Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• LoisAlene

Stephen King and MORE Dark Tower!

http://www.publishersweekly.com/arti...splay=breaking

In a move that can only continue to elevate the literary and commercial cachet of the graphic novel format, sources say that bestselling novelist Stephen King has agreed to write a new installment of his Dark Tower series as a graphic novel to be published in 2006.

A spokesperson for Marvel Comics, which will announce the deal on Friday, confirmed that they will publish a King work, although they didn't disclose details. Marvel was dropping hints about a possible King book at this year's Comic-con in July. Sources say that the new Dark Tower installment will be published first as a comic book periodical beginning in April and later released as a Marvel hardcover in the fall of 2006.
    WoW! I can't wait to see this. I know that King likes to experiment with different forms of publishing - but I Never expected a graphic novel (comic books!)
    What's more I never expected to hear anything else from the Baronies again. I do hope that this is Not a continuation of the last book, I hope it's some of the stories that he hinted at in many of the Tower books. So many tantalizing threads, so many short stories left to the imagination. Something like "The Little Sisters of Eluria" would be just fine.
    I haven't bought graphic novels since the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• Reaver of Souls

Re: Stephen King and MORE Dark Tower!

I'm of mixed feelings here. As much as I'd love a new visit to Roland's world, I'm not sure I want someone interpreting the visuals for me. It's similar to listening to the books on tape, because the voices are nothing like what I hear in my own head... I'll give it a chance, though. Just don't let it be about that darned pink member of Merlin's Rainbow. I'm scarred enough by that think already...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Circle of Ancients

I think King is awesome when it comes to short stories. Skeleton Crew remains one of my favorite books ever.

I also hear that Stephen and George Romero are working on a new Creepshow. That would be cool.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    I'm of mixed feelings here. As much as I'd love a new visit to Roland's world, I'm not sure I want someone interpreting the visuals for me. It's similar to listening to the books on tape, because the voices are nothing like what I hear in my own head... I'll give it a chance, though. Just don't let it be about that darned pink member of Merlin's Rainbow. I'm scarred enough by that think already...
    I am with you on this Reaver. Even though the ending of the Dark Tower series was not what I was expecting, I have come to terms with it being the end of the saga. I like my mind's eye version of the Dark Tower series, which is only tainted a little by the pictures in each of the books.

On another Stephen King note, has anyone picked up "The Colorado Kid"? I am about a third of the way through. It is fairly ok, definitely a departure from his usual writing style. I don't even think I have come across a single indented italicized statement yet.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• And, THEN she said...

I agree with you guys I would LOVE some more backstory, like what happend to roland's horn and why did he lose it in the first place but a comic..I dunno I have my picture of roland and all the rest In my head and i kind of like my version..and it took a while for me to come to terms with the end of the DT stories..I started the ride with the first gunslinger book way back when it was first released and have loved every book but not so much the last 3 they seemed rushed to me like he wanted to get it over with.. my fave DT books are the gunslinger and wizard and glass!

I fell in love with king when I picked up The Shining and read it and have read EVERYTHING the man has written..now i MUST make a trip to the bookstore and pick up the Colorado Kid! thanks mamabot for letting me know he hasent walked into the sunset of his retirement just yet!

• Reaver of Souls

Here's part of an e-mail I got from the SK website -

Spring 2006---Stephen King and Marvel Comics join forces to launch a ground-breaking new comic book series adapted from King’s magnum opus, The Dark Tower. King’s unparalleled storytelling power will provide old and new stories that delve into the life and times of the young Roland.

“As a lifelong fan of Marvel comic books, and as an adult reader who’s seen comics “come of age” and take their rightful place in the world of fantasy and science fiction,” says Stephen King. “I’m excited to be a part of Roland’s new incarnation.”

The series will be illustrated by Eisner-award winning artist Jae Lee.

“My life changed overnight when I learned I'd be working with Stephen King!” exclaims Jae Lee. “I know how special The Dark Tower series is to him. I'm incredibly honored that he would allow me to be a guest in his world.”

Keep checking Marvel.com for more information on one of the biggest projects in 2006. And be on the lookout for free bookmarks featuring the exceptional art of Jae Lee, at comic book shops and bookstores nationwide this holiday season.
    "...old and new stories that delve into the life and times of the young Roland"

Vague wording there... "life and times of young Roland" seems to be prequel-type stuff. Back in Gilead, perhaps. Maybe more stories of Cort, or the eventual fall of Gilead?

"...old and new stories..."

More vague wording... Some re-telling, through comic-form, of stories told in the books of Roland's youth? Will we be seeing more of Cuthbert and Alain? Possibly more on Sheemie, which Roland said he saw again before the fall of Gilead?

Could be a lot of good stories here, and I'm encouraged at the fact that they are set in the past, and that it's Jae Lee, he's phenominal... But one question remains - which timeline will this be?!?

• Original Mice-Chatter

oh, more about the book series that is sitting on my nightstand going unread and probably late to the library?

• Earth Intruder

Anything King puts out, I'll read -- there are already interpretations of Roland & Co. in pictures in all his books, sillies!!

I'm not that "into" Roland's life in Gilead (Wizard and Glass was by FAR my least favorite of the DT series), but I did enjoy Little Sisters of Eluria.

Also I am halfway thru Colorado Kid -- a nice yarn for sure so far. And a VERY quick read. I'll post my thoughts when I get to the end. It isn't boring by any means (frankly, I hear it being compared to "Buick 8", which I thought rather sucked), but I want to see if there's a "twist" at the end.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Reaver of Souls

Here's some of Lee's art, for those not familiar...

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    Anything King puts out, I'll read --
    Me, too. Even though the ending of the series left me extremely dissatisfied, I am a loyal fan, and I'll definitely be reading it.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl
    Me, too. Even though the ending of the series left me extremely dissatisfied, I am a loyal fan, and I'll definitely be reading it.
    I liked the ending actually. Sort of reminded me of Walt Disney's missive about Disneyland.

However, I DID think that certain confrontations in DT7 were a bit too... I dunno, short, considering the characters involved.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Reaver of Souls

More info and actual artwork! Go here!

• And, THEN she said...

Is it me or does the new redone Roland look a bit like stephen King? when I see Roland in my head I will always see him the way Michael Whelan Saw him..with a few changes put in by my own minds eye..

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by groomer_4_u
    Is it me or does the new redone Roland look a bit like stephen King? when I see Roland in my head I will always see him the way Michael Whelan Saw him..with a few changes put in by my own minds eye..
    I agree. I never saw him that way at all, until book 6 & 7, when King described the visual similarities. I always thought of him as more of an Eastwood type. Thin-faced, almost lanky build. Not broad shouldered or as wide of chin as the new concept of him is... Ah, well. It'll be an interesting yarn, I've no doubt.

• Where's my dang wand?

I adored the Dark Tower series, but I'm not sure I want the visuals either. The ending of Book Seven was just so "Aaaaah, my God..." that I don't know where they'd go from there? Unless dear Stephen has thought of a way for Roland to break the cycle.

There are certainly enough stories within the story to delve, so they could elaborate on those. I have devoured everything the man has ever written, so I'm sure I will be one of the first in line for these!
    If Jimmy cracked corn and no one cared, why did they write a song about it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast