Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Cars Land Rocks!

Re: Anyone Else Dissapointed With The Lack Of Blu-Rays??

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    When people's DVD players die... they'll buy a bluray player.
    That is exactly what I did. I wasn't really in a rush to buy blu-ray, but my 10 year old DVD player got to where it wouldn't play a lot of DVDs, so I replaced it with a Blu-ray player.

Really? There was never a studio based 'send us your old VHS for a free DVD upgrade'.
    And I don't know of anyone who pay's RETAIL price for DVD's (one of the reason's Sam Goody is out of business)

• Still lost in Neverland

Just go to Wal Mart and see that they have already cut shelf space down for blue ray, a very telling sign when the largest retailer in the world is dedicating less and less space for such a 'hot' selling product.
    That's funny as in my search for a switcher I was at two of our local Wal-Marts and both have expanded their Blu Ray sections are are lowering the prices on DVD's. I think Blu Ray is here to say and will only grow now that prices are coming down and 3-D Blu Ray and HD TV's are just around the corner. This will be the year that things will grow, if not explode.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Circle of Ancients

DVD took WAY more than a year to take off. It wasn't 1998. It was probably closer to 2000.

You also have factors such as the economy and other things working against Blu Ray.

Is it ever going to FULLY replace DVD??? I doubt it VERY much. It's not the "Game Changer" that DVD was when it replaced VHS. But that doesn't mean that there isn't room for 2 formats.

Even though I have a Blu Ray player, I don't buy EVERYTHING on Blu Ray. Why? Because a lot of movies we watch in bed and we don't have a Blu Ray in there. Secondly, not a lot of movies NEED to be on Blu Ray. We got Julie and Julia, Mama Mia and The Hangover all on DVD for that reason.

in 2000 you couldn't sit in bed with an iPod or laptop with Netflix to watch a film. The market is a much more crowded place for viewing options, and disc based formats are falling by the way side (CD, DVD ect), Microsoft has not supported blue ray, so while there has been growth for the format, it's really to little to late for the SONY camp.

On the other hand, digital copy is included will almost all new releases and more and more catalog titles.

• Circle of Ancients

Until there is a CLEAR and EASY way to get digital copies from your computer to your TV in HD, the disc will not go away.

The thing with Music is it doesn't take a lot of space and the quality is acceptable for most people. In my experience, once people see what a Blu Ray can do, it's hard to go back.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Until there is a CLEAR and EASY way to get digital copies from your computer to your TV in HD, the disc will not go away.
    Windows Media Extenders should already do this.. as well as Apple TV.

I watch HD all the time from my PC via my xbox. But I have not played with the digital copies yet - mainly because I have no need/desire. I don't watch movies on portable stuff.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    Really? There was never a studio based 'send us your old VHS for a free DVD upgrade'.
    Nor is there such a program for Blu-Ray discs. There is a rebate program for Blu-rays that encourages people who already have the DVD to upgrade: and Disney DID THE EXACT SAME THING with Dvds in '99!!!

Also, other studios, (Universal, MGM, and Warner Bros) had programs where you could buy 4 DVDs and get a fifth one free in the mail.

• Circle of Ancients

Warner Brothers is also doing a deal where if you had bought HD-DVD's of movies you can upgrade them to Blu Ray for $5.

The thing with Music is it doesn't take a lot of space and the quality is acceptable for most people. In my experience, once people see what a Blu Ray can do, it's hard to go back.

Truth be told, most people cannot see a significant difference between DVD and HD content. Heck how many crappy YouTube videos are almost unwatchable due to such low resolution, yet generate millions of views.

My iPod outputs video from the headphone jack, which makes it a very neat thing to carry around movies with, as I can plug it into ANY T.V.

Netflix can stream movies to your PC... instantly, or if you prefer right to your Xbox to enjoy on your 50" TV.

How about HD programing off of your digital cable or satellite system, oh yeah recorded that on you DVR? You can port that to multiple TV's in your house

All these things are enjoying MUCH MUCH greater success in the market than blue ray, at a much lower cost to Disney.

SONY may have saved Toshiba billions of dollars by 'winning' the HD disc battle, unfortunately it's a hollow victory, as nobody really cares about a hi def disc format.

Does blue ray look great? Yes, however great tech spec's is not what sells a format, otherwise SONY would still be selling MiniDisc, DAT, BETA, U-Matic or a myriad of other formats the company has rolled out over the years.

It's make or break time for blue ray, otherwise all the studios will slowly roll back the number of titles released on it (to avoid paying SONY the OUTRAGEOUS license fee's they are required to now) and invest that money into other venues (YouTube, HULU, Apple TV ect)

It's make or break time for blue ray, otherwise all the studios will slowly roll back the number of titles released on it (to avoid paying SONY the OUTRAGEOUS license fee's they are required to now) and invest that money into other venues (YouTube, HULU, Apple TV ect)
    If you honestly think this scenerio is plausible, I really don't have anything to say (nothing that would abide with the TOS for Micechat, anyway)

The day Disney starts putting it's animated features on Hulu will be the day I eat my Mouseketeer Hat.

• Disneyland PAP

I don't agree. And I don't think I can convince you otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    In my experience, once people see what a Blu Ray can do, it's hard to go back.
    I agree completely. After hosting Blu-ray movie nights at my place for the past couple of years, I know I influenced one couple to get a PS3 to go with the HDTV her parents got her a couple of years earlier and another couple to buy an HDTV over the holidays after seeing a great deal on one. The latter couple doesn't have a Blu-ray player yet, but they did upgrade their satellite service to get HD.

• will-o-the-whip

I agree with this, the future is video on demand. People are tired of upgrading players and media formats with collections taking up shelf space in one's home. VoD allows everyone to have everything at anytime. That's the future and why cable TV and media distributors will die unless they get into the content creation business. I've already discontinued my cable TV service and use the net to watch anything I want.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    I agree with this, the future is video on demand. People are tired of upgrading players and media formats with collections taking up shelf space in one's home. VoD allows everyone to have everything at anytime. That's the future and why cable TV and media distributors will die unless they get into the content creation business. I've already discontinued my cable TV service and use the net to watch anything I want.
    I think this is a stronger and more plausable argument than proclaiming Blu-ray is on its last legs. It depends on the eye of the beholder, of course, but the Studios are investing much remastering and marketing old and new titles. So they're not giving up at least through this year. Neither are the HDTV manufacturers with their new 3D HDTVs (which I personally am not a fan of). Which brings up that consumers, 3D or otherwise, need to literally invest (i.e., buy an HDTV and an Blu-ray player) to really enjoy the benefits of Blu-ray Disc, and that's another challenging hurdle for the success of both the growth of HDTV and the Blu-ray Disc market as well.

The day Disney starts putting it's animated features on Hulu will be the day I eat my Mouseketeer Hat.
    Disney already puts it's films on iTunes for download. It does have a lic. agreement with HULU, what they chose to put there is at their discression (though A list Classics for free is unlikley anytime soon)

proclaiming Blu-ray is on its last legs.
    "Last legs" implies they had a strong run. It's more like a horse race when the horse never leaves the gate, or at best hobbles along with a bad hamstring, against faster, stronger competitors.

I know I influenced one couple to get a PS3 to go with the HDTV her parents got her a couple of years earlier and another couple to buy an HDTV over the holidays after seeing a great deal on one.
    I still own my LaserDisc player, and many for my friends bought one after 'widescreen movie nights' at my house, same can be said about 5.1 surround sound, but it never really helped DiscoVision become anything more than a niche product (with a rabid fan base) until DVD killed it.

HDTV manufacturers with their new 3D HDTVs
    Oh great a whole new viewing system, and formats that will have to compete with what is already on the market.

The whole 'HD revolution' has been 20 years in the making, and not because of a mandate from the people, but rather as a way for the Federal Government to re-acquire all the (free) analog spectrum, and slice it into many, many little digital pieces to sell off to the highest bidders (broadcasters, telco's)

The switch to blue ray is similar, it's all about money. Who owns the patents and can get the studios to pay through the nose for each little peice of plastic pressed.

The studios are trying really hard not to fall victim to the same mistakes the recording industry has made over the last 10 years as people have moved away from (superior) CD's to (lower qualty but more convenient) MP3 files, and are not in a position where they can nurse along an (expensive) format that under performs. DVD though flattening out (in part because of natural format maturation, in part because of double and triple dipping re-releases, and it part because they have focused a lot on catalog titles, while cutting back on the amount of new releases to feed into the pipeline) Still makes up for the bulk of their earnings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast