• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

'Alice' vs. 'Alice': A Wonderland Smackdown

From my blog, I settle once and for all which "Alice in Wonderland" is better: Disney's 1951 animated classic, or Tim Burton's 2010 revisionist interpretation.

I caught the midnight showing of "Alice in Wonderland" Thursday night and, like many Disney fans, immediately started comparing Tim Burton's somewhat dark vision of Lewis Carroll's classic tale with the 1951 animated film. There were some revisionist improvements that Burton hit upon (the coming-of-age, sword and sorcery storyline was not one of them), but mostly it reminded me how great the story and characters were in the Disney original. So here, in a totally arbitrary head-to-head character comparison where I decide what matters and what doesn't, I give you Burton Alice vs. Animated Alice. Let's see who wins.

WARNING: Spoilers ahead!

Alice - The Alices in both films are headstrong girls escaping their humdrum everyday lives. Animated Alice deals with the madness of Wonderland with peevish impatience--she just wants to go home and these mad people won't let her. Burton Alice is pursuing her destiny, whether she wants to or not, and ultimately faces her fears while wielding a mean vorpal blade. Animated Alice, on the other hand, wouldn't be caught dead in a suit of armor. Kathryn Beaumont charmingly voiced the more iconic Animated Alice, but Mia Wasikowska creates an Alice that overcomes more adversity, takes down the Red Queen and kicks Wonderland (oops, Underland) a**.
    Winner: Burton Alice.

The Queen of Hearts - Make no mistake, Burton Alice may call her the Red Queen (from "Through the Looking Glass"), but she is unquestionably the Queen of Hearts from "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland." Both the Animated and Burton Queens subscribe to the "off with their heads" school of conflict management, with the Animated Queen coming across as a deliciously psychotic bully. But, Helena Bonham Carter takes the Burton Queen an extra step, turning her into a petulant child who sends a new head into the moat every time she has a tantrum. She even offed the King, crown and all. Let's see the Animated Queen try that one.
    Winner: Burton Queen, by a head.
    Complete article: 'Alice' vs. 'Alice': A Wonderland Smackdown
    Last edited by disneytim; 03-16-2010 at 05:29 AM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: 'Alice' vs. 'Alice': A Wonderland Smackdown

I like the Animated Wonderland better it just felt like a good telling of Alices adventures while Burtains was just another movie in a faraway land and you had to kill some beast.

• keh!

i'll have to agree with the last paragraph of the article. i'd choose animated Alice over Burton's any day. i disagree with their decision of Burton Alice being better than animated. clearly the animated version was a far more interesting character. i loved her gestures and reactions to all that was happening around her. older Alice was such a boring character with almost the same expression through out the entire film. i thought why would that guy ask her to marry him? she'd make a boring wife.

• Mrs. J. Depp

The animated Alice will always and forever be my favorite adaptation of this movie no matter what. Burton's Alice scored many points with me for many reasons. For a light and fluffy Alice in Wonderland, the animated one is perfect for that. But for dark and a bit sinister version, the other one is awesome. I like the best of both worlds.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    The animated Alice will always and forever be my favorite adaptation of this movie no matter what. Burton's Alice scored many points with me for many reasons. For a light and fluffy Alice in Wonderland, the animated one is perfect for that. But for dark and a bit sinister version, the other one is awesome. I like the best of both worlds.
    I agree. After watching Tim Burton's adaption, I became split on the 1951 version and this years.

Both are great to me and I would watch both over and over again.

In terms of the characters portrayed in the two films, i'm split on it.

But I do like Tim Burton's Mad Hatter and Hare.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Banned User

regarding the animated alice and tim burtons ***achoonutcasenutcasenutcasenutcase***** alice, the animated alice has my vote as the winner hands down.

based on the description of the scenes in the movie (havent seen it yet, but know tim burtons reputation nuff said), the older alice not having a care about what is going on? um,,,,,, I personally would think "well, last time I was here some really strange, but interesting things went on. lets see if things have changed" anyway moving on...
    the queen beheading anyone everytime she has a tantrum???? correct me if I am wrong, but wont you soon not have anyone in your court before long? plus, wonderland would be empty, aside from the animal/things, animated flowers, etc. but again I digress. the march hare yelling at alice and throwing a tea pot at her? quite frankly if I drank tea and were invited to a tea party (especially one of this nature) and someone did that to me well, aside from lawsuit pending, I would say "sorry but I am not staying. having stuff thrown at me is not my type of party.

plus....isnt it alittle strange that the mad hatter looks like maybe madonna was actually playing the part and johnny depp was merely doing the voice?

and as I described in another thread....... tim burton I think is scizophrenic. his pattern(s) of only using certain colors and predominately green, black, and white.
    the screen shot of tweedle dee and tweedledum with checkerboard outfits? my first thought was oh great beetlejuice allowed two of his henchmen to escape the spirit world. and add to the fact that their facial expressions are that they HAVE NONE!!!!!!!!!! save for beady eyes.

at least in the original animated movie tweedle dee and tweedle dum acted oh shall we say, in a certain way, human? with a recognizeable face with recognizeable facial expressions???????

and the cheshire cat? looks too cute to be a tim burton creation

personally I am embarrassed to consider the movie a disney film.

so to sum it up in mice chat style:

tim burtons alice in wonderland my vote : thumbdown: and and

disneys 1951 classic and and

• King of Los Angeles

I don't think you can compare the two. Burton's film really works as an addition to the original story. Had the original story not been so familiar, the dream-like familiarity and confusion of alice in the new version would not have been as relatable. You're meant to already know these characters as in a dream. They compliment each other.

• Minion

I'm fascinated that many critics (not in this blog, but other critics) refer to Disney's as the "candy version" in comparison to the new film, while to me, Disney's was a lot closer to Carroll's original. There's no comfortingly familiar fantasy plotline about slaying the monster and overthrowing the evil queen - just madness, madness, madness! Also, In the Disney version, everyone's pretty much a jerk to Alice, and she doesn't really make any friends. The only ones who really seem to sympathize with her are the creatures in Tugley Wood during the song "Very Good Advice". (The flowers are nice for a few minutes, but ultimately turn on her.) The characters in Burton's version are, on the whole, a lot nicer to her (except for the Red Queen's forces, of course, but they're the "bad guys.") The Cheshire Cat offers to bind her wound. The Disney Cheshire Cat would never think to do such a thing.

I liked Burton's version, but I think of Animated Alice in Wonderland more like the "real" Alice in Wonderland. BuzzedLightyear raises an interesting point, though (see above).
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 03-08-2010 at 01:54 PM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzedLightyear View Post
    I don't think you can compare the two.
    I think it's almost impossible not to. The very fact that Disney has released two different movies named "Alice in Wonderland" begs for a comparison. It may be apples and oranges as far as the story is concerned, but these movies still have the same iconic characters many of us grew up on.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzedLightyear View Post
    Burton's film really works as an addition to the original story. Had the original story not been so familiar, the dream-like familiarity and confusion of alice in the new version would not have been as relatable. You're meant to already know these characters as in a dream. They compliment each other.
    One of the problems I had with Burton's "Alice" is I thought most of the new characters didn't complement the old characters at all. Not that I was expecting a duplication of the animated film--I would've been disappointed if that's what I'd gotten. What I wanted to see was more continuity and relatability from earlier versions of the stories, whether it be Carroll's books or the original Disney version. Alice, the Red Queen and the March Hare I could recognize. Other than in name only, the Cheshire Cat, the White Rabbit and, glaringly, the Mad Hatter I could not. I wasn't opposed to revisionist versions of the characters--it's one of the things that intrigued me when I first heard Tim Burton was directing. I just wish he and screenwriter Linda Woolverton had shown more respect to the source material.

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    I'm fascinated that many critics (not in this blog, but other critics) refer to Disney's as the "candy version" in comparison to the new film, while to me, Disney's was a lot closer to Carroll's original. There's no comfortingly familiar fantasy plotline about slaying the monster and overthrowing the evil queen - just madness, madness, madness!
    Directing animator Ward Kimball called it "a loud-mouthed vaudeville show." And this from a man who animated the mad tea party.

Burton's "Alice" could've definitely used a bit more madness. All this business about noble causes and destiny fulfillment has very little place in Wonderland. Any time you have the Cheshire Cat looking out for a cause other than himself, you know you're in trouble.