Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Movies in 3D - is it REALLY the future?

I keep reading the stories or seeing reports about how all of these movies are being released in 3D because "Avatar" did so well in 3D. Even going so far as to say that the ONLY reason Alice did so great was because it was in 3D.

I saw it in 2D, and it was fine.

Personally, I don't really get the whole "3D" thing and not EVERYTHING needs it. It worked for Avatar, I'm not going to say it didn't. It didn't really work for Up (IMO) as we saw it in both 3D and 2D and it didn't really make a difference. A good movie is a good movie is a good movie, no matter if it's in 2D, 3D, IMAX, Blu-Ray, DVD, VHS, Betamax, etc.

Do we REALLY need Clash of the Titans or Prince of Persia in 3D?

IMO, this is more about $$ than anything else and the studios/theatres have found a way to get an additonal $3 out of us when going to the movies (for the cost of the glasses). And then they want you to recycle them. How about they let you keep the ones from the previous movie and skip the $3 charge?

Are you a fan of 3D movies? Does it make them better for you or do you really not care?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: Movies in 3D - is it REALLY the future?

I'm a freak. I know, that's kinda redundant, but let me explain. One of my eyes is, from what the doc told me, 'differently shaped.' The result is that when I watch a 3-D movie, I can only see the depth. They do that jumping out bit, where they head to the audience rapidly, it blurs quickly. If I remember my reading glasses, I'm fine, but otherwise, nah, it doesn't work.

I mention this to show you that 3-D only really works for a specific part of an audience. There's a physical component that if you don't have, you miss.

To get 3-D to go beyond the 'fad' stage, you have activitely engage the audience that the 3-D experience is beyond what you are watching. It worked for Avatar in sequences where there was no fighting. I think of the plot development scenes where little bugs and 'leaves' floated out into the audience--it gave you the feeling that you were, in essence, part of the picture. It's like when you are on Indiana Jones and look away from the scene before you (like the Doors of Doom) and still see details behind you, above you and around you....the feeling that you are truly all surrounded by the moment.

However, most 3-D movies don't do this--they jump, scare and giggle with the effects. One movie doesn't equal a trend. You need filmmakers to see the potential of 3-D and go beyond that moment. Tron: Legacy is coming out in 3-D and how I would love it if the first part of the movie was 'normal' and, as we enter the world inside the computer, suddenly it becomes 3-D. It would be as if the computer realm was a different calibre, something with different physics. Alas, they'll treat it like something fun and just throw things at us. Sad.

Believe it or not, I think Captain Eo was another moment in 3-D where it worked. Sure, things jumped out at us---but there are also moments where there are little sparkles floating around the healed princess at the end of the movie. It's moments like that that can really be expanded on.

I'm also reminded of Alice in Wonderland. The smoke around the catipillar was perfect. And the 3-D didn't really come alive until after they entered "Underland."

Is it the future? I think it's too early so say, but if filmmakers sit and think before using it...they might have something. IMAX used to be thought of as a gimmick and frankly, I've seen that grow to make a mediocre film something extraordinary (I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the added element of size made it more than it was...).

Sorry, my two cents.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Once Avatar hype gone down people will then go actually the movie was not the best in the world. The grapthics are good. Once the hype dies down then movie makers will be trouble. People will see the medicore scripts. IMO tech moving a bit to fast. People need to get use to stuff before you move onto the next thing.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

ye gods, I hope not. 3D is the tech equivalent of stunt casting. It's a curiosity and gets people talking, but doesn't contribute to the film and may actually be detrimental. I didn't think it added to UP! and in fact to me it lessened the experience. The glasses gave me a headache. Eventually I took them off and the movie looked fine without them.
    I wish instead of junk like this, the studios would put some money into maybe some decent scripts. Do we need Clash of the Titans of Prince of Persia in 3D? How about...Do we need either film at all?? How about some original ideas?

• Goofy

only certain animated movies should be limited to 3d as a special effect thing. I think they are over using it too much.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    I'm also reminded of Alice in Wonderland. The smoke around the catipillar was perfect. And the 3-D didn't really come alive until after they entered "Underland."
    I thought the 3d was awesome during the caterpillars scenes. But the real world 3d effects were very lackluster. I was reminded of cartoon cells during the real scenes, there was depth to it, but everything was flat. Like different items seemed to be at different depths, but the items were flat.

• hi!

i like the little added effect that 3D brings to the screen.. but that's all it is to me, little added effect.

when i saw Avatar, i found the 3D to be a bit distracting.. and as the movie went on, i got used to it and didn't feel more immersed in the environment than i did when i saw it again in 2D.

this happens to me with all 3D movies. i'll notice the "ooh" and "ahh" effect when the movie first starts.. then i'll find it to be a distraction.. then i'll completely forget about it.
    -plagued

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Just because I feel like complaining...

A good film is supposed to put you within the story, so that you no longer notice or remember you're sitting in a theater; you're totally immersed. If you say to yourself "Wow, that effect is cool!" Then they're doing it wrong. Oh, it might be cool, but it's now a stunt and not done for the benefit of the film at all.

• hi!

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    Just because I feel like complaining...

A good film is supposed to put you within the story, so that you no longer notice or remember you're sitting in a theater; you're totally immersed. If you say to yourself "Wow, that effect is cool!" Then they're doing it wrong. Oh, it might be cool, but it's now a stunt and not done for the benefit of the film at all.
    i wonder if the fact that after a while i forget a movie is in 3D is because i feel immersed.. or if i just dont care anymore.. haha.
    -plagued

• Pilot EdForceOne

Heard a quote from the producer of Avatar... he doesn't think they'll ever do another 2D project. Why not do it in 3D if you've already done the investment? It's akin to stereo vs mono... B&W vs color... etc

The only real negative is some people still complain about the glasses/etc. So they distribute 2D versions as well..

But clinks hit on part of it... it is a way to fight off the home theatre, bootlegs, and boost ticket revenues. They have to come up with ways to ensure you visit the theatre... and not just wait for the DVD. But I don't think they figured home 3D would be available as soon as it's coming now...
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• no flash photography...

I would rather watch 2d movies. The glasses and watching the 3D stuff gives me headaches. I freely admit I get headaches really easily.

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    A good movie is a good movie is a good movie, no matter if it's in 2D, 3D, IMAX, Blu-Ray, DVD, VHS, Betamax, etc.
    This right here pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. 3-D is a gimmick. Every studio is now jumping on the bandwagon because of Avatar's success, because that's what they always do. Hopefully it's just a fad that will eventually run its course though.

• ...is busy, please hold.

Well it was the future in 1983? Why not now?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=636cMq0PFT4"]Brought to you in blood cuddling three dimensions of TERROR![/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i92HbFBdGFc"]Now for some unbelievably futuristic 3-D[/ame]
    Last edited by dead_Mau5; 03-15-2010 at 09:51 AM.
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

Well I saw Alice in 3D, and felt it was a bit gimicky. I grew tired of the 3D effects about ten minutes into the film.

I think the long term for 3D will be short lived, partially because the novelty will wear off (paying $3 or more for EVERY movie for new glasses won't help).

I think over all 3D films work much better as a short film subject (ala Captain E/O) where the point of the film is to stick you in the eye every few seconds.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I'm not stating whether I like 3D or not, but by now I've seen so many movies in 3D, and so many movies have been released in 3D, that it's getting to the point where it feels weird to me when I go to a movie that isn't in 3D.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast