• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Day and Night' - Pixar Short w/ 'Toy Story 3'

When Day, a sunny fellow, encounters Night, a stranger of distinctly darker moods, sparks fly! Day and Night are frightened and suspicious of each other at first, and quickly get off on the wrong foot. But as they discover each other's unique qualities--and come to realize that each of them offers a different window onto the same world--the friendship helps both to gain a new perspective.
    Fabulous and wildly talented Pixar artists Teddy Newton and Don Shank have collaborated on a new short, 'Day and Night' that will run in theatres in front of 'Toy Story 3' beginning June 18th. Shank says, "it's unlike anything Pixar has produced before."

shank pile: Day & Night

http://micechat.com/forums/movies/13...post1055827480
    Last edited by ALIASd; 03-13-2010 at 03:54 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: 'Day and Night' - Pixar Short w/ 'Toy Story 3'

Here’s a 15 second clip from Teddy Newton’s Pixar short Day and Night which will be released with Toy Story 3 on June 18th. The short is essentially hand drawn, being Pixar’s second film to be animated in 2D animation (Your Friend the Rat was the first). The insides of the characters are CG.

Day and Night clip | Cartoon Brew: Leading the Animation Conversation
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

The new short, 'Day & Night' from long-time Pixar animator and character designer Teddy Newton is a marvel. It is easily one of their bravest and most sophisticated efforts yet. His work and influence has been evidenced in 'The Incredibles', 'Ratatouille' and earlier in Brad Bird's 'The Iron Giant'. It's a thrill to watch and experience, and looks like a lock for Best Animated Short at Oscar time.
    http://micechat.com/forums/movies/13...-spoilers.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Day & Night' is now available on iTunes

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Day & Night' 40-page full color hardback book available 7/22

Day meets Night and Night meets Day in this delightful picture book based on the Pixar short, Day & Night, which premiered with Toy Story 3 in 2010. Kids will delight in the way these two characters explore their differences and eventually realize how much they like and enjoy each other. A wonderful way to experience the magic of this Pixar short again and again and—rejoice in the attraction of opposites!

Teddy Newton is an artist at Pixar Animation Studios. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area.
    Pre-Order at:
    Day & Night: $14.99 : Kids : Chronicle Books

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Teddy Newton will be at the Balboa Theatre in San Francisco for the 7 p.m. and 9:15 p.m. Friday night screenings of "Toy Story 3"

-- answering questions after the first screening and introducing the second. (Newton has provided several voices in Pixar features, including Chatter the telephone in "TS3.") More information about the Balboa is available here.

Read more: The Poop : Pixar "Day & Night" director at Balboa Theatre on Friday

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

It was a clever idea, BUT with the added dialog at the end, BLECHHHHH!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

It was ok but definitely not one of Pixar's best.

• I'm not really here

I don't think the dialog at the end was needed at all. I think the point was very clear just from the visuals. Other than that, I really enjoyed it. Very clever, and in the 3d it looks really cool too. Definitely not my favorite Pixar short, but still very good.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Senior Minion

I thought it was brilliant (we just saw it tonight)...the story is everything, I thought it was imaginative, and it had some terrific animation (especially the shots with the day and night Vega).

No, it wasn't Presto Chango, but it's still something I'll watch repeatedly when the DVD comes out.