Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Journey On!

Question About THE PRINCESS & THE FROG...

Is it really impossible for someone who loves the nostalgia and potential of Disney (like me and I imagine most people here) to admit that the much-hyped latest film is seriously flawed and feels hacked? All race/history issues aside (and there are plenty), I can't understand how so many MiceChatters who've talked about this film - people who love and understand what Disney can do - are satisfied with this crappy movie. Now that it's been released in Japan, I'd enjoy talking about it with the other TDR Chatters, and I'll reply to Imagineer Scott's message here, which felt like it was headed off-topic in the other thread.

*Wow, I was afraid and defensive, huh? It means a lot not to feel like the only person on Earth who a) loves Disney and b) was very disappointed by this film.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
    You didn't like PatF and you found it offensive? :o

Oh my.

PatF got great reviews, I believe it was Time magazine's #1 movie for 2009 against Avatar, Up, The Blind Side, and The Hurt Locker. If it was for cash only then it didn't quite reach its goal...
    My intention is not to refresh my frustration with P&tF - a movie I wanted to love so much, I saw it a second time and really tried to force myself. Nor do I wish to set up personal arguments which is a waste of time and not why any of us come here. I just feel compelled to respond to this rationale. A movie getting "great reviews" doesn't mean it's good and certainly doesn't mean I should like it (and in many cases likely means that the largest, most powerful entertainment corporation on earth has the clout to get out the media message it wants, even when the film "mysteriously" underperforms at the box office).

I have yet to meet anyone outside hardcore Disney devotees who thinks P&tF is even in the same league with Snow White, Cinderella, Beauty & the Beast and the other princess tales as far as compelling character, structure and storytelling go. Most people I know haven't even bothered to see it. There's a reason - many, actually - that "it didn't quite reach its goal" or expectations for profits. The animation is charming, but the film is just not well-constructed enough to create the "wow" of Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid or Aladdin. It does not feel like a Classic and a LOT of people voted with their wallet, even though it got my money. It was worth it for Dr Facilier, though; he is truly a classic Disney villain.

Here's an interesting article with some comments from the directors of Lilo & Stitch and How to Train Your Dragon (which looks...potentially promising though I don't really like the trailer on the website). Here's the gist:

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoSentinel
    With Princess and the Frog not doing gangbuster business, despite rave reviews, Oprah plugs, the works, is 2D traditional “classic” feature film animation truly and finally dead?

“We both came up in classic animation, and we both love it, DeBlois told me. “But we see it as just another medium, a means of telling a story. If a story seems to suggest that it’s best suited for that style of animation, that’s what we use.

Story is king. We don’t blame a medium when a project doesn’t do the sort of business studios hope. Several not so great movies came out in 2D after Lilo & Stitch, and that kind of created the illusion that it was not as viable as 3D CG animation. But I don’t believe in it.

If you tell a great story and play to the strengths of hand-drawn animation, then it can be every bit as successful and beloved as any other movie.

Sanders echoes what DeBlois says (John Lasseter is also one who sticks to that same ’story is king’ talking point), and adds that he thinks “audiences are intelligent (except when they choose to tune out because they so deeply desire to embrace a brand, no matter what) and not elitist and don’t go to something simply because of the medium it is done in. It comes down to whether or not the story connects with people. Different styles just give them more choices.

“If a movie like Princess and the Frog doesn’t do great, you always have to go back to the story and start asking questions there. But you can’t know why audiences don’t take to a movie in the numbers you’d expect.”

“How a movie will do is the object of conjecture up until the day a movie is released,” DeBlois adds. “What would I pay money to see up on the screen? I wouldn’t rush out to see a movie about jazz in Old New Orleans. Just my personal taste.

“I might have played around with the subject, fiddled with the music. But it still reached a LOT of people.”
    Their repeated mention of "story issues" is worth noting, and these guys know what they're talking about. From Wikipedia (because I'm too lazy to find a "real" source):

Lilo & Stitch received very positive reviews from critics and movie-goers alike, and to date has been the only Walt Disney Feature Animation/Walt Disney Animation Studios production released during the 2000s to meet with critical approval and make its cost back during its original theatrical run.

It ends on an apologetic note, which kind of runs throughout, but remember that these guys made a solid hit movie with Disney, too, and surely must watch what they say. The fact that they say this much speaks volumes to me. I think it's press politeness rather than a genuine head-scratcher that they feign "conjecture" as to why this film doesn't play, even to supporters, as a "Disney Classic." The general public's response, when you take away brand loyalty, has been pretty clear. And pretty global, too, so it's not just or even primarily about those uniquely American race issues, either.

I said once when I was feeling particularly full of conspiracy theory, that P&tF feels like it was made intentionally to publicly kill the Princess marketing (an "emergency exit," if you will...see link at bottom of post) and to "prove" that 1) black characters can't be stars in Disney animation without race issues polarizing the audience and 2) 2D animation is dead so that the studio can choose not to pursue it anymore without outcry from fans. I'm not feeling so paranoid today. Today, I think it's possibly just that bad a movie, a collection of ill- and half-made choices with just enough shimmering potential to be heartachingly disappointing.

On a related note, this link is also interesting, about the retitling of Rapunzel, etc.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 03-22-2010 at 02:37 AM. Reason: *a note of thanks

Re: About THE PRINCESS & THE FROG...

And here I was thinking this was going to be a thread about the Princess and the Frog in Tokyo Disneyland.

• De la Terre à la Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    And here I was thinking this was going to be a thread about the Princess and the Frog in Tokyo Disneyland.
    I was thinking the same...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad View Post
    Is it really impossible for someone who loves the nostalgia and potential of Disney (like me and I imagine most people here) to admit that the much-hyped latest film is seriously flawed and feels hacked? All race/history issues aside (and there are plenty), I can't understand how so many MiceChatters who've talked about this film - people who love and understand what Disney can do - are satisfied with this crappy movie. Now that it's been released in Japan, I'd enjoy talking about it with the other TDR Chatters, and I'll reply to Imagineer Scott's message here, which felt like it was headed off-topic in the other thread.

My intention is not to refresh my frustration with P&tF - a movie I wanted to love so much, I saw it a second time and really tried to force myself. Nor do I wish to set up personal arguments which is a waste of time and not why any of us come here. I just feel compelled to respond to this rationale. A movie getting "great reviews" doesn't mean it's good and certainly doesn't mean I should like it (and in many cases likely means that the largest, most powerful entertainment corporation on earth has the clout to get out the media message it wants, even when the film "mysteriously" underperforms at the box office).

I have yet to meet anyone outside hardcore Disney devotees who thinks P&tF is even in the same league with Snow White, Cinderella, Beauty & the Beast and the other princess tales as far as compelling character, structure and storytelling go. Most people I know haven't even bothered to see it. There's a reason - many, actually - that "it didn't quite reach its goal" or expectations for profits. The animation is charming, but the film is just not well-constructed enough to create the "wow" of Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid or Aladdin. It does not feel like a Classic and a LOT of people voted with their wallet, even though it got my money. It was worth it for Dr Facilier, though; he is truly a classic Disney villain.

Here's an interesting article with some comments from the directors of Lilo & Stitch and How to Train Your Dragon (which looks...potentially promising though I don't really like the trailer on the website). Here's the gist:

Their repeated mention of "story issues" is worth noting, and these guys know what they're talking about. From Wikipedia (because I'm too lazy to find a "real" source):

Lilo & Stitch received very positive reviews from critics and movie-goers alike, and to date has been the only Walt Disney Feature Animation/Walt Disney Animation Studios production released during the 2000s to meet with critical approval and make its cost back during its original theatrical run.

It ends on an apologetic note, which kind of runs throughout, but remember that these guys made a solid hit movie with Disney, too, and surely must watch what they say. The fact that they say this much speaks volumes to me. I think it's press politeness rather than a genuine head-scratcher that they feign "conjecture" as to why this film doesn't play, even to supporters, as a "Disney Classic." The general public's response, when you take away brand loyalty, has been pretty clear. And pretty global, too, so it's not just or even primarily about those uniquely American race issues, either.

I said once when I was feeling particularly full of conspiracy theory, that P&tF feels like it was made intentionally to publicly kill the Princess marketing (an "emergency exit," if you will...see link at bottom of post) and to "prove" that 1) black characters can't be stars in Disney animation without race issues polarizing the audience and 2) 2D animation is dead so that the studio can choose not to pursue it anymore without outcry from fans. I'm not feeling so paranoid today. Today, I think it's possibly just that bad a movie, a collection of ill- and half-made choices with just enough shimmering potential to be heartachingly disappointing.

On a related note, this link is also interesting, about the retitling of Rapunzel, etc.

I agree with you. PatF was so calculated, so generic, so uninspired, so lacking, that it would best be described as a big-screen cheapquel, and that would be a fair description because, like the other cheapquels, it drew heavily upon prior Disney properties without adding anything new to the Disney legacy. It was a real letdown for me. The only good thing about that movie was Tiana herself, and she was submerged in slime, (oh excuse me, MUCUS) schmaltz and swamp water for too much of the movie. And the other characters didn't help matters. The alligator was a total waste of celluloid - loud, stupid and unfunny - the villain's motives were poorly explained, and his animation was workable but lacked spark, leaving him as flat and soulless as a paper doll. In no way is he in the same league as Scar, Maleficent, Stromboli, or Ursula - and he should have been; the potential was there.

I really wanted this film to be great. It just wasn't. And you know what I think - I think part of the reason this project, and projects like the Narnia films, didn't quite gel is because Disney just didn't try hard enough. It was too tentative, too fearful, too focused on the bottom line. Walt never ever thought like that, and that's why his works are timeless. One of the reasons I like Jeff Katzenberg is because, when he was at Disney, he seemed to have some grasp of how a story is told the Disney way. Right now nobody at Disney understands that; they think it's just a formula. But a formula is no substitute for creativity. You can't create anything great without two essential elements: inspiration and guts. And those are two things that money - even Disney money - can't buy.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    It was too tentative, too fearful, too focused on the bottom line.
    John's involvement notwithstanding, WDFA is controlled by management.

From concept to screen, P&tF was forced to run a gauntlet of suit sensibility, pecking order and groupthink.

And it shows.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Its not the best but is better than most of the films in the last tens years and even some of the classics.

• no flash photography...

I still have no desire to watch it. The accent in the previews makes me cringe. I can't imagine sitting through a whole movie listening to that.

• Banned User

I still haven't seen it, but I will definitely be remembering all opinions on the film when I finally do, both the positives and the negatives, while, of course, forming my own.

The fact that it's gone SO QUICKLY to video is, to me, an indicator that they're more or less throwing it under the bus.

I must admit that I'm wondering just how long it will be before we see another Disney animated movie with a Black lead character, male or female.

• Journey On!

Lightbulb Re: About THE PRINCESS & THE FROG...

I just watched Cats Don't Dance on [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE3djeaP4sg"]YouTube[/ame]as referenced in this blog that suggests Charlotte looks like Darla Dimple (from Cats Don't Dance). I didn't even know this movie existed, but finally it all makes more sense! Disney (and many...all?...animation studios) have done this kind of "borrowing" a lot. Anybody else remember wondering if they were living in a parallel universe convergence around the time of Ants/A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo/Shark Tale, or The Wild/Madagascar?

I remember wondering, as Dean DeBlois did, "What would I pay money to see up on the screen? I wouldn’t rush out to see a movie about jazz in Old New Orleans. Just my personal taste." I just couldn't understand, every time I tried to make sense of it, why in the world Disney would choose to set its "first black princess" hype-HYPE!!! in Jim Crow New Orleans??? Finally, though, I get it. Someone had seen this film.

Naveen has all of Danny's innocent charisma...but not his innocence. After seeing P&tF the second time with one of my Japanese friends (who didn't care about race as much as I did), we found ourselves both concerned about the fact that he never actually says anything like "I'm done with other women. I love only you, Tiana."* Since he was singing about "a redhead on my left arm, a brunette on my right, a blonde or two to hold a candle, that sounds just about right," we felt that he needed to actually say something to confirm a real commitment; that he wasn't just swept up in the adventure of becoming human again. I suggested that maybe he wasn't really such a player after all. I mean, we actually only ever hear about his "conquests" from him. Maybe he's actually kinda sweet and shy and he has this image because he thinks it's charming, manly, and what girls want. I will always see the movie this way now. It is a shame, though, and too much like my most paranoid thoughts, that it seems to be shaping up to be true that the moment Disney made a black princess, the Disney Princess franchise is seen as unnecessary. It's still hard for me to just accept this as coincidence. It seems so obvious to have added one tiny little moment that would reveal he was kinda pretending to be a ladies' man. Not only would it have made his character more charming, it would have made him more complex. And it would've added to the major themes of this film - pretending to be something you're not/the burden of appearances/how perspective shapes reality. These related themes, when used properly, really do make Jim Crow New Orleans a perfect setting! I wish it had been marketed this way, especially since the current Disney model seems to prioritize the way a film will be marketed as the primary influence on the way its story and characters are developed. The animation is gorgeous and the more I think about it, the more potential I see. This film could should have been a hit.

Another thing that bothered me with P&tF was that there was no real development for the characters because of being frogs. Many people seem to think there was, but they are flatly wrong. The only development we see comes as a result of them being together, not the direct result of experiencing life as an amphibian. That frog hunter bayou scene was a waste of time. Stereotypes that thick require a payoff in entertainment of story development, and that scene had neither. What I was expecting, from the moment Tiana realized she could talk to the dog at Charlotte's Mardi Gras ball, was for the pair to see life from the perspective of animals - their hardships and difficulties as "second class citizens" in a human world (like Ratatouille). Again, this would help the setting make sense, form a far more interesting film, and probably have inspired some much more memorable music.

This is also how the animal/human character dynamic is used in Cats Don't Dance, where it is very effective at moving the narrative along without once even reminding me of a "racial" divide or making me think too seriously. I'm not saying it should've been used in a way that made P&tF a racial allegory; nothing of the kind. It's just an effective narrative device that would have been even more powerful in P&tF. Taking out the frog catchers and using the time to pepper the story with a little of this would have gone a long way toward narrative cohesion and genuinely silenced complaints about Tiana's being a frog for so long. The closest we come to this is in Louis, but an alligator wanting to play the trumpet is so many steps totally removed from reality that it doesn't build on our real emotions. A scene where Tiana saw a chef cooking gumbo after talking to some shrimp or pigs might have been veeery intriguing. We all remember Sebastian in the kitchen in The Little Mermaid, right? With so many callbacks and our heroine turned into a frog, it's very hard for me to understand why something like this wasn't thought of for Tiana's development. Perhaps she'd decide to serve gumbo z'herbes in her restaurant.^^

Finally, after watching Cats Don't Dance's female lead, Sawyer, I realized the one key thing that would have made the movie for me. The thing that never gets sold is the idea that Tiana even wants Naveen or a romantic life. The way she falls for him feels so forced. If only we'd had a tiny little scene of her dancing, standing on her daddy's toes when she was a little girl... If only we'd seen her, once when she was little, dreaming of a family of her own... If we'd had the sense that it was something she once wanted, but gave up that dream to pursue the restaurant, especially after her father's death, every single thing about the movie would be more powerful. The idea of having two competing dreams and trying to balance them is one that seems to be simmering in the pot throughout this movie, but it never quite gets ready to serve. That's the "two shots of Tabasco" that Sawyer has that Tiana is missing. Dancing is something she wants to do and not doing it is what makes her so uptight. Tiana just seemed too rigid to me for too long. Having that dancing scene and lightening up on her distaste for romance as a little girl would have really melted some of that ice and better conveyed what she lost when her father died.

This one little scene would've made her father stay with us much longer, and her memory of this (and not just his hard work) would have been so powerful in the "temptation" scene with Dr Facilier. This tiny scene could have given way to a look of memory and recognition in her eye when she was dancing with Naveen as a frog and it would have helped me see Tiana in that froggy body for the rest of the film. (Is it just me or was it easier to still see Naveen in the frog than Tiana? Perhaps because he's a more charismatic character...or maybe just because he got to keep his teeth - whassup with that, anyway?)

Finally, it would've made me happy that she was falling in love with Naveen. It would've felt like what she had forgotten that she wanted and not so forced. Instead, we spent time making sure that Charlotte was set up as the "wannabe" princess with the bigger dress and more romantic dreams. The opening scene established Tiana as hating romance from such an early age that I honestly found it hard to warm up to her, and also the fact that although Tiana's mother is an incredible seamstress, Tiana's princess dress is borrowed from Lottie.

I get the jazzy setting now, and the upbeat childish guy (Naveen even looks - and moves - a lot like Danny) with the stick-in-the-mud girl. But I just don't understand how some of these other choices were made. There are such obvious better ways to do things. Besides the fact that we're dealing with professional filmmakers, after seeing Cats Don't Dance, I find it very difficult to imagine they didn't also have this very charming template.

And on that note, does this crybaby alligator from Cats Don't Dance remind anyone else of Louis? See what I mean about Danny/Naveen?

Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 03-22-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: *To be fair, I forgot about, "She's my Evangeline...Warts and all." Third viewing's a charm, I guess. I watched it again and bought the relationship, though the film still feels weak.

• Minion

umm i loved this movie. found the story to be inspiring to a sense. that hard work in the long run pays off but love is the glue of life. i didnt care about the "race issues" because i am a man that looks at sterotypes as a way of life. if people dont want that portrayed dont act like that. i look past colors and see forms of people .

for the movie i found the villian wonderful, he had a purpose he had no fear and seemed impossible to touch and in the end could only be defeated by a greater evil. i loved that their was emotion and belief in the shinning star concept and that the character to me that had the most emotion was a fire fly and only disney can do that. i though that the visuals were wonderful that the colors popped and that at some points hard to imagine this was 2d.

the princess was classic disney a strong female that represented a women working hard for everything she never had to only get it in the end....the classic disney way with a kiss. it also showed that the crowning moment was not that of becoming a princess but that of owning something much more. the prince to me had more depth and character then other princes besides simba.

the biggest problem i had was that it was short would have loved to have more length but dont think it suffered much. i wish people would view children movies through eyes of children and not compare past and present. its a new movie its has a great story and the visuals seem stunning. enjoy it.

as for those that see black princess and white princess and the color of peoples skin should be ashamed. if anything disney has taught us that its the heart of a person not the outside. afterall Mickey is black.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• Minion

I haven't seen it again yet, but I still sincerely liked it overall, despite my own various critiques (which I have on most movies).

It's made abundantly clear that Naveen is done with other women, without spelling it out in dialogue like some kind of moral. For example, look at his face
    Spoiler
    when he has to kiss Charlotte.

I feel that it wasn't supposed to be "The Black Princess Movie" - which seems to be what a lot of people expected - it was a movie about American multiculturalism. The gumbo (a mix of many different ingredients) and the jazz (a music derived from many cultural influences) were both part of that overarching metaphor. I think some people may have missed that amidst the historic-ness and hype of "the first black princess."

My personal conspiracy theory is that Home on the Range was intended to kill off the hand-drawn animated feature. Now that film was so bad, it had to be on purpose. However, I also have another conspiracy theory that hand-drawn might have been killed off on purpose to make us miss it, and then bring it back, sort of a New Coke returning to Coca-Cola Classic type thing.

Since the last discussion, I also thought of a big metaphor for what's happening at Disney right now.

John Lasseter is Jack Skellington.

Now bear with me...

Lasseter is the king of Pixarland and he's great at what he does, but now he's swinging over and trying to do traditional Disney, too. (with Walt Disney as "Santa" in this metaphor.) He's never done a traditional Disney fairy tale. When he was there in the 80's (correct me if I have the timeline wrong here) I don't think Disney was even doing traditional Disney fairy tales.

Now, what Pixar does is a lot more similar to traditional Disney than Jack's Halloween was to Christmas, so it's more like...the Easter Bunny trying to do Christmas. But still, there's a difference.

(Also, Coprorate Disney can play the role of Oogie Boogie, rolling the dice to determine what the audience is going to like next.)

The message in PatF that success means nothing if you don't have loved ones to share it with is the exact same message as in Cars, which is supposed to be based on something Lasseter's wife told him about missing their children grow up.

BTW, how is it doing in DVD sales? Any better than the box office?
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 03-31-2010 at 02:25 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    However, I also have another conspiracy theory that hand-drawn might have been killed off on purpose to make us miss it, and then bring it back, sort of a New Coke returning to Coca-Cola Classic type thing.

BTW, how is it doing in DVD sales? Any better than the box office?
    So you're going with "let's lose alot of revenue on purpose, damage our brand and then wait it out for years and attempt to reintroduce it"?

Top 20 Sellers for the Week Ended 3/21/10

1 New Moon/Summit Entertainment weeks on chart: 1
    Street Date: 3/20
    domestic boxoffice: $296.60
    Blu-ray share for title: 17%

2 The Princess and the Frog/Disney weeks on chart: 1
    Street Date: 3/16
    domestic boxoffice: $104.28
    Blu-ray share for title: 22%

domestic box office $104, 374, 107
    international box office: $150+ million

retail:

11/18/09 - Since its launch just a few weeks ago, retailers report that the merchandise has already begun out-selling other Disney Princess items by double digit percentages. More than 45,000 dolls have sold in less than a month with 17,000 selling last week alone. At one major retailer, The Princess and the Frog bedding has sold nearly triple the amount of regular Disney Princess bedding. At Disney Store locations nationwide and DisneyStore.com, the Princess Tiana role-play dresses are selling above all other Disney Princess characters.
    As Disney's newest Disney Princess character, Tiana will forever be celebrated and recognized as a Disney Princess across all divisions of The Walt Disney Company and will be included in all Disney Princess merchandise programs featuring multiple Disney Princess characters starting this July.
    http://micechat.com/forums/news/1109...s-frog-27.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

I have no idea how anybody can take issue with this movie. It's fantastic, and easily the best film from WDAS since Tarzan.

• Hukuna Matata!

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I still have no desire to watch it. The accent in the previews makes me cringe. I can't imagine sitting through a whole movie listening to that.
    Ditto

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I bought it on DVD last week at Target and I finally watched it yesterday. I admit that I didn't give it my undivided attention, but I saw enough to know that I have seen better animated films. So for $13.99, I got my money's worth, since I'll probably watch it again, without distractions, and then I can pass it along to other family members.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast