• former CM

Iger & Marvel & Miramax

Contrast how much Iger paid for Marvel (4 billion)
    and how little he reportedly seeking as he tries to get rid of Miramax and it's library of some of the best films made in the last 25 years. (700 million)

And I hope the new Disney land (that Al wrote might be added to increase Disneyland's capacity) isn't Marvel-ous. Let Six Flags be Teenage Wasteland and reduce Disneyland's swearing, line cutting, and seemingly unmotivated badassedness. (It seems to me that over 95% of teens who now visit Disneyland are cool though.)

P.S. Marvel related video games might be the best way for Disney to make money from Marvel.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-13-2010 at 08:45 AM.

• former CM

How do you think Disney could have better spent the 4 billion?

P.S. I'm adapting the following post from one I wrote for a new thread about spending that got moved to another thread. Please forgive me if you've already read it.

I think Bob Iger erred in spending four billion dollars to buy Hulk, Thor, X-men and all the other Marvel characters who don't really fit will with Disney.

How do you think Disney could have better spent that four billion?

Here's my list:
    1 billion: buy properties in Anaheim adjacent to the Disneyland resort starting with Garden Walk.

900 million to be matched by the Chinese to enlarge Hong Kong Disneyland even more dramatically.

100 million (to join local gov. spending) to get a train and subway station closer to Disneyland. There should be a train direct from L.A.'s Union Station to Disneyland's entrance.

200 million for a new World Showcase pavilion at EPCOT. (I'd vote for a Russia pavilion with the architecture of St. Basil's surrounded by the architecture of St. Petersburg.)

1.2 billion for property and the early expenses of a new, very different Magic Kingdom park within 110 miles of New York City. In this park with a Main Street entrance, an "If you Had Wings" type of attraction could be made into a World of Disney ride, partly devoted to getting people to visit Walt Disney World.

600 million to make Soarin' over America for Walt Disney World, Soarin over China for Hong Kong, Soarin over Europe for Disneyland Paris, and Soarin over Japan for Tokyo Disneyland.

Of course, spending 4 bil. here doesn't mean you can't raise money to buy the things above or the rights to Cartman, or Beavis, or The Partridge Family Movie.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-17-2010 at 06:37 AM.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Iger & Marvel & Miramax

You can't compare Marvel and Miramax. Marvel's worth isn't so much in its past achievements as in the rights to make more films, books, merchandise in the future. Miramax has a film catalog. Some good films, but none likely to generate much money in the future. Divestitures and acquisitions are like apples and oranges.

Now, I'm not a Marvel fan, I wasn't in favor of Disney buying Marvel and I'm still not, but that's the modern Disney way. They would rather buy a company/competitor than invest in developing their own. In other words, don't out-do or out-perform your competition, just buy 'em out and absorb them.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    In other words, don't out-do or out-perform your competition, just buy 'em out and absorb them.
    Exactly. Reach out, grasp, absorb, digest. Repeat as voracious appetite demands.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    You can't compare Marvel and Miramax. Marvel's worth isn't so much in its past achievements as in the rights to make more films, books, merchandise in the future. Miramax has a film catalog. Some good films, but none likely to generate much money in the future. Divestitures and acquisitions are like apples and oranges. Both Miramax and Marvel were acquired by Disney, but it is Marvel that should now be divested if the price is right, even if that means taking a hit on this sunk cost.

Now, I'm not a Marvel fan, I wasn't in favor of Disney buying Marvel and I'm still not, but that's the modern Disney way. They would rather buy a company/competitor than invest in developing their own. In other words, don't out-do or out-perform your competition, just buy 'em out and absorb them.
    Good points!
    Though apples and oranges can be compared: they are both round fruits that grow on similarly-sized trees, and they are usually slightly larger than tennis balls. Divestitures and acquisitions are like apples and oranges. Both Miramax and Marvel were acquired by Disney, but it is Marvel that should now be divested if the price is right, even if that means taking a hit on this sunk cost.

I disagree with: "Some good films, but none likely to generate much money in the future." "Some good films" is an understatement; Miramax produced many classics that have earned an astonishing number of Oscars. Disney needs content and in Miramax they have the best, and many customers feel good about having access to the best, even if they don't watch it. Like (as Jackie Mason pointed out) people in New York City who love that they can go to the ballet, but never do.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-14-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Personally I'm not completely sure about Disney buying Marvel, but it does seem to me to be a better fit with Disney than many make out.

Disney has a very strong band of the Disney Princesses but particularly in recent years it has only been the pirates of the carribbean brand which has really appealed to the young boys. In this sense Disney now has a franchise which does appeal to the boys.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by it398 View Post
    Personally I'm not completely sure about Disney buying Marvel, but it does seem to me to be a better fit with Disney than many make out.

Disney has a very strong band of the Disney Princesses but particularly in recent years it has only been the pirates of the carribbean brand which has really appealed to the young boys. In this sense Disney now has a franchise which does appeal to the boys.
    I guess it might be cool if Disney created an animated movie of a Marvel character. Pixar's Incredibles showed how creative and fun an animated superhero movie could be. And Disney's Tarzan showed how an old hero could be rebooted via excellent animation.

And ABC could have Saturday morning Marvel shows and at least one prime time dramatic show. I used to like the old Hulk series with Bill Bixby, Lou F., and that sad piano music. Roland Kickinger could be a great Hulk! And a Marvel version of DC's Justice League or new Fantastic Four cartoons could be engaging.

But keep the Miramax movies!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Miramax_Films
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-15-2010 at 09:23 AM.

i do agree that Disney perchuse of Marvel could of been spent in a better way but they are now appealing to the other people who dont normaly deal with disney...
    I went to Disney World in 08 and believed that Magic Kingdom was verry cramp and i believe they could of used the money for all of that...
    But Disney is a company that is expanding and needs to apeal to the younger/more violent supper hero type of movies...
    Thats just my opinion i mean i do think that some of the other things they did was not the best things... I believe thier investment in the newer animation looking like real life i LOVE the older animation of snow white and stuff but others dont so...

• former CM

This article in the April 9, 2010, New York Times made Iger look great:
    Is Disney?s Iger Having a Cinderella Moment? - NYTimes.com