• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Henry Selick returns to Disney with new deal

Animation fans get happy – Henry Selick is going back to Disney.

The man who last made the Oscar-nominated Coraline at the indie company Laika got his start at the Mouse House, where he shared offices in the late ‘70s with the likes of John Lasseter and Brad Bird.

He got his first crack at directing for the company too, with the landmark Nightmare Before Christmas, which continues to earn a tidy profit for Mickey. But then came James And The Giant Peach, which didn’t do so well and saw Disney shut down the stop-motion department.

"I'll quote Dick Cook right after James And The Giant Peach was finished. He said, 'We don't believe this is a viable medium anymore, and we're not going to do it'," Selick tells Variety. "A few years later they shut down 2D. It's great that both of those things are back."

And how - Lasseter has tempted him to come back with the promise of creative freedom and his own setup close enough to Pixar that he’ll be able to get the feedback of the company’s “brain trust” (including the likes of Bird, Andrew Stanton and Pete Docter) but still able to do his own work and keep animating in stop motion.

Anything that lets Selick be Selick – and keeps him producing work like Nightmare and Coraline – is surely A Good Thing.
    Henry Selick Signs Disney Deal

10/6/09
    http://micechat.com/forums/news/1250...ves-laika.html

• Banned User

Re: Henry Selick returns to Disney with new deal

Hmmmm...not sure what to make of this. Coraline was a dreary time-waster, and James and the Giant Peach was nearly unwatchable. And as I understand it, both were box office disappointments. What's Lasseter hoping to gain from this?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    Hmmmm...not sure what to make of this. Coraline was a dreary time-waster, and James and the Giant Peach was nearly unwatchable. And as I understand it, both were box office disappointments. What's Lasseter hoping to gain from this?

Wow, nothing pleases you does it?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Shablagoo!

Coraline was not a flop. It's production costs were about $60 million. It's worldwide box office was over $124 million. That does not include home video sales or merchandise. Also it got an Academy Award nomination for best Animated Picture. So it was a creative and financial success. Disney made a great decision bringing Selick into the fold.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=coraline.htm

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2009/CORLN.php
    Last edited by Melonballer; 04-02-2010 at 01:43 PM.

• Fortuosity!

Coraline has sold 2.5 million copies on DVD so far (Movie Coraline - DVD Sales - The Numbers) which may not include other legally purchasable video formats along with it's box office total.

I'm sure with a larger marketing push from Disney Selick's films could make even more money.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    Coraline was not a flop. It's production costs were about $60 million. It's worldwide box office was over $124 million. That does not include home video sales or merchandise. Also it got an Academy Award nomination for best Animated Picture. So it was a creative and financial success. Disney made a great decision bringing Selick into the fold.

Coraline (2009) - Box Office Mojo

Movie Coraline - Box Office Data, News, Cast Information - The Numbers
    Yeah. Usually the rule of thumb in Hollywood is that a movie has to make at least twice its budget just to break even. So that leaves Coraline with a 4 million profit? How much was its advertising budget?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    Yeah. Usually the rule of thumb in Hollywood is that a movie has to make at least twice its budget just to break even. So that leaves Coraline with a 4 million profit? How much was its advertising budget?

It has probably already made much more money back by now with dvd sales and merchandise licensing. The toys are a pretty big hit as they just released a prop replica of the Coraline doll that is pretty popular. And it was nominated for Best Animated Feature and loved by majority of the critics.

So let's see.. it won critical acclaim AND made more than double its budget in earnings. It has a successful toy line (sold in specialty stores) and was nominated for an academy award.

What more do you want?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Shopping With You

I'm really excited about this.

I've heard mixed things elsewhere...is he going to be doing stop motion or now doing Pixar CG stuff? While I'd like to see what he does with CG, Selick is my favorite stop motion director around.

This could definitely make for some cool stuff. Looking forward to seeing what he does.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bungle View Post
    I've heard mixed things elsewhere...is he going to be doing stop motion or now doing Pixar CG stuff?
    Lasseter is bringing him back to the studio to do what he does best, with the benefit of the Pixar brain trust (sorta like Brad Bird):

"Selick...signed an exclusive long-term deal with Disney to create stop-motion animated films for the studio. Variety reports that Selick plans to move to the Bay Area and plans to write and direct films based on original ideas and literary properties."
    Henry Selick Signs Long-Term Deal to Make Stop-Motion Movies for Disney - Collider.com
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Shopping With You

Okay, this is awesome news then!