• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

DEPECHE MODE - Playing the Angel

Hi all,

So it took a bit of time, but I finally have thoughts on the New Dewpeche Mode album - Playing the Angel.

Kind of a mix between Exciter and Ultra. I loved the former but did not like the latter. PTA is a melancholy (who's surprised) electronica ode to pain. This album, like Songs of faith and devotion, plays with DM's disdain for religious piety and the trappings of self righteousness with song titles like "The sinner in me" and "John the Revelator". The music also plays alot with dower lyrics contrasted by edgy, electronic beats and aggressive melody in song like "Precious", "A Pain that I'm used to", and "Suffer Well".

In short: Playing the Angel is a good album. It's not Violator, but really, what is. The music is more accessable this time out, but still just as remote.

Who else has heard it?
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Man O Lantern

Re: DEPECHE MODE - Playing the Angel

I got a bootleg for my birthday last month.....and I loooove it! I heard Precious on the radio the other day, and I thought, "Yeah, other people could really get into this album, it's not just for the fans!"

It's interesting you like Exciter, not many do!! I do! But I love Ultra.

I also have a remix album of all Personal Jesus.....over and over again. Oy. My daughter finally caught on that it's all the same song. Oops. But I love it.

My best guy friend is a hardcore Martin lover and I'm a feverish Dave freak, and he belongs to all these DM groups and gets all these cool remix CDs for us. We're going to see them in Seattle in three weeks or so...oooh.....possibly less!

Two summers ago, when Dave did his solo thing in smaller clubs, I was able to see him...up close and personal, so close that he actually sweat on me. I was like 2 feet from his toes. He closed his show with 5 or 6 DM songs and I started crying. Bawling. It was so unexpected and perfect and wonderful and incredible. Just one of those shows that's so right and good.

I them. The new album is worthy of them, better than the last few for sure.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I'll disagree. Not a song on this CD is really that listenable. Certainly doesn't compare to their classic efforts at all. That feeling of the great electronic melodies are simply replaced with noise. Sure, it has energy, but it doesn't feel like the same band.

They need to do whatever they have to in order to get Alan back or something, because these wishy-washy albums don't do it.

• Reaver of Souls

I like the album. I've liked all their albums, though, so what does that tell you. It's not my favorite, but nowhere near my least. Exciter was a great album, but again, not my fav (although I absolutely love "Goodnight Lovers", and "When the Body Speaks"). I miss Martin singing, he seems to do it less and less these days. With "Precious" being a song he wrote for his kids, you'd think he'd be the one to sing it. I'll be seeing them in Anaheim in Nov, which will undoubtedly be a good show. I've always enjoyed their shows at the Pond. My favorites are "A Pain That I'm Used To", "Precious", and "Nothing's Impossible" (does this song remind anyone else of "But Not Tonight", or is it just me?)

I totally disagree with you, MM. Times change, sounds change, people change. I suppose you'd be happy with another Speak and Spell? DM has been changing every album, and this album is no different. It's not a huge change, but it's another evolution. I'd personally be bored if they stayed the same... Of course, Morrissey is basically the same, and it doesn't stop me from buying his albums...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

OK, How does it stack up against Construction Time Again or Some Great Reward? Those are the Depeche Mode albums that are my favorites and also the time frame that I saw them live last.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JangoFett
    OK, How does it stack up against Construction Time Again or Some Great Reward? Those are the Depeche Mode albums that are my favorites and also the time frame that I saw them live last.
    Well see here's the thing. HOnestly I don't think it does really. It shouldn't. As artists DM was in an entirely different place. It's apples and oranges.

If you want ot talk preference then I actually like from Violator on, but that's just me.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson