More Disney Stores to close soon

I heard last week that one of our local stores were closing and yesterday Disney announced a statement, on their website and on facebook that others across the country are going to shut their doors too. Seems like this is in preparation for the new Imagination Park redesign they are planning to roll out over the next few years. And lower traffic stores just aren't going to make it as the destination location they are hoping to create. I'm going to really miss the Silver City Galleria store, it was the first Disney Store I ever went to, but it was inevitable with the way that mall has been treading lately.

They opened three new stores, in the last six months, in this area as temporary locations to see if they would be in good markets for a new redesigned store. I'd expect to see more stores closing and new locations opening during this proposed 5 year plan to remodel.

Here is the announcement Welcome to Facebook | Facebook there was a list of stores to close but it seems to have been removed. But here is the list before it disappeared, I am assuming that the list is not definate and more may be added (or taken off).

USA

ALABAMA
    Riverchase Galleria - Birmingham, AL

CALIFORNIA
    South Bay Galleria - Redondo Beach, CA

COLORADO
    Southwest Plaza - Littleton, CO

FLORIDA
    Broward Mall - Plantation, FL

GEORGIA
    Arbor Place - Douglasville, GA

IDAHO
    Boise Town Square - Boise, ID

ILLINOIS
    Yorktown Center - Lombard, IL
    Spring Hill Mall - West Dundee, IL

INDIANA
    Glenbrook Square - Fort Wayne, IN
    Greenwood Park Mall - Greenwood, IN

KENTUCKY
    Florence Mall - Florence, KY

MASSACHUSETTS
    Silver City Galleria - Taunton, MA

MICHIGAN
    RiverTown Crossing - Grandville, MI
    Southland Center - Taylor, MI

NEW MEXICO
    Coronado Center - Albuquerque, NM

OHIO
    Belden Village Mall - Canton, OH

SOUTH CAROLINA
    Broadway at the Beach - Myrtle Beach, SC

TENNESSEE
    Coolsprings Galleria - Franklin, TN
    Opry Mills - Nashville, TN

TEXAS
    The Parks At Arlington - Arlington, TX
    West Oaks Mall - Houston, TX
    Collin Creek Mall - Plano, TX

VIRGINIA
    Dulles Town Center - Dulles, VA
    Valley View Mall - Roanoke, VA

CANADA
    BRITISH COLUMBIA
    Metropolis at Metrotown - Burnaby, BC

MANITOBA
    St. Vital Centre - Winnipeg, MB

ONTARIO
    Scarborough Towne Centre - Scarborough, ON
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 01-14-2010 at 08:25 PM.

• Too far from Disney World

Re: More Disney Stores to close soon

Florence in Kentucky?!?! NOOOOOO!!!! That leaves the ENTIRE Cincinnati area without a Disney Store! Now the closest one is up in Columbus. They closed Northgate and Tri-County last year. So so sad
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Yeah new mexico store has been open for 18 years. Makes me sad.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

From the Silver City Galleria yesterday

They say they aren't closing till April so I am surprised to see this sign out already and no clearance sales going. They told me the animation from around the store is not going to be destroyed like it has been in past closures, they are donating them to children's hospitals now!

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

the one near me is still open
    but sad to say..its gone to only kids stuff.

^^That isn't unique to your local store only, they all have become nothing more than cheap toy stores. The chain of stores found in the malls across America all have the same stuff, yet people keep thinking that some stores have a better selection of merchandise than other locations.
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 01-23-2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: spelling error

that is sad, i remember when they used to sell collectable merchandise. last couple times i went they had nothing worth buying. It was all the same toys and plushes found in other toy stores

Hmm.. the broward one is closing =(. Does anybody know if when they close they have big closeout sales, or they just go to other stores or something (I am not that upset, there are a lot down here :P).

Quote Originally Posted by Alphapanchito View Post
    Hmm.. the broward one is closing =(. Does anybody know if when they close they have big closeout sales, or they just go to other stores or something (I am not that upset, there are a lot down here :P).

Not sure but how they are going to handle each location but typically they have clearance sales and the remaining stuff that didn't sell is transfered to the surrounding stores.

Funny you mention how there are a lot of stores near you. Yet there are some large markets that don't have a single store nearby. Only reason I am sad to loose our store here is only because it was my first store ever visited as a guest not cause it is my favorite store. But there is no shortage of Disney Stores in the area. Currently there are 8 stores (including the one closing) just in MA and if I wanted to head out in any direction I could be at each one in about an hour most of them less than 30 minutes. There is not one store that is more than 20-30 miles apart from the next closest store. Actually I could be at any one of the 12 New England store in about an hours drive, except for the only Connecticut store which is two hours from home, but only one hour from the RI store.

• Everything's satisfactual

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Funny you mention how there are a lot of stores near you. Yet there are some large markets that don't have a single store nearby. Only reason I am sad to loose our store here is only because it was my first store ever visited as a guest not cause it is my favorite store. But there is no shortage of Disney Stores in the area. Currently there are 8 stores (including the one closing) just in MA and if I wanted to head out in any direction I could be at each one in about an hour most of them less than 30 minutes. There is not one store that is more than 20-30 miles apart from the next closest store. Actually I could be at any one of the 12 New England store in about an hours drive, except for the only Connecticut store which is two hours from home, but only one hour from the RI store.
    There used to be so many stores in Westchester NY and now there are none left. What a shame that they are still closing some. The closest one according to DisneyStore.com is at the Palisades mall. But at least I'm lucky on the other hand; the Disney Store in the Roosevelt Field mall near my vacation home in Long Island is going to be one of the first to be remodeled. EDIT: Whoops, I don't remember the names of all of the different store models.
    Last edited by mastromjm; 02-09-2010 at 03:48 AM.
    Walt Disney World May 1998
    Walt Disney World May 2002
    Walt Disney World March 2003
    Walt Disney World March 2004
    Walt Disney World September 2005
    Walt Disney World March 2007
    Disneyland August 2010

Check out my YouTube channel with Disney theme park music!
    Music of the Mastro Master

Visit my Disney entertainment blog!
    Disney Entertainment History

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mastromjm View Post
    There used to be so many stores in Westchester NY and now there are none left. What a shame that they are still closing some. The closest one according to DisneyStore.com is at the Palisades mall. But at least I'm lucky on the other hand; the Disney Store in the Roosevelt Field mall near my vacation home in Long Island is going to be one of the first to be remodeled. Currently it's in the Millennium layout I think, it has lots of characters around but is not green and pink.
    The Roosevelt Field Mall is also the home of the Doorway to Dreams for the DVC, so Disney really has put a lot of stock in that mall. I HOPE that store never closes, as it's the second closest store to us.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

That is pretty cool I didn't know they had DVC sales outside of the parks. What is the set up for it, is it a separate kiosk in the mall or in the Disney Store?

Mastromjm, I don't know if it is a Millenium store if it has characters around it, the millenium stores I've seen don't have a character anywhere and look very plain.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    That is pretty cool I didn't know they had DVC sales outside of the parks. What is the set up for it, is it a separate kiosk in the mall or in the Disney Store?
    It's a separate space in the mall (not even on the same floor)...the setup is a welcome/waiting area with a small theater for an orientation video. Then, there is a reception area to meet with a DVC rep, and there is a full size 2 bedroom mockup of Bay Lake Tower. It's a great place, and if DVC never came to New York, we probably never would have bought.

I believe there is also one in Chicago.

Sorry for the OT!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!