Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone Else Dissapointed With The Lack Of Blu-Rays??

I was looking at the up-coming Disney DVDs announced for 2010:
    "Dumbo" "The Princess and the Frog" "Fantasia" (rumored) "Fantasia 2000" (Rumored) and "Beauty and the Beast" (Rumored).

While I am over-all pleased that these titles are coming (with the possible exception of Dumbo, which I am ambivalent about), I am disappointed with the lack of back catalog titles.

In 1999, when DVD was first hitting it's stride, Disney was literally putting out titles every week. Not the big guns, mind you, but "101 Dalmatians" "Jungle Book", "Mulan" and "Robin Hood" were all there, along with others.

So, why aren't we getting more than one title a quarter?? I'd love to pick up some of my faves on Blu-Ray.

• Infinitized!

Re: Anyone Else Dissapointed With The Lack Of Blu-Rays??

Alice in Wonderland is coming back out of the vault, to promote the Tim Burton movie, as the Un-Anniversary Edition. Guess what? It's going to be only on DVD.

It's hitting store shelves on March 30.

Here's a link to the cover art on Ultimate Disney:
    http://www.ultimatedisney.com/images...ce-saue-lg.jpg

• Pilot EdForceOne

Because they need to remaster them to get them up to HD spec. With BluRay being so technology driven... they won't be able to just pass off their old masters on a BluRay disc. They'll have to work to either scale, or create new masters.

It all takes time and money. Disney will milk this cow for a long long time
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

So, why aren't we getting more than one title a quarter??
    they won't be able to just pass off their old masters on a BluRay disc.
    And perhaps they see that blue ray is not where the market is going, so they are being cautious of how many titles and how much money they spend on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    ...perhaps they see that blue ray is not where the market is going....
    Explain, please

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Because they need to remaster them to get them up to HD spec. With BluRay being so technology driven... they won't be able to just pass off their old masters on a BluRay disc. They'll have to work to either scale, or create new masters.

It all takes time and money. Disney will milk this cow for a long long time
    MGM has managed to completely remaster 10 of the Bond back catalog (and they all look amazing, if you haven't seen them).

I see your point, sort of.... but at this rate (one new movie and 3 catalog titles per year) it'll be 2025 before we have everything!

• Disneyland PAP

Ha! I blew so much money on Blu-ray titles for myself over the holiday season, right now I'm glad it is a short list of Disney titles. It works better for my wallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    Ha! I blew so much money on Blu-ray titles for myself over the holiday season, right now I'm glad it is a short list of Disney titles. It works better for my wallet!

I hear that. Although I did get lucky (Snow White for $10) and Extremely lucky (the New Tinkerbell for $1.99!)

My daughter is almost 5, and is love with Robin Hood, and I just hate to voluntarily get double dipped (buying it now on DVD and again on Blu-Ray). I don't think this is one that will get the blu-ray anytime soon, so I may as well grab it now.

(BTW, I think they see the writing on the wall: I was at Wal-mart and they had a bunch of Disney DVDs for $5. Brother Bear 2 disc, Treasure Planet, Rescuers, and some other catalog titles if anyone needs them.)

• Still lost in Neverland

I was at Best Buy the other day and saw more Blu Ray discs from Disney than any other studio. They are planning on releasing all the classics as soon as they are remastered to meet Blu Ray standards. I am happy with the amount of Blu Ray right now as I am just starting out.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Circle of Ancients

Honestly, I would MUCH rather them not release things on Blu Ray until they are up to spec. A straight DVD transfer isn't going to cut it anymore. And the first DVD releases of movies were direct transfers from the VHS titles, nothing more.

I am however a little dissapointed that all of the Pixar movies aren't on Blu Ray, especially Finding Nemo. Just got done watching it and while it looks great upconverted on the PS3, the Blu Ray would be AMAZING>

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I am however a little dissapointed that all of the Pixar movies aren't on Blu Ray, especially Finding Nemo. Just got done watching it and while it looks great upconverted on the PS3, the Blu Ray would be AMAZING>
    I keep wondering if they'll save Finding Nemo to release with Andrew Stanton's live-action John Carter of Mars flick. For your sake, I hope they don't. Personally, The Incredibles is the Pixar flick I'm most looking forward to seeing on BD, after the Toy Story movies, of course.

...perhaps they see that blue ray is not where the market is going....

Explain, please
    Disney is in the business of making money, boatloads of it. They are also known for being very frugal, to maximize their dollar. They dumped a lot of money into DVD because they were selling a shload of them.

Blue ray sales haven't really taken off, and I'm being nice when I say that. Disney has released a few high profile titles to see how well they do in the market, even to go out of there way to deceive customers into buying the Snow White blue ray, thinking they were buying a two DVD set.

If they were more confident of the blue ray format, the titles would be coming out at a more steady pace.

Don't forget that Disney is in bed with Apple, it's more cost effective and lucrative to flex that arm, with iTunes downloads than to fork over hefty license fees to SONY on every blue ray disc made (but not sold).

• Circle of Ancients

Blue ray sales haven't really taken off, and I'm being nice when I say that.
    It's funny that when people say things like this, they never really have any solid numbers ...

Here are some:

Blu-ray Sales Set New Records Through Holiday Season | Blu-ray Stats News Log

Recently released data also shows that the revenue for the week ending December 20th topped $86M, setting a new record week for Blu-ray Disc.

The Hangover from Warner continues to have very strong sales, taking 1st place ahead of the new District 9 release from Sony Pictures in 2nd.
    The top five was rounded out by Paranormal Activity from Paramount, Up from Disney and 9 from Universal in 5th place.

Other recent releases still selling well include Inglourious Basterds from Universal in 6th position and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince from Warner in 7th place.

Terminator Salvation, Public Enemies and Star Trek rounded out the top 10.
    Looking at the per title Market Share, I am seeing a number of blockbuster titles selling very well on Blu-ray for the week.

Public Enemies sold 46% on Blu-ray Disc, while Star Trek and District 9 sold 45% and Terminator Salvation 44% on Blu-ray Disc.

In the 30% market share range I see 9 and Inglourious Basterds, while strong titles with 20% market share include top seller The Hangover, Paranormal Activity, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Jennifer’s Body and Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian.
    So for movies that Blu-Ray was MADE FOR (action/animation) it is pulling close to a 50% market share (even with the higher prices) and in the 30% range on other movies.

If/When the Blu Ray Discs are the same price as DVD's you will see that shift even higher. It wasn't until DVD players became competitively priced and the movies were a few $$ more than VHS tapes that it really exploded.

And for the record, the kid are watching Alice in Wonderland right now. The first DVD release that was from the VHS transfer. It looks like CRAP. So I'm looking forward to this on BD ... when it eventually comes out.

Nielson VideoScan
    Stats for week ending 4th January 2009

Blu-ray vs DVD: 11.95% vs 88.05%

For all the money to promote and educate the consumer about blue ray over the last two years, and the massive price cut promotions and 'trade your DVD' schemes that they have also tried ("take my blue ray....please") over Christmas DVD is still the clear winner, and this statistic does not include (legal) downloads of other forms of distubution.

DVD took about a year to catch on when launched in 1997, it was replacing a mediocre format, and it NEVER had to resort to the give-a-way promotions that blue ray has had to do this last year. Don't think that Disney does not know this.

They do not want to dilute there very valuable and lucrative catalog titles if they can sit on the semi-sidelines and wait to see if blue ray is worth their long term investment.

Just go to Wal Mart and see that they have already cut shelf space down for blue ray, a very telling sign when the largest retailer in the world is dedicating less and less space for such a 'hot' selling product.

• Pilot EdForceOne

clinks - I think the biggest factor is the disc price is finally coming down. All of the titles quoted in that bluray rag are $20 or less from most places. The DVD is $15.

I've always said the biggest factor is the disc price. I think the studios are finally getting that. Between the neglible upsell price, combo packs, and other promotions they will get to the point that Blu-Ray is not the choice.. its just kind of the default.

When people's DVD players die... they'll buy a bluray player.

I still forsee the second backlash though when people start buying all those Blurays and then can't play them upstairs, in the car, on their portable, etc. The combo packs are the best idea the studios have had yet - it diffuses the risk. Greater commitment to that idea will help them in the long run.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• 60 Dazzling Years!

Nielson VideoScan
    Stats for week ending 4th January 2009

Blu-ray vs DVD: 11.95% vs 88.05%

... DVD took about a year to catch on when launched in 1997, it was replacing a mediocre format, and it NEVER had to resort to the give-a-way promotions that blue ray has had to do this last year. Don't think that Disney does not know this...
    I completely disagree with this statement. I know when DVD was getting popular there was at least once site practically giving them away. One of my old co-workers told me and others about it. At least 25 to 30% of my DVD library I purchased for about half the retail price at the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast