Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Movies in 3D - is it REALLY the future?

Well here's something interesting from wikipedia, not sure how accurate it is, but it's worth looking at :

The current 3D "fad" has had a LONG incubation period. Both Disney and IMAX were in the forefront since 1985 and 1986. Of course Disney used the technology at DL and WDW, and IMAX had several film. In Nov 2004 IMAX had it's first animated 3d movie with Polar Express. But, not until "regular" theaters found is economically feasible to convert their theaters for the "new" 3D. And that started around 2005. Disney had Chicken Little in 2005 in regular theaters that were converted. And in a Wonderful Creative move, this first 3d animated feature by Disney featured 3D Glasses in the same style as worn by the title character Chicken Little! So I would say the current 3D fad started in 2005. And with additional theaters being converted, and the cost of these conversion, those 3D movies won't be fading away, anytime soon. However, theater up-pricing the 3D movies will have a backlash at a certain point. If they haven't crossed it already.

• Circle of Ancients

Also, the thing with "Clash" was the marketing of it as a 3D movie, even the TV commercials were hyping it up as "Clash of the Titans in 3d ... also in 2D"

I just wasn't buying it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Well here's something interesting from wikipedia, not sure how accurate it is, but it's worth looking at :

The current 3D "fad" has had a LONG incubation period. Both Disney and IMAX were in the forefront since 1985 and 1986. Of course Disney used the technology at DL and WDW, and IMAX had several film. In Nov 2004 IMAX had it's first animated 3d movie with Polar Express. But, not until "regular" theaters found is economically feasible to convert their theaters for the "new" 3D. And that started around 2005. Disney had Chicken Little in 2005 in regular theaters that were converted. And in a Wonderful Creative move, this first 3d animated feature by Disney featured 3D Glasses in the same style as worn by the title character Chicken Little! So I would say the current 3D fad started in 2005. And with additional theaters being converted, and the cost of these conversion, those 3D movies won't be fading away, anytime soon. However, theater up-pricing the 3D movies will have a backlash at a certain point. If they haven't crossed it already.

totally!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Future Disney CM and WDI

There is a BIG difference between shooting in 3D and screening in 3D.
    The post conversion 3D process is where Alice and Titans failed miserably. The process is rushed, electronic and very artificial. The 3D effects look digital and unconvincing.
    Avatar's 3D truely was immersive and effective due to the film actually being filmed in 3D. The Cameron/Pace Fusion 3D system is a far cry from other 3D systems, like the dual RED setup also being used to capture in 3D.

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

• Banned User

I agree only some films, many animated ones are actually better in 3D. I am really stoked that Toy Story 3 will be released in 3D actually. It kind of shows how technology has changed since the first film in 1999 and I think it will definitely enhance that film's viewing experience.

• User

Quote Originally Posted by clairebear View Post
    I agree only some films, many animated ones are actually better in 3D. I am really stoked that Toy Story 3 will be released in 3D actually. It kind of shows how technology has changed since the first film in 1999 and I think it will definitely enhance that film's viewing experience.
    Not to be nit-picky, but '99 is actually when Toy Story 2 came out. Toy Story was released in 1995... but that actually will make it more impressive, huh?

And the advance of technology is actually one of the reasons I'm so excited for TRON Legacy.... I mean so much has changed since 1982 when CGI was still in it's infancy. It'll be interesting to see the environment switch from 2D to CGI (and some practical sets) environments. And it's in 3D, which should be awesome.

As to 3D films being the future? Who can really say? For the meantime it seems that way, as more and more theaters adapt for 3D and people continue crowding the 3D theaters.

• Banned User

disneyjedi1 -- Pick away! Please! That was totally my mistake. And you know what? I knew it was 1995, but when you say it out loud it is almost unbelievable that it has been that long since the first movie..

I am totally on board with you about Tron: Legacy too! It looks fabulous. Overall, I too like this "3D" direction that films are taking. And for those who choose to opt out, it isn't too hard to find a theater showing the same movie in normal 2D either..it is a win/win situation for all!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Katzenberg was just on the Colbert report, and K said that all future Dreamworks Animated films would now be released in 3D.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Katzenberg was just on the Colbert report, and K said that all future Dreamworks Animated films would now be released in 3D.
    This doesn't surprise me one bit.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Nope, not surprised either. I wouldn't be surprised if Pixar takes the same route. UP was a 3D release and so will Toy Story 3.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I hope not. I don't care if they release movies in 3D, and sometimes it's cool, but generally I'd rather see a 2D movie. That's my opinion.

"Do you want me to be like you or totally honest?"
    "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
    "I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing basically."

• Infinitized!

Just like a Disneyland ride warning:
    CBC News - Consumer Life - 3-D TV warning for kids, pregnant women

I wonder if this also pertains to theatrical movies?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite1937 View Post
    I hope not. I don't care if they release movies in 3D, and sometimes it's cool, but generally I'd rather see a 2D movie. That's my opinion.
    I definitely think it depends on the movie and story, but with Pixar all their films are so visual that 3D only enhances the final product, in my opinion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123