• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Brad Bird to accept 'Mission Impossible 4'...

As the search for a "Mission: Impossible IV" director intensifies, a surprising contender has emerged: Brad Bird.

Finding a director has been a top priority for star Tom Cruise, who reprises his role as secret agent Ethan Hunt and is producing with J.J. Abrams. Paramount set a May 27, 2011, release date for the movie and is eyeing a summer start. A tentpole of this magnitude needs a lot of prep time to iron out things such as massive set pieces and worldwide locations.

Cruise and Abrams have been meeting with helmers new and old, including "Zombieland" director Ruben Fleischer and Edgar Wright, who has "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" coming out this summer.

On the surface, Bird may seem a peculiar choice. The writer-director wrote and directed 1999's "The Iron Giant" and 2004's "The Incredibles" as well as 2007's "Ratatouille" (the latter two earned Oscars for best animated picture), but he has never helmed a live-action feature.

On the other hand, nabbing Bird would be inspired. He is praised for his storytelling skills and is known for his strengths in staging thrilling and intricate action set-pieces as well as fusing the action with large dollops of heart and emotion.

Bird has been itching to make his live-action debut for a while and has long been developing "1906," set around the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. That project is set up at Warners and is rumored to be stalled because of budgetary reasons.

Bird would not be the first Pixar-ite to jump into live action. Andrew Stanton, who directed "Finding Nemo" and "WALL-E" is in London shooting "John Carter of Mars," a big-screen translation of the Edgar Rice Burroughs hero.

If Bird does end up directing "MI4," however, he would beat Stanton to the big-screen, as "Carter" has a 2012 release date.

The fourth installment of the moneymaking "Mission" franchise, based on the 1960s TV series, has been in the works for a while but gained traction in February when Cruise officially made it his next starring gig.

Plot details are being kept under a lid of secrecy, but Abrams worked on the story with scribes Andre Nemec and Josh Appelbaum, who have written the screenplay.

The Hollywood Reporter | Heat Vision | Comics | Movie News:'Incredibles' helmer on 'Mission: Impossible IV' list (exclusive)

10/25/09
    http://micechat.com/forums/news/1260...ds-1906-a.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Brad Bird to accept 'Mission Impossible 4'...

Now, if only the film would star Mr. Incredible instead of Tom Cruise...

• Hukuna Matata!

I think the impossible mission might be getting anyone to watch it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

There have been THREE Mission Impossible movies?

or did they just skip to 3?

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    There have been THREE Mission Impossible movies?

or did they just skip to 3?
    There actually has been three. I knew they would come out with a fourth with the way the third one ended. So it was only a matter of time. Hopefully Ving Rhames is cast in this one as well. I like him, I miss him when he was playing Kojak. I think that only lasted a few seasons.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Quote Originally Posted by Joshnyah View Post
    I think the impossible mission might be getting anyone to watch it.
    Have to agree. Nothing against Brad Bird though. He's the bomb!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Shablagoo!

I would rather they get Bird to direct his 1906 San Francisco Earthquake film or a Marvel comics movie, like the Avengers.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    I would rather they get Bird to direct his 1906 San Francisco Earthquake film or a Marvel comics movie, like the Avengers.
    He'd prefer the former of the two as well, see his comments to me at: http://micechat.com/forums/news/1260...ds-1906-a.html

Since '1906' is still stuck in budget limbo it could be a terrific move on his part to make a movie like this. Re-work the script, shoot the hell out of it (make both Cruise and J.J. Abrams look good), cash in some big worldwide box office and come out of it a full-blown live action director ready to take on his own epic.

Maybe his version could have Ethan Hunt finally taking down that criminal mastermind, Bomb Voyage.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 04-10-2010 at 09:10 AM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Insiders tell Vulture that Pixar mainstay Brad Bird (Ratatouille, The Incredibles) has overtaken the competition to direct Tom Cruise in Mission: Impossible IV, and is now in negotiations with Paramount Pictures to do the film.

A source close to the deal says that the talks hinge on Bird's mammoth quote: animation projects can take three years of work, and therefore the directors get paid much more, and considering Bird's last two films both won Oscars, his normal paycheck is even bigger yet. However, shooting and posting even a big-budget, CGI live-action film takes only a year or so. (In fact, this one can't take any longer; the studio has it slated to open May 27, 2011.) Therefore, Paramount is hoping Bird will reduce his price accordingly.

Speaking of big-shot directors, executive producer J.J. Abrams, who directed M:I3, helped craft the M:I4 story. The screenplay was ultimately written by Andre Nemec and Josh Appelbaum (ABC's Life on Mars, Happy Town). We hear it involves spies.
    Vulture Exclusive: Brad Bird in Negotiations to Direct Mission: Impossible IV -- Vulture

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I personally think it would be kind of cool if he did this. Brad Bird's "The Incredibles" really gave a sense of action, and if he could handle a project like that, then I don't really see why he can't handle "M:I-4."

Personally, I liked the third one, but I didn't really think it was going to have a fourth one, considering it only made $133 million in the US itself.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    Personally, I liked the third one, but I didn't really think it was going to have a fourth one, considering it only made $133 million in the US itself.
    If Paramount was only making movies for the U.S. they would've been out of business years ago. Global franchises sustain modern studios.

The J.J. Abrams-directed 'M:I3' made over $397 million worldwide* leaving that door wide open, not including DVD & cable sales.

The fact that he followed it up with 'Star Trek's $385+ million worldwide box office probably didn't hurt his production company on the Paramount lot at all either.

*Box Office Mojo