Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Muppets movie is a go

Looks like the Muppets movie has a director:

The Hollywood Reporter | Heat Vision | Comics | Movie News: 'Flight of the Conchords' co-creator will direct Disney's Muppet movie

I read elsewhere that the directors of "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs" were going to direct the movie, then abruptly changed their minds. Gee, wonder why? :P

So, the new head of Disney's movie division hires a guy who created a flop TV show to direct a movie about a bunch of old TV puppets after the directors of a hit movie turn the project down.

And the descent into madness continues...
    Last edited by Magenta Panther; 01-29-2010 at 10:41 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Muppets movie is a go, unfortunately

Unfortunately? This is great news.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    Looks like the Muppets movie has a director:

The Hollywood Reporter | Heat Vision | Comics | Movie News: 'Flight of the Conchords' co-creator will direct Disney's Muppet movie

I read elsewhere that the directors of "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs" were going to direct the movie, then abruptly changed their minds. Gee, wonder why? :P

So, the new head of Disney's movie division hires a guy who created a flop TV show to direct a movie about a bunch of old TV puppets after the directors of a hit movie turn the project down.

And the descent into madness continues...
    Whoa...what are you talking about? A flop TV show? Flight of the Conchords was critically acclaimed, and nominated for no less than 10 Emmy awards during it's 2 season run. Mind you, the show was not cancelled the two main guys decided to end it after two seasons. All it means is that they quit while they were ahead, not because their show flopped.

Plus the people behind the script were also involved with writing Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and Yes Man. Both movies, were well received by critics and at the Box Office.

If you're going to troll, please do your research.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Shablagoo!

Just because something is old, does not mean it is not good. It also does not mean that a good director cannot make a good movie out of it.

I know you are a fan of Astro Boy. Guess what? It is older than the Muppets. Does that mean it should not have been made? Of course not. You may dislike the Muppets, but there is a huge fan base for it. In the United States I would be willing to bet it is bigger than the audience for Astro Boy. The Astro Boy movie cost roughly $65 million to make. It's worldwide box office was roughly $23 million. Obviously, it flopped, and flopped bigtime. Of course, just becasue it flopped does not mean it is bad.

As for the directors of "cloudy with a chance of Meatballs" jumping ship, it might have to do less with the Muppets and more with other things. Perhaps they do not want to work for Disney. Maybe someone offered them more money. From what I am reading online they are going to direct a movie based on 21 Jump Street next. I see Chris Miller is moving onto a Puss in Boots movie first though.
    Last edited by Melonballer; 01-30-2010 at 03:21 AM.

• All-American

Flight of the Conchords is HILARIOUS; I watch it all the times with my friends. If the director has the same comedic style as the show, I'd say he would actually suit the Muppets pretty well.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tui View Post
    Whoa...what are you talking about? A flop TV show? Flight of the Conchords was critically acclaimed, and nominated for no less than 10 Emmy awards during it's 2 season run. Mind you, the show was not cancelled the two main guys decided to end it after two seasons. All it means is that they quit while they were ahead, not because their show flopped.

Plus the people behind the script were also involved with writing Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and Yes Man. Both movies, were well received by critics and at the Box Office.

If you're going to troll, please do your research.
    Oh, I see. Flight of the Conchords wasn't cancelled, its creators decided to end it, hmmm? And I suppose its lousy ratings - lousy even for HBO, is what I've read - had nothing to do with that...

Well, at least they left with their dignity intact.

Hey, if you're jonesin' for a Muppet movie, be my guest. Me, I prefer Disney movies...REAL Disney movies.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    Just because something is old, does not mean it is not good. It also does not mean that a good director cannot make a good movie out of it.

I know you are a fan of Astro Boy. Guess what? It is older than the Muppets. Does that mean it should not have been made? Of course not. You may dislike the Muppets, but there is a huge fan base for it. In the United States I would be willing to bet it is bigger than the audience for Astro Boy. The Astro Boy movie cost roughly $65 million to make. It's worldwide box office was roughly $23 million. Obviously, it flopped, and flopped bigtime. Of course, just becasue it flopped does not mean it is bad.

As for the directors of "cloudy with a chance of Meatballs" jumping ship, it might have to do less with the Muppets and more with other things. Perhaps they do not want to work for Disney. Maybe someone offered them more money. From what I am reading online they are going to direct a movie based on 21 Jump Street next. I see Chris Miller is moving onto a Puss in Boots movie first though.
    Perhaps they didn't want to work for the Muppets...? Sounds to me like they had much better things to do.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Oh, I see. Flight of the Conchords wasn't cancelled, its creators decided to end it, hmmm? And I suppose its lousy ratings - lousy even for HBO, is what I've read - had nothing to do with that...

Well, at least they left with their dignity intact.

Hey, if you're jonesin' for a Muppet movie, be my guest. Me, I prefer Disney movies...REAL Disney movies.
    Please link me to the article that you read that stated Flight of the Conchords was receiving poor ratings. Thanks.
    What an idiot....

• Banned User

Please link me to the article that you read that stated Flight of the Conchords was receiving poor ratings. Thanks.

The exact quote here:

It wasn’t a strong performer at all. Always got well under one million viewers for premiere airings, very poor retention out of Entourage (then HBO’s biggest hit) in its first season. HBO will renew just about any show once, but I do kind of question whether they were definitely paying for a third season if B&J wanted one. I think it’s ending because neither party is willing to fight for more.

Probably did okay once overseas and DVD is factored in, there were definitely some very funny entertaining moments, but HBO needs to do better. And has, with True Blood.

Here's the website link. Once there, you'll have to scroll down to find the actual comment:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/12/10...on-three/35942

• Seasick

I was pleased to hear this news. Don't really know or care about the director in question, I'm more optimistic based on the writers involved.

Bring on the Muppets!
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I'm actually excited by this, only because I'm a HUGE Muppet fan and I love Jason Segal. Jason Segal, "How I Met Your Mother", "Freaks and Geeks," etc, has a huge love for the Muppets. There's an interview he did for KTLA a couple years ago that had me in stitches, like crying with laughter, about how he loves the Muppets and before he got asked to write the movie he was just this creepy guy with puppets (and a whole babble about post sex he'd wake up his lady friend with a puppet telling her she did good.); and then now he's the writer of the movie. And the Dracula thing in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" that was Segal (listen to the commentary. HILARIOUS!).

And I found this on aintitcoolnews.com:
    The Great Gonzo Tells Us About The Script For The New MUPPET Movie - aka THE GREATEST MUPPET MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!! -- Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.
    Review of the script. Spoilers, but awesomeness.

• Infinitized!

I wonder if it will have a bunch of celebrity cameos like the first movie had.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

The exact quote here:

It wasn’t a strong performer at all. Always got well under one million viewers for premiere airings, very poor retention out of Entourage (then HBO’s biggest hit) in its first season. HBO will renew just about any show once, but I do kind of question whether they were definitely paying for a third season if B&J wanted one. I think it’s ending because neither party is willing to fight for more.

Probably did okay once overseas and DVD is factored in, there were definitely some very funny entertaining moments, but HBO needs to do better. And has, with True Blood.

Here's the website link. Once there, you'll have to scroll down to find the actual comment:

Flight of the Conchords kinda canceled; No Season Three - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com
    Seriously? Are you actually being serious right now?

Can you please link me to an article? Your quote comes from a user comment, that anyone could post. I want actual numbers from a reliable source not a guy named "Pisher" with a cartoon avatar.
    What an idiot....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    I wonder if it will have a bunch of celebrity cameos like the first movie had.
    Based on what the review of the script says there maybe cameos from Vince Vaughn, Jon Farvereua (sp? The dude from "Swingers"), Bob Saget and those people that roast other celebrities, Christian Bale, and since someone's in celebrity rehab (hm... Guess who may have an anger management problem?) some cameos in there. And then figure the writer is from the Apatow group, we maybe graced with some of those people.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

The industry seems to be under the impression that geography was the problematic issue rather than ratings:

Weaving story line and original songs, combined with the fact that the trio continues to reside in their native New Zealand, makes "Conchords" difficult to produce, prompting speculation over the past few months that McKenzie, Clement and Bobin would not return for a third season.
    'Flight of the Conchords' ending run
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast