screen.

Angels & Demons- another $1.50 show... predictable but the historical references were fun. It convinced me to read the book (which was a mix of better and worse).

Up- yet another $1.50 show... I enjoyed it, but I think Pixar could have done a lot better. Kids didn't really like this one.

The Taking of Pelham 123- Great performances by both Denzel Washington and John Travolta. James Gandolfini also delivers some beautiful East Coast one liners.

Watchmen- A lot like the comics, dark, but fun to watch.

Outlander- Direct to DVD and pretty entertaining if you ask me! Possibly one of the best rentals I have had in a long time.

Inkheart- We took the kids to this and it was a bit darker then we expected (which is why it isn't on the family list). That said it was still an interesting movie.

Underworld Rise of the Lycans- Tinkmomma and I love the Underworld series. This gave a lot of backstory and filled in a lot of the missing pieces.

Bride Wars- Tinkmomma dragged me to it and I actually ended up laughing and enjoying it.

Films the whole family enjoyed

Ice Age 3 Dawn of the Dinosaurs- This was one of their first 3-D movies. They enjoyed it so much that we saw it again in the cheap $1.50 theater and eventually Santa came through with it as a Christmas gift

Toy Story Double Feature- Technically these are older movies re-released... but the kids LOVED it.

The Princess and the Frog- good music, solid animation, again kids loved it.

Night at the Museum Battle of the Smithsonian- cheap $1.50 theater strikes again. This was a lot of fun for the kids. It was predictable for us adults... but the kids absolutely loved it.

Monsters VS Aliens- Not my favorite, but the kids loved it. Another $1.50 special.

Hotel for Dogs- DVD rental, kids laughed the whole way through.

Biggest Disappointments

XMen Origins Wolverine- really didn't have high expectations to begin with but this was by far the worst XMen to date. Thank God for the $1.50 theater.

Land of the Lost- Even Will Ferrell couldn't save this one.

Year One- Funny, but not that funny. Another save from the $1.50 theater.

Transformers 2 Rise of the Fallen- My cousin talked me into going to this. If they can make a transformer that looks human why haven't they kidnapped most of the world leaders?

Terminator Salvation- My cousin talked me into this one too... if Skynet is so advances how come you can reprogram a Terminator bike with a phone and a USB port?

Fast and Furious- DVD rental, really just rented it for the cars but even that was pretty lame.

Paul Blart Mall Cop- DVD rental... what was that... honestly what was that?

Taken- DVD rental... I'm not a big fan of the whole James Bond over the top unbelievable I am invincible movies...

For anyone needing assistance remembering the past year's movies I utilized
    Theatrical release schedule - January 2009 - Movie Release Dates
    Last edited by techskip; 12-29-2009 at 09:57 AM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast