Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Movie Theatres raising prices - especially on 3D movies

higher-prices-make-box-office-debut: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Major U.S. movie-theater chains, seeking to accelerate the surge in revenues fueled by such 3-D hits as "Avatar" and "Alice in Wonderland," are imposing some of the steepest increases in ticket prices in at least a decade.

The new prices take effect Friday in many markets across the country in theaters owned by such major exhibitors as Regal Entertainment Group, Cinemark Holdings Inc. and AMC Entertainment Inc.

The increases, in one case as much as 26%, vary from theater to theater, but many cinemas are raising prices most—or even solely—for 3-D showings, which accounted for the vast majority of last year's 10% jump in domestic box-office sales. 3-D movies generated 11% of domestic ticket sales in 2009, up from just 2% in 2008.

At an AMC theater in Danvers, Mass., a Boston suburb, 3-D ticket prices are jumping more than 20% to $17.50 from $14.50, while the adult admission price for a conventional film will remain at $10.50. At one Seattle multiplex, adult admission is rising to $11 from $10 for a conventional film, to $15 from $13.50 for a regular 3-D showing and to $17 from $15 for Imax 3-D.

A 3-D Imax movie at New York City's AMC Loews Kips Bay will cost $19.50, up from $16.50.

The increases weren't announced by the theater operators, but were reflected in prices posted Wednesday on movie-ticketing Web sites, such as Fandango.com.

AMC and Cinemark declined to comment. Comment from Regal wasn't immediately available.
    Sigh ... They really are driving people to wait to watch movies at home aren't they.

• Disneyland PAP

Re: Movie Theatres raising prices - especially on 3D movies

I was talking about this news with friends last night. I only go to movie theatres about 5 or 6 times a year on average, for the "event" or tentpole pix like Avatar and The Dark Knight. And since they're the biggies, my friends and I always splurge on The Bridge Cinema to see 'em in IMAX or in their Director's Hall which are both premium seating venues with assigned seating. So in my case, I'm already used to the premium costs, plus I don't feel I go often anyway. For the rest of the year, my Blu-ray player gets LOTS of use at home.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I just heard this on the radio this morning. For me to see a regular movie (never mind 3D) the ticket will cost me $14. For one ticket! To go with my husband and 2 kids it will cost me $56 - never mind popcorn and soda prices. Absolutely ridiculous!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Hukuna Matata!

Its going to lead to more bootleggers. I'm getting sick of the ridiculous prices.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

We've got a 52" HDTV and a blu-ray player...and cable (blah) plus the internet.

We hardly ever go to the movies anymore, only if it's something we're tremendously eager to see. I can buy and keep a blu-ray for only slightly more than the price of one ticket, and that's the way I prefer to go.

Honestly, there isn't too much at the theaters I'm eager to see, and with all the 3D remakes of movies that were crappy the first time around...I'll be a stranger at the theater.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I only see a movie in 3D if it absolutely needs it. Movies like Clash of the Titans... I prefer not.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Circle of Ancients

^ Same. Out of our 4 person family, 2 of us get really bad headaches during 3D movies, so if there is a 2D alternative, we are seeing that anyway.

Honestly, we probably go to the movies about once a month, but I can see this going down and only seeing "event" type movies. What this is going to hurt is regular comedy/action type movies which we will wait for Blu-Ray now. Heck, I think the only movie we have seen in the theatre this year is Alice, and other next month it will probably be Clash of the Titans followed by Iron Man 2.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Pay your rent...see a movie.

The choice is almost like the one for seeing a live sporting event any more.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Even though I just recently got a Blu-ray player, bought a plasma TV and in the process of remodeling my entertainment center, I still prefer to see movies at the theater. Since I'm not a fan of 3D anyway, that just gives me more reason not to see things in 3D. I think I'll only see something that way if I think the movie really calls for it, otherwise it will be 2D for me.

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, I only like 3D movies at the theater that I know will make it worth my money. I really enjoyed Alice in Wonderland in 3D. And Legend of the Guardians looks good. Is Tron- Legacy going to be in 3D? I can't wait for Iron Man 2.

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    higher-prices-make-box-office-debut: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Sigh ... They really are driving people to wait to watch movies at home aren't they.

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    We've got a 52" HDTV and a blu-ray player...and cable (blah) plus the internet.

We hardly ever go to the movies anymore, only if it's something we're tremendously eager to see. I can buy and keep a blu-ray for only slightly more than the price of one ticket, and that's the way I prefer to go.

Honestly, there isn't too much at the theaters I'm eager to see, and with all the 3D remakes of movies that were crappy the first time around...I'll be a stranger at the theater.
    Yep, I can count on one hand how many films I've see in the theater in the last 3 years. It's rare. It's usually Disney or an epic film, or special occasion. I have a nice home theater set up waiting is not so bad at all.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Man oh man. that is not the way to get people to go to the movies!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Haunted Mansion Holiday

Luckily, the Cinemark down here is relatively cheap. It's about $6.75 for a regular, before 6 PM ticket and $9.25 for a 3D movie before 6. After, it's raised to $9.00-10.50

• no flash photography...

Awe, they can raise them all they want. I rarely go to the movie theater to watch movies. I enjoy the real theater so much more.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    Is Tron- Legacy going to be in 3D?
    Yup, Tron Legacy is in 3D, and I think it's also in IMAX 3D as well.

I wonder if this price increase is happening in Canada as well. We have another thing coming here in BC in June and that's the HST (combined GST and PST on everything [12% tax ]) - I guess we have to pay for the Olympics somehow.

I feel sorry for the theater owners. At $13 for a large popcorn and pop combo (here in BC), no one will be buying snacks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast