Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Iger ushering in new Disney era of Risk-Taking!!

http://www.metronews.ca/reuters_ente....asp?id=103299

At Disney, Iger has tossed out Eisner's planning-by-committee and is once again fostering a rigorous climate of risk-taking and experimentation. So far he's the only studio chief to incite the ire of theater owners by declaring his interest in day-and-date theatrical and DVD releases. He's promoting a costly initiative to upgrade cinemas around the country with digital projectors. He's seeking distribution of Disney content on cell phones.
    That is only a paragraph of the article. It's a very good read.

We shall see if this keeps up.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Iger ushering in new Disney era of Risk-Taking!!

That is good because Disney needs a risk taker again. Taking risks is healthy for keeping the company going in new directions.

• Huh?

Well, at least Iger so far isn't as bad as many of us feared... but he hasn't been there long enough to know anything for sure. We still need to wait and see if he's going to SaveDisney...

Until he takes the big risk and restoring the power and order of WDI and WDFA, I'm not going to be too joyful. WDFA will take time to restore, but WDI is quite something he can save right away, but yet I'm not seeing him make the moves yet.
    -Tim

• Circle of Ancients

^ But we don't know what he's doing behind the scenes.

Sure fixing WDI sounds like it would be easy, but rushing into a decision probably isn't the best thing either.

I'd like to think he's weighing all options before doing anything drastic.

• Huh?

Ok... clarification: the reason why it would be the easy place to start is because it's still in existence, but the layoffs keep coming. Simple way to start? Stop the layoffs. Even if that's all that's done, it's enough to stop further damage.

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes.... true. I do have high hopes for Iger based on what he's done so far. But I'm also cautioned as well because it's still too early in the game. Too early to say yay or nay about him.
    -Tim

• Circle of Ancients

^ Agreed 100%.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt ... for now.

• ...lurks...

Glad to see some risks- Walt did it and look what he was able to do with his empire. Playing it safe, is not always the way to go.

• e komo mai

Risk can be good. Disneyland was Walt's big risk...

• ...lurks...

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    Risk can be good. Disneyland was Walt's big risk...

Well said!

• Minion

One thing he needs to do which is not so much of a risk-taking issue .. is RESTORING WDI to the creative entity it once was. There's been too much "cutting off an arm here .. cutting off a leg there".

• ...lurks...

Quote Originally Posted by Escapé
    One thing he needs to do which is not so much of a risk-taking issue .. is RESTORING WDI to the creative entity it once was. There's been too much "cutting off an arm here .. cutting off a leg there".

*frowns at truth of too much cutting* yes, and what's left isn't very impressive, is it? WDI 'MADE' Dinseyland- to stifle it, stunts all the parks creative edge and growth. There have not been any new honest to goodness 'wow' rides or attractions in ages. They should stop shooting for 'Disney' quality- as that's lost it's luster do to budget cuts- perhaps they could focus on 'Walt' quality instead...

• Minion

I think Iger has great business savvy and has some great ideas for the business end of things. I also get the impression that he's a likable guy who knows how to make profitable business connections. I don't yet get the feeling that he has the creativity and vision for the entertainment side of things. I might be wrong...who knows?

If that's the case, then I hope he has the ability to nurture creativity and vision in those around him. I have to agree with other posts here in that focusing on WDI is of paramount importance right now. Like others have already stated, WDI is what makes Disney special!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by shadow
    There have not been any new honest to goodness 'wow' rides or attractions in ages. They should stop shooting for 'Disney' quality- as that's lost it's luster do to budget cuts- perhaps they could focus on 'Walt' quality instead...
    I think there have. Of course it's all in Tokyo.

Journey to the Center of the Earth
    Pooh

The difference. WDI didn't have any price restrictions because Disney wasn't footing the bill.

• time to go

Sad Re: Iger ushering in new Disney era of Risk-Taking!!

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    Ok... clarification: the reason why it would be the easy place to start is because it's still in existence, but the layoffs keep coming. Simple way to start? Stop the layoffs. Even if that's all that's done, it's enough to stop further damage.
    What makes you think that Iger even sees it as "damage"?

What makes you think that Iger wasn't the one who ordered the layoffs to ramp up?

Remember... even though he wasn't "officially" in charge prior to October 1, he was, in essence, calling the shots once he was named as Eisner's replacement.

The layoffs will definitely continue under Iger, because that's what Iger wants. WDI is going to be downsized further, as will (I suspect) DisneyToon Studios. And once a new Pixar deal is inked, I think you can kiss Circle 7 Studios goodbye as well. Iger seems very determined in making all the business units "leaner and meaner" under his watch.

Trust me. WDI will be a shadow of its former self by the time the 50th Celebration is done.

• ...lurks...

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    I think there have. Of course it's all in Tokyo.

Journey to the Center of the Earth
    Pooh

The difference. WDI didn't have any price restrictions because Disney wasn't footing the bill.

Pooh? In Tokyo or here in the states- because here, that's not a 'wow' ride..matter of fact in my book, it's down right borning. Sad to have the CBPH out for that.

Journey to the Center of the Earth- that has to be Tokyo...I know Dinsey probably could afford to foot the bill on at least one 'wow' ride every other year. If not, do what Walt did- find a decent sponsor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast