• Minion

$100,000 Haiti aid???

Is $100,000 the best Disney can do for aid to Haiti? There are INDIVIDUALS out there giving $1 million. Disney could be able to at least do that. Iger should be able to do that.

Is this a representation of the company's financial attitude with Rasulo in charge?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: $100,000 Haiti aid???

I thought $100,000 was a very nice gesture. Individuals can do whatever they want, corporations have to get shareholder approval, they don't have blank checks.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Indeed, what aashee said.

It seems most of the corporate donations are coming in around this amount. Every single cent helps someone, somewhere.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I thought $100,000 was a very nice gesture. Individuals can do whatever they want, corporations have to get shareholder approval, they don't have blank checks.
    They probably spend that much on a single production of Extreme Makeover.

As far as I know, Disney has NEVER asked me my opinion (as a shareholder) how much or for what they should donate to charities.

corporations don't have to get permission from shareholders for those kinds of things. They DO have to get permission from their board though. And as nice as a bigger donation would be, they have to consider their shareholders best interest since it is their responsibility to make sure that the company itself is profitable. I don't know the exact figures, but I'm sure the Disney company has been donating more than that $100,000 to Haiti to other places. And especially in this economy I'm not sure how easily they can go around donating money.

"How do I depreciate this rock?"

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    They probably spend that much on a single production of Extreme Makeover.

As far as I know, Disney has NEVER asked me my opinion (as a shareholder) how much or for what they should donate to charities.
    If it is your opinion that Disney should give millions and millions to Haiti because they spend that on shows that make them money, perhaps that's why they don't ask for opinions.

It's sad a wonderful gesture is viewed as laughable because they should spend a lot more.

• Minion

It is good that they actually did put in some help. They should collect all the fountain change and donate it all to Haiti. Since thats what they do anyways.
    MEOW.

• will-o-the-whip

It's not a corporation's job to give to charities since it is beholden to its shareholders to do only one thing: make great profit (and nothing more). The executives can give out of their own pockets if they want, but the corporation is not obliged nor required to give away the shareholders' profits.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

It seems no good deed goes unappreciated.

May 11 - 16, 2015

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by itsxxdomoxxkun View Post
    It is good that they actually did put in some help. They should collect all the fountain change and donate it all to Haiti. Since thats what they do anyways.
    That would mean a lot of other charities would get shorted the donations they are accustomed to from the Disney wishing wells.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Is $100,000 the best Disney can do for aid to Haiti? There are INDIVIDUALS out there giving $1 million. Disney could be able to at least do that. Iger should be able to do that.

Is this a representation of the company's financial attitude with Rasulo in charge?
    Worst. Post. Ever.
    Fight On! Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch