• Banned User

Ben Kingsley Talks Prince of Persia

He is probably one of the best actors out there, and pretty stoked to see him in all his evil glory in Prince of Persia. IGN posted a brief interview, which was kind of interesting. He did his own stunts!

February 1, 2010 - IGN Movies enjoyed an exclusive one-on-one interview last week with Oscar winner Sir Ben Kingsley, during which time we got him to chat briefly about his role in Disney's upcoming game-to-film adaptation, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

In the action-adventure epic, set in the mystical lands of Persia, rogue prince Dastan (Jake Gyllenhaal) reluctantly joins forces with mysterious princess Tamina (Gemma Arterton) and together, they race against dark forces to safeguard an ancient dagger capable of releasing the Sands of Time—a gift from the gods that can reverse time and allow its possessor to rule the world. Previous reports revealed that Kingsley plays the wicked Nizam, who plots to kill his brother King Shahrman, blame it on Dastan and then nab the throne for himself.

IGN: You've done big films in the past, as well as a videogame adaptation, but perhaps never anything of this scale. Was that part of the appeal for you in taking on the project?

Sir Ben Kingsley: I really liked the character. Because of my years in Shakespeare, I really enjoy mining into the character, digging into the character to find out why he is what he is. How he became. So in my portrayal of the uncle, Nizam, I was able -- very happily and enjoyably with Mike Newell -- to go into the script and speculate, "I see why he is this way. I see why his behavior is that way. I see how he's motivated and what drives him." So Mike Newell, being the lovely director he is, turned a plot-driven piece into a character-driven piece. It was very, very appealing to me and then it becomes, honestly, like any other film that one is enjoying making. You didn't feel the crushing weight of franchise, of Jerry Bruckheimer who really let us go, let us get on with it. We just got on with the job of telling a straight story with Mike Newell. It became a character-drive piece, which was tremendously enjoyable for me.

IGN: Did you get to do any action sequences?

Kingsley: Oh, I do a lot of my own stunts. I do a lot of my own fights. I had a wonderful climbing sequence and I did a lot of that myself. Not too much of my horse-riding -- I'm nervous of horses -- but a lot of the other stuff I did, yeah. I had a great fight trainer. Great stunt guys to work with so that was very exciting.

• far, far away from DL

Re: Ben Kingsley Talks Prince of Persia

I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie.

• Banned User

Re: Ben Kingsley Talks Prince of Persia

Yeah, looks pretty awesome. IGN also posted another video, about how they created the film...which, I guess, is pretty epic:

IGN Video: Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Movie Behind the Scenes (Promo) - "Creating an Epic" Featurette