• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Superheroes cause super headache for Disney and Universal

The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that a superhero sized legal battle is brewing between Florida’s top 2 theme park giants. In one corner, The Walt Disney Co and it’s recently completed $4 billion dollar purchase of Marvel. In the other corner, NBC Universal, the only theme park on the east coast licensed to use the Marvel characters thanks to a 15 year licensing contract (which Disney now owns). But that’s not all.

In the contract, it states that that Marvel Entertainment (now Disney) will have certain rights over the use of their characters at Universal, such as the ability to audit Universal Orlando’s books to make sure it’s getting the correct amount of Royalties, the power to review Universal’s upcoming promotional materials which may feature Marvel Characters, and other proprietary information regarding Universal.

But the problem goes both ways. With access to such information, lawyers are saying that since WDW and Universal control 90% of the theme park revenue in Central Florida, it could open up both companies to charges of price-fixing or other antitrust charges.

“What an antitrust regulator would be concerned about very clearly is the notion that Disney and Universal would be able to coordinate their activities in the theme-park business,” said Randal Picker, a commercial-law professor at the University of Chicago. “You’d really want to be careful with this.”

In an attempt to avoid any kind of antitrust complaint, Disney and Universal have recently signed an agreement in which Disney promises not to divulge any confidential information regarding Universal Orlando to its theme park division. Universal disclosed the agreement to the public in a recent filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

For more on this story, please go to: Marvel superheroes could pose antitrust risk for Disney, Universal | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Re: Superheroes cause super headache for Disney and Universal

And so it begins...:insert dramatic music:...

• Favorite movie ever

Blog Entries

Disney is really stuck between a rock and a hard place on this Marvel aquisition. Universal has a contract with Marvel, and Disney has somewhat interferred, and for me, I think Disney really shouldn't have purchased this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra5drgntKOI

I'M LOOKING THROUGH YOU...WHERE DID YOU GO?

• Goofy

i knew this was going to happen. i just hope disney sells marvel off and its better that way. in my opinion marvel and disney don't match at all.

• Banned User

Oh, are the Disney suits having a spot of trouble over one of their ridiculous acquisitions?

Good.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    i knew this was going to happen. i just hope disney sells marvel off and its better that way. in my opinion marvel and disney don't match at all.
    I completely agree with you. And Disney should sell off the Muppets as well.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that a superhero sized legal battle is brewing between Florida’s top 2 theme park giants. In one corner, The Walt Disney Co and it’s recently completed $4 billion dollar purchase of Marvel. In the other corner, NBC Universal, the only theme park on the east coast licensed to use the Marvel characters thanks to a 15 year licensing contract (which Disney now owns).
    Couldn't happen to a nicer couple of greedmongers. May their lawyers bleed them both dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    i just hope disney sells marvel off and its better that way. in my opinion marvel and disney don't match at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    I think Disney really shouldn't have purchased this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    Oh, are the Disney suits having a spot of trouble over one of their ridiculous acquisitions?

Good.
    Bingo.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Quote: "Disney and Universal have recently signed an agreement in which Disney promises not to divulge any confidential information regarding Universal Orlando to its theme park division."

Umm, yeah, I'm sure that's exactly how it will go. Universal will offer their actual attendance figures and other sensitive information to Disney (without altering them) and Disney financial won't leak any of this information over to their Theme Park division.

Someone already pointed out the true winners here: the lawyers.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The theme park thorns are really just grains of dust in the bigger picture Disney bought Marvel for. We tend to focus on the theme parks here, but the business is so much more then that. I'm sure Disney is happy to playcate some short term problems over theme parks in FL for the long term gains they stand to gain from every other aspect of the business. From publishing, to movies, to licensing, to merchandising, etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• insufferable know-it-all

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...