Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Don Hahn's 'Waking Sleeping Beauty' 3/26/10

It was like any other class reunion -- friends who hadn't seen each other for decades catching up while "When You Wish Upon a Star" played in the background. But even though there also was talk of old wounds and slights, this holiday-season gathering wasn't marking the anniversary of any high school or college graduation. Instead, the several hundred people crowding into Hollywood's El Capitan Theatre had come together to revisit one of the best comeback stories in show business history: the resurrection of Walt Disney Animation.

The reunion was actually a screening of "Waking Sleeping Beauty," a new documentary recounting the 10 years starting in 1984 when Disney's animation arm was transformed from a rudderless shadow of its former self (the dark and disturbing "The Black Cauldron" marking the nadir) into the creative and financial heart (with the life-affirming "The Lion King" at the apex) of the sprawling entertainment conglomerate.

Scheduled to be released theatrically March 26, "Waking Sleeping Beauty" will premiere to local audiences today at the Palm Springs International Film Festival. While the movie is not likely to generate as much "is-that-fool-based-on-me?" chatter as 1992's "The Player," the documentary does offer an unusually forthright peek into one of the most contentious but ultimately fruitful periods in modern Hollywood.
    full article at:
    When Disney cartoons became reanimated

The film 'Waking Sleeping Beauty' shows how the studio went from the bleak '80s to creative and box office success.
    When Disney cartoons became reanimated - latimes.com

8/24/09
    http://micechat.com/forums/news/1223...iere-tiff.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Don Hahn's 'Waking Sleeping Beauty' 3/26/10

The trailer is available. CANNOT WAIT!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvQmZkEhIio]YouTube - Waking Sleeping Beauty - HD Trailer[/ame]

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• "Always On The Move..."

Wow!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Disney Movie Rewards is hosting one of the advance screenings*:

Monday, March 15, 7:30PM
    MoMA, NY, NY. Part of Tim Burton Retrospective,
    Q&A with Don Hahn and Peter Schneider*

Wednesday, March 17 at 7PM
    BAMcinématek, Brooklyn, NY
    Q&A with Don Hahn, Peter Schneider
    and Patrick Pacheco*

Thursday, March 18 at 7PM
    Smithsonian Institution
    Carmichael Auditorium
    , Washington, DC
    Q&A with Don Hahn and Peter Schneider*

Wednesday, March 24 at 7:30PM
    Presented By Disney Movie Rewards
    Burbank, CA
    Q&A with Don Hahn*

and post-opening:

Wednesday, March 31 at 7:30PM
    Philadelphia Film Society
    Prince Music Theater, Philadelphia, PA
    Q&A with Peter Schneider*
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Darn, I just missed the showings in Sedona at their film festival, this past monday and wednesday!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Thanks to the generosity of Peter Schneider, Stone Circle Pictures and Red Shoes Productions, Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS is thrilled to offer a special sneak preview to friends of BC/EFA of the much anticipated WAKING SLEEPING BEAUTY, director Don Hahn and producer Schneider’s behind-the-scenes look at the decade that saw a transcendent resurrection of animation giant Walt Disney Studios, on Tuesday, March 16.

This exclusive 7:30PM screening will be held at The Directors Guild of America, 110 West 57th Street, between 6th and 7th Avenues. Following the screening, there will be a discussion and Q & A with Don Hahn, Peter Schneider and Patrick Pacheco.
    A very limited number of complimentary seats are available to BC/EFA friends and supporters. Click here to book your seat now.

Waking Sleeping Beauty is no fairytale. It is a story of clashing egos, out of control budgets, escalating tensions... and one of the most extraordinary creative periods in animation history.
    Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS and Affiliate Fundraising Programs - Waking Sleeping Beauty

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Don Hahn will make Q&A appearances in L.A. after the following showings this weekend:
    Friday, March 26 — Q&A following the 7:45pm showing at AMC Century City

Saturday, Marcy 27 — Q&A following 1210p-150p show at the AMC Burbank 16, 125 East Palm Ave

Saturday, March 27 — Q&A following 7:55-9:35p show at the AMC Burbank 16, 125 East Palm Ave
    Peter Schneider will make Q&A appearances this weekend in NYC after the following showings at Landmark’s Sunshine Cinemas on Houston Street:
    Friday, March 26 — Q&A following the 5pm and 7:15pm showings.

Saturday, Marcy 27 — Q&A following the 12 noon, 2:30pm, 5pm and 7:15pm showings.

Saturday, March 27 — Q&A following the 12 noon, 2:30pm and 5pm showings.

Waking Sleeping Beauty opens Friday | Cartoon Brew: Leading the Animation Conversation

• Happy Memories

I just got tickets to see the film and attend a Q&A with Hahn during the Sarasota Film Festival in April. I can't wait!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Thanks great, he's a terrific speaker and a very personable guy.

Hope you have a chance to check out his two wonderful books before the event, Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: Volume 1: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures and Volume 2: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures

Do you know if this movie will also be released in Europe? Until now I couldn't find a releasing date for any European country.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

LA Times film critic Kenneth Turan seemed very impressed.

An excerpt:

Hard as it is to believe today, it was not so long ago that animation in general and Disney animation in particular were art forms given up for dead. Things got so bad that in 1984 the studio, which had been kick-started into success by "Snow White" almost half a century earlier, ingraciously booted its beleaguered artists off the lot and onto bleak rented premises.

But, as it happened, the glories of the world were not yet ready to depart the stage. As detailed in the fascinating new documentary "Waking Sleeping Beauty," an unlikely combination of personalities and circumstances came together in the next decade to create a run of animation successes -- "The Little Mermaid," "Beauty and the Beast," "Aladdin" and "The Lion King" -- that exploded into unprecedented profitability.

This tale of artistic reincarnation is a classic show business story, not lacking in temper tantrums and clashing egos, and as told in "Waking Sleeping Beauty" it's got a terrific inside Hollywood sensibility plus an unblinking candor that lets the chips fall where they should. Which, given who made it, is something of a pleasant surprise.
    Full review here. (latimes.com)
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   

Are there plans for this to get wider release through independant movie theaters, the screening offered are still VERY limited. It is mostly playing only in California, with few screening in NYC and Chicago and one scheduled for Philadelphia. I haven't come across anything for even a DVD release of this, and I would really liek to see this.

saw it yesterday at the AMC theater in Century City. Unfortunately I couldn't go to the the 7:45 showing for the Don Hahn Q&A since I had transportation issues.

It was a good documentary, though not quite what I had expected. It was very interesting to see the inner workings of the studio, however I felt like there was too much focus on the politics between Eisner/Katzenberg/Roy Disney and not enough of everything else. I feel like the movie could have been so much more. Overall I would give the movie a B.

"How do I depreciate this rock?"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by loveberri87 View Post
    saw it yesterday at the AMC theater in Century City. Unfortunately I couldn't go to the the 7:45 showing for the Don Hahn Q&A since I had transportation issues.

It was a good documentary, though not quite what I had expected. It was very interesting to see the inner workings of the studio, however I felt like there was too much focus on the politics between Eisner/Katzenberg/Roy Disney and not enough of everything else. I feel like the movie could have been so much more. Overall I would give the movie a B.

I'm not quite sure what you were expecting? More of a story about the movies themselves? I thought it was a great peak at what became one of the biggest hollywood political dramas of our time. I wanted it to keep going.

I spoke with Don Hahn afterwards and asked him how much was cut from the film and he said that at one point it was about four hours long. The DVD will have 85 minutes of extra footage which is something to look forward to.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Disneyland PAP

I thought about catching a screening over the weekend here in LA, but I got too busy. Now, like Alice in Wonderland, I may just wait for the DVD, or hopefully Blu-ray!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast