Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Tim Burton's next: 'The Addams Family'

Just saw a clip of the Broadway Version with Bebe Neuwirth as Mortician (she does and Nathan Lane as Gomez, and it looks to be entertaining. But I don't know if it will work well as a musical. The most recent movies on the family were just ok, and even though they had some box office success, I think they failed, when compared to the original tv show.

Even though the comic strip was first, the actors in the 1960's tv series really gave the full definition of those characters, and all other future Gomez and Morticia's will be measured up to what John and Carolyn set as a standard. And that is a high standard to live up to. And that entire cast had such great chemistry.

I think Tim Burton will have quite a challenge to attempt to give us something better.

• FastPass n00b

Ever since the late 90's, Tim Burton has taken movies that have been done to death and gives them his own spin, usually based on the original source material. This would be GREAT, if it wasn't *everything* he's done for the past 11 years. Corpse Bride was a really amazing film, although it felt more like The Nightmare Before Christmas being replayed, but this is just more of the same.

Edward Scissorhands is Tim Burton's free pass for the rest of his life so he really doesn't have to do anything else to become one of the best directors in history. But I'd rather see him improving on his incredible achievements, rather than relying on them for support. After he did Edward Scissorhands though, he didn't have to do anything else.

But it really is sad to see such a creative icon rely on so many other stories for material.

In my honest opinion, a lot of movies today are remakes of something, whether it be a book, or a comic book hero. I'm no expert but I am excited about Burton doing a film on the Addams family and make it come alive for a newer generation. And that it's being done in stop motion is what makes me very excited, because even though the story has been told many times, I think stop motion is perfect. I'm seeing the characters kind of look like the ones from Corpse Bride, thin, and very tall. Especially for Morticia. (Sp?)
    I do agree that him working with Depp and everyone is getting a bit boring but each of them are exceptional actors and actresses and I feel that they would bring the Family to life in a new way. I have high hopes for this movie.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    Ever since the late 90's, Tim Burton has taken movies that have been done to death and gives them his own spin, usually based on the original source material. This would be GREAT, if it wasn't *everything* he's done for the past 11 years. Corpse Bride was a really amazing film, although it felt more like The Nightmare Before Christmas being replayed, but this is just more of the same.

Edward Scissorhands is Tim Burton's free pass for the rest of his life so he really doesn't have to do anything else to become one of the best directors in history. But I'd rather see him improving on his incredible achievements, rather than relying on them for support. After he did Edward Scissorhands though, he didn't have to do anything else.

But it really is sad to see such a creative icon rely on so many other stories for material.
    Batman is another free pass in my opinion .

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    It almost seems too obvious and easy as a choice from a style perspective.

Exactly! This man can only make one movie, and he does it over and over again. With the exception of the Batman films, I've never been impressed. Be prepared to have Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter voice Gomez and Morticia. I'd bet anything.

• Dreaming of Disney

The thing I thought was funny is that no one on here even questions the fact that JD and HBC will be stars in this. Honestly, that is the largest sign of his repetitious nature in the film industry. Sad really....

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
    Nobody can play Gomez like Raul Julia!

X2. No way will Burton's movie be better.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAprilShowers View Post
    The thing I thought was funny is that no one on here even questions the fact that JD and HBC will be stars in this. Honestly, that is the largest sign of his repetitious nature in the film industry. Sad really....
    Do you find it sad that Tom Hanks has starred in 4 films for director Ron Howard so far? Or that Cary Grant and James Stewart starred in 4 Alfred Hitchcock classics apiece? What you call "repetitious nature" is part of the film industry's established history.

Burton's collaboration with his stock troupe really isn't the perceived problem. The stretching and expanding of his abilities as an artist is what seems to be in question here. He's never directed a stop-motion animated feature film before so this is an interesting first step.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12