Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Disneyland PAP

Re: Movies in 3D - is it REALLY the future?

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    A good movie is a good movie is a good movie, no matter if it's in 2D, 3D, IMAX, Blu-Ray, DVD, VHS, Betamax, etc.
    I totally agree with this statement. But, and I don't mean to necessarily be insulting, how many general audience members know the difference? Whether it's spin or not, the studios and the media regularly now exclaim "new records" every time a new 3D movie like Avatar and Alice in Wonderland breaks opening weekend records for the format.

Like Blu-ray, the studios are supporting 3D HDTV too by gambling on upgrading 2D films to 3D for their eventual release in that format to consumers. With these records, I'm sure to them it seems less of a gamble for their investments now.

Ultimately, money talk and the studios listen. So as audiences continue buying up tickets for 3D movies, we can't avoid seeing more 3D publicity and films, regardless of whether it's a good or bad movie. But it gets butts into theatres, which theatre owners obviously love, and provides another 3D Blu-ray title to release which 3D HDTV manufactures appreciate. (And there'll also be 3D channels coming this summer too.)

It does seem like Hollywood and 3D HDTV brands are shoving this down our throats. But on the practical side, I'll watch a 3D movie if I think I'll enjoy it, but I don't plan to buy a brand new 3D HDTV for quite some time, not after I only bought my 2D HDTV a couple of years ago.

• Circle of Ancients

Honestly, I think the studios/manufacturers are going to get a HUGE back-lash when it comes to the 3D TV's.

Even bigger than the most people have when it comes to Blu-Ray. People just upgraded their TV's to HDTV and there are still a LOT of people who haven't yet. Now they are going to come out with 3D TV's? And people think there is a lack of HD content now ... there will be even less 3D content.

I know I could certainly care less about watching movies/shows/sports in 3D at home. I guess the good thing to come out of that will be a further drop in price for HDTV's.

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Honestly, I think the studios/manufacturers are going to get a HUGE back-lash when it comes to the 3D TV's.

Even bigger than the most people have when it comes to Blu-Ray. People just upgraded their TV's to HDTV and there are still a LOT of people who haven't yet. Now they are going to come out with 3D TV's? And people think there is a lack of HD content now ... there will be even less 3D content.

I know I could certainly care less about watching movies/shows/sports in 3D at home. I guess the good thing to come out of that will be a further drop in price for HDTV's.

I agree.

My opinion is that they are "reacting" to the loss of business HDTV's and Bluray are having on the box office revenues and now TV manufacturers are trying to capture the dollars on this while the subject is hot.

I really don't see the average American investing in 3DTV, and I sure don't see folks wearing 3D glasses for very long.

This is a fad. Fads nearly aways grow an e on the end over time.

I will rarely see a film in 3D, it's OK, but will not become a habit for me, I'm sure. 95% of everything I'll watch will be fine in standard HD!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Neep meep beep

Another reason that studios love 3D is that it's almost impossible to pirate. Sneak a camcorder into a movie screening that's in 3D and it comes out unuseable. That, plus the fact that they can charge more, equals 3D being the new 'it' thing in Hollywood.

Look for an explosion of 3D films post-Avatar. (Even Alice was originally filmed in 2D and then returned for a 3D treatment post-production).

• 60 Dazzling Years!

I'm one of those who is not a big fan of 3D movies. I don't get headaches, the glasses don't bother me, I just don't think it really adds much to a feature length movie experience. Some scenes are usually pretty cool, but the rest might as well be 2D. For short film presentations like what have been in the parks for years, it is great, but not for 90 to 150 minutes at a time. Avatar worked well, but until I don't have a choice, I don't expect to go out of my way to see things in 3D.

•   
    • Seasick

I don't think it's necesscary per se, but I enjoy it when it's done right like with Avatar.

Avatar didn't use cheap 3D gimmicks, it used it to make the film feel more real, more immersive.

I actually didn't care for UP in 3D, as the glasses dimmed the film, and I didn't feel the 3D mattered. It's going to vary movie by movie.

I'm fine as long as we have a choice, and I don't want to see movies use 3D as a gimmick. Final Destination 4 in 3D for example, used the 3D to show things sticking out of the screen. A movie like that doesn't translate as well to 2D. Avatar on the other hand, works either way.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Sneak a camcorder into a movie screening that's in 3D and it comes out unusable.
    All that is needed is a polarized filter on the lens to remove the double image.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Here is what Roger Ebert says about it

3-D is a distracting, annoying, anti-realistic, juvenile abomination to use as an excuse for higher prices.
    Twitter / Roger Ebert: 3-D is a distracting, anno ...
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Pilot EdForceOne

Check out this interview with Katzenberg... who slams cheap conversions as the likely death blow to 3D

So the issue of "Clash of the Titans" is actually not about theater (capacity) and theater access, it is about (what) that movie represents -- a different experience. And in my opinion, one that, if replicated, and becomes the standard, is the end of 3D.

We've seen the highest end of (3D) in "Avatar" and you have now witnessed the lowest end of it (in "Titans"). You cannot do anything that is of a lower grade and a lower quality than what has just been done on "Clash of the Titans." It literally is "OK, congratulations! You just snookered the movie audience."

The act of doing it was disingenuous. We may get away with it a few times but in the long run, (moviegoers) will wake up. And the day they wake up is the day they walk away from us and we blew it.
    Katzenberg: Biz at 3D crossroads - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

Am I evil? yes, I am

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I was gonna post that last night but forgot so I'm glad someone did. I have HEAPS more respect for Katzenberg lately and I'm glad he's bold enough to say what he does. I think he's absolutely right.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Pilot EdForceOne

well even though he doesn't say it... I still gotta believe there is a bit of the studio posturing in his statements though. Titans as 3D does compete for a limited resource - one was standing to be a blockbuster type movie.. the other a successful animation flick. So to have his film have to compete for 'real estate' against something that was just a cheaply done gimmick while they don't treat the media the same.. has got to be frustrating.

I do agree with his premise though - if you deliver junk - you lose the ability to sell the customers that your new toy is worth paying more for. And in the end.. that's what 3D is for them.. an opportunity to increase theatre takes.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by dead_Mau5 View Post

Don't forget, were only 5 years away from Jaws 19, this marquee:

I think 3D only works for a very few movies. I enjoyed "A Christmas Carol" in 3D. I thought it worked really well. Other movies (Up comes to mind) didn't work as well for me. The 3D fad will fade away in a few years....and we will all remember how 3D was a big deal at the beginning of the 2010's.
    WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
    DLR: 1999, 2009
    DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
    http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

• Minion

I myelf am a big fan of 3D but only when used in the right movies. It adds another aspect to the movie to really enjoy. Take for example Avatar, How To Train Your Dragon, Christmas Carol, or the upcoming Tron Legacy. But when used in a movie that didn't need it, like Clash Of The Titans for example, which wasnt shot in 3D but had the effect added, and horribly might I add, it's useless.

And oh yeah, for all those saying the upcoming Prince of Persia is in 3D, your mistaken. Prince Of Persia isn't in 3D, although there was a PoP 3D but it was the title of one of the Persia games
    Follow me on Twitter for live updates & pictures from the park:

• Crazy Furry

To me 3D films have pretty much gone the way of the sharks of Hollywood, just because a couple films found success with it...everyone wants a piece of the profit.

Now there's a combination of two things that'll certainly hurt 3D films very fast, getting 3D through the cheap post conversion method and the raising of ticket prices.

For me the only way a 3D film can be done right is with the Real D cameras, however with films like Clash of the Titans it didn't use the special cameras since it wasn't filmed in mind of being a 3D film.

Clash used the cheap post conversion method that just doesn't work, it looks shoddy and not even close to how well a 3D film can be.

Because of the cheapness of the 3D, it just doesn't justify paying more to see it. It's like paying big bucks to see a Cirque Du Soliel show and the show turns out to be a low rate circus.

The more people that get fed up with paying more for a lessened experience, the faster 3D films will become a fad.
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast