• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Give a Day, Get a Disney Day Promotion to End "Very Soon"

The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that Disney's "Give a Day, Get a Disney Day" promotion will soon be ending.

Originally Disney stated that it would giving 1 million free park passes to people who signed up and completed 1 day of volunteering, thinking that that number would be enough for a years worth of volunteers. Much to Disney's and The Hands On Networks surprise though, 6 weeks into the promotion it was announced that over half of the 1 million tickets had already been given away.

While Disney has declined to state if it will continue the promotion, The Hands On Network, which partnered with Disney for this promotion, sent an email out to its coordinators saying that the program will be ending "Very Soon".

Disney spokesman, Rick Sylvain said today “We are close to our goal of inspiring 1 million people to make a difference by volunteering” . “This spirit of volunteer is making a significant impact in communities across the country. When we reach our goal, we will be happy to share more details.”

For the complete article, please go to Is Disney volunteer program drawing to close? | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com

•   
    • Minion

Re: Give a Day, Get a Disney Day Promotion to End "Very Soon"

The question is how well is it going to play the next couple of months, and do they have a followup second act waiting in the wings?
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that Disney's "Give a Day, Get a Disney Day" promotion will soon be ending.

Originally Disney stated that it would giving 1 million free park passes to people who signed up and completed 1 day of volunteering, thinking that that number would be enough for a years worth of volunteers. Much to Disney's and The Hands On Networks surprise though, 6 weeks into the promotion it was announced that over half of the 1 million tickets had already been given away.

While Disney has declined to state if it will continue the promotion, The Hands On Network, which partnered with Disney for this promotion, sent an email out to its coordinators saying that the program will be ending "Very Soon".

Disney spokesman, Rick Sylvain said today “We are close to our goal of inspiring 1 million people to make a difference by volunteering” . “This spirit of volunteer is making a significant impact in communities across the country. When we reach our goal, we will be happy to share more details.”

For the complete article, please go to Is Disney volunteer program drawing to close? | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com
    It's nice that the gimmick inspired people, but I'm glad it's ending. It'll put an end to those lame commercials, especially the one that combined the beautiful song "Bella Notte" from Lady and the Tramp with - ugh - Miss Piggy. I nearly hurled. "Sacrilege" doesn't even begin to describe it...

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

really they should go for two million if its going that well.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    really they should go for two million if its going that well.
    Well, of course the real reason for the promotion was MONEY. Disney figured that the promotion would make them look good and bring more people to the parks. Whether the latter will really happen remains to be seen, of course, while as to the former...I dunno...the whole thing came off as kind of obviously manipulative, but if it did inspire people to volunteer, then of course that's a good thing. But I bet Disney would rather not give 2 million free days away; again, the bottom line of the promotion was money.

So much for inspiring people.

• YAY! SUMMER IS OVER!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MEOW.

I'm the director of a non-profit org who signed up for this program with Disney. Since we're in Pacific Beach, we decided to do beach cleanups. For the first event, Disney hooked us up with 903 registered volunteers (633 showed up even though it rained hard on Feb. 27). We have 3 more events scheduled - March 13, April 10 and May 1 and almost 1200 signed up for them.

What Disney did was a great thing. It really helped clean our beach and will help to keep it clean for months to come. : )

In case anyone is curious about this event, they can get info here. If anyone wants to ask me questions about the process or the experience, please go right ahead. Thanks.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    Well, of course the real reason for the promotion was MONEY. Disney figured that the promotion would make them look good and bring more people to the parks.

There are a great many businesses and companies who make the choice of using their marketing funds to help non-profits and charities. That is a legitimate choice.

Trouble is this, the moment you take money out of this type of program to run something else - without maintaining some commitment to supporting volunteerism - that is when Disney should get hammered for abandoning the good they have done with this.

Disney should continue to run a program like this... One that is a charitable pursuit. Did I think they went a little bit overboard making a Marketing gimmick? Yes, I do...

However they could do a LOT of good if they choose 250,000 to continue in hand picked charities for volunteers who want to make a little bit larger commitment. That kind of follow up, is worth and ongoing commitment...
    Check out my other blog:

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

There's no "soon" about it. If you aren't already registered for an opportunity, it's done.
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

Would you care to define "abandoning the good"? With all due respect, they sound like weasel words to me.

What Disney did was amazingly generous. Yes, it was partially a business move to generate more visitors who will likely spend decent amounts of money at the park. It was also designed to increase favorable public opinion toward them for decades to come. However, it also caused 1 million people to volunteer.

New registrations stopped today around 4pm PST. However, people will still be volunteering through my organization (and many others) until May 1.

Angry Re: Give a Day, Get a Disney Day Promotion to End "Very Soon"

At least for me, this was complete BS. I signed up for the site in December, and I had actually been waiting on a few charities to get back to me, having already offered some time slots I was available. Never did I receive an email from Disney to my required address stating that they were close to their volunteer limit.

I can't help but think that Disney really botched this one. A lot of us were waiting to hear back from the organizations that we were working for or might have already been committed to doing it and waiting for the final green light. Here it is, being March and the whole spiel is over. And heres why I think Disney really messed up.

If you look at line queue psychology, if people aren't expecting a certain wait time, they are fine. They don't tend to get mad. If you give them a time and botch it, then they get pissed. It is the same thing here. Only it was money not time. People who planned to volunteer with their families for a vacation or who were waiting for a charity to get back to them now feel cheated. I think that Disney may have gained some positive recognition, but lost the support of some really core members with this mess up. Cause now those people who wanted that fast pass or whatever, feel really screwed over.

(And by the way I am not saying that it has to be free admission if they choose to continue it). If they continued with even just the fast pass idea or a pin, its SOMETHING, and they could still afford to profit off of it. If I get a fast pass for volunteering, like what I was going for... they still make the money of feeding me and getting me into the park that day.

Quote Originally Posted by heilh0und View Post
    At least for me, this was complete BS. I signed up for the site in December, and I had actually been waiting on a few charities to get back to me, having already offered some time slots I was available. Never did I receive an email from Disney to my required address stating that they were close to their volunteer limit.

I can't help but think that Disney really botched this one. A lot of us were waiting to hear back from the organizations that we were working for or might have already been committed to doing it and waiting for the final green light. Here it is, being March and the whole spiel is over. And heres why I think Disney really messed up.

If you look at line queue psychology, if people aren't expecting a certain wait time, they are fine. They don't tend to get mad. If you give them a time and botch it, then they get pissed. It is the same thing here. Only it was money not time. People who planned to volunteer with their families for a vacation or who were waiting for a charity to get back to them now feel cheated. I think that Disney may have gained some positive recognition, but lost the support of some really core members with this mess up. Cause now those people who wanted that fast pass or whatever, feel really screwed over.
    I agree! Almost the exact same thing happened to me. I tried to sign up twice and never got a response. About a week after I tried the second time I went to do a follow up and they were saying that it was closed. What BS. I tried to email them, not to fix it, but to express my frustration with how it turned out because it really put a damper on how I was planning my vacation. What I got in return was a generic response telling me how the "give a day, get a day" program was supposed to work. Chances are, nobody ever even read it. I don't understand why they didn't do something to prolong it since it made it about 2 months into the year and really they're making more money off of it than they are losing since people from out of the state will be using their free day as well as buying more days and spending money in the park, whereas they may have not even come otherwise.
    Also, it is incredibly unfair to those organizations that were hoping to get volunteers from this program. Ah, well. Another Disney marketing scheme that ended making me feel dejected. Such is life.