• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Questions about Where The Wild Things Are Movie (Contains unmarked movie spoilers)

Okay, I saw the Theater version and the DVD version. I could have sworn that when Carol ripped the chickens arm off, blood squirted out. But in the DVD sand poured out. Maybe I am just thinking of something else or am I right in the observation? I bet if I am right, they edited the blood to sand due to the complaints that scene got when it was in theaters.

Also, is this story suppost to take places in just one night? Or is the kid really away for several days? It doesn't make clear where reality ends and the boys imagination begins in my opinion. Because maybe in the boys imagination he was on the island for days where in reality he might have been away from home for only an hour or two. Because he does come back home after they had all finished eating dinner. Plus the book's story takes place all on the same night.

I'm just curious to know what you all think.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Re: Questions about Where The Wild Things Are Movie (Contains unmarked movie spoilers

I don't remember blood squirting out. I didn't like that scene though. I thought it was weird and I know the point of it, but I felt like he ripped the arm and there wasn't enough... for lack of a better work, consequence afterwards. In the little boy's mind it takes place over days and weeks, I think in the book it's the same way, but he gets home within the hour.

• keh!

Re: Questions about Where The Wild Things Are Movie (Contains unmarked movie spoilers

it was sand, i never saw any blood in the theater. and as far as the imagination world, i believe in max's mind it takes place over a few days, but in the real world it appeared to be just over an hour. for me it seems that the imagination begins when he starts sailing and ends when he gets to shore.

• would love some pie

The reason the time span of his journey isn't defined in the real world is to show the blurring between reality and imagination. The whole film is from Max's perspective, and I don't think that when he returns he would really be like, "Oh that only took an hour!" And as a child, you can imagine the passing of time as you wish, so you can imagine multiple days in the span of what is actually an hour.
    KABLAM!

• Banned User

One movie critic described Where The Wild Things Are as being like "group therapy with the Muppets" and I think that critic was right.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Question Re: Questions about Where The Wild Things Are Movie (Contains unmarked movie spoilers

I liked the movie, but I had two big questions, too:

1) Why make the mom drinking with a "boyfriend" and ignoring her son, apparently prioritizing her date?

I always identified with this book because as the only child of a single mother, I felt like it captured a bit of that bond.

The next one is completely inexplicable and nearly unforgivable...

2) Why have Max run away from home instead of filming the most visually impressive moment of the book - the transformation of the room into the forest?

Other than these two points, I thought it was a worthy experiment. Even the addition of Claire and her friends really worked for this particular story, I thought. I generally love Spike Jonze, and I thoroughly love the soundtrack. These two points were very distracting, though.

Also: I totally agree with knittingknerd. Especially with the darker tone, it sends a strange message to the mind of a young person likely to really identify with this film to have no consequences for that arm. This stuck out to me, too. I liked that it didn't just grow back or not matter, but I thought it needed something more by way of resolution. The stick was provocative, though.