• All-American

Miramax Studio closed and up for sale

TheDisneyBlog is reporting that Disney is closing Miramax studios and selling its assets. Miramax is the more mature and artistic live-action studio of the Walt Disney Company, and the producer of such classics and Oscar-winning movies as Chicago, The Aviator, Finding Neverland, The Queen, No Country for Old Men, and There Will Be Blood. This marks the end of an era for the Disney studios, and of a dream for the Weinstein brothers.

From the first of the two articles:

When Eisner added the Weinstein brotherís Miramax studio to its quiver there were a lot of people wondering if that arrow would shoot straight. But it was fashionable in Hollywood at the time to have a boutique label that could go and win a couple Oscarís every year and if it lost a tens of millions of dollars a year, well that was the price for fame.

Well, thereís a new sheriff in town, CEO Bob Iger, and heís not interested in glamour for the studio, just franchises that are productive. So, Miramax found itself whittled down until just a skeleton crew was left to go through the motions. Now, the door will be locked on the Disney chapter for Miramax and the final 80 employees out on the street. A sad ending for what was once a bright jewel of a studio, even if no one could ever tell you if it was diamond or paste.
    It's a shame, because Miramax was so largely responsible for giving Disney a major presence at the Oscars, and helped to give the company a lot of credibility with the critics. Seems as if a studio is more artistic than box-office-smashing, or its films can't be continually marketed as franchises, then Disney ain't interested.

What are your thoughts on this?

• Banned User

Re: Miramax Studio closed and up for sale

I never did understand the logic of Disney buying miramax in the first place.

Disney already has a production division suited to producing films that are, quite frankly, not appropriate for all audiences--touchstone pictures.

Granted that Miramax does/did produce very good films, I just think that miramax sticks out like a sore thumb.

something that bothered me about miramax, is that and I am not going to go into lengthy detail, it was one of many of the deals made by eisner seemingly in secret and almost overnight (sniff sniff sniffety sniff do I smell suspicious actions???) raises a red flag that he was engaging in antitrust? what he did not realize is that he was chosen to be the head of the company, NOT to take over the company as its sole owner.

it was my understanding that when new world pictures folded, miramax purchased the rights to New Worlds work and the only way to do so would be to create a subdivision---dimension pictures and the deal breaker was to find a company that was interested in purchasing miramax.

Miramax was so largely responsible for giving Disney a major presence at the Oscars
    Disney has PIXAR now. So they have the best of both worlds, Oscar cred and shloads of box office

• Rock Star Minion

Well, the Weinsteins were already gone from Miramax a long time ago.

It was nice to have someone underwrite those great films. But Disney seems to have decided that adult-audience-only films should not be linked to Disney in any way.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Disney seems to have decided that adult-audience-only films should not be linked to Disney in any way.
    Disney has decided that it want's films to make money, sadly most of Miramax's titles are small niche titles.
    Bride & Prejudice is one of my family's favorite films, released in the states though Miramax. Sadly it made no money states side. (but if your itching to see Jane Austin in Bollywood form this is the film for you! And it's a Musical!!!)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8r7qq-IxzU]YouTube - Bride and Prejudice trailer[/ame]