View Poll Results: You Rate Chicken Little (if you saw it) - Multiple choices allowed

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Star

4 11.11%
  • 2 Stars

9 25.00%
  • 3 Stars

9 25.00%
  • 4 Stars

11 30.56%
  • (see it only in 3D)

13 36.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

• Minion

Thumbs down Chicken Little reviews are rolling in...

And they aren't very positive...

Quote Originally Posted by Cinemablend.com
    Iím not saying that Chicken Little isnít a decent enough family movie. But itís not much more than decent either. This is another middle of the road Disney flick. Thereís no revitalization for Disneyís animation domination hidden here. You wonít find an instant classic. This isnít The Little Mermaid. Thatís not good news for a studio trying to launch a new animation division based on this movie, not enough for a company like Disney that once had a stranglehold on the entire animation genre. Will they go forward from here? Unless they can get back Pixar, they donít seem to have any choice. The question is, how much longer can Disney keep on cranking out barely adequate movies before we all wise up? CGI or traditional animation, it makes no difference. The problem with Disneyís modern movies is the stories, not the methods they use to bring them to life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Variety.com
    Unprepossessing pic feels secondhand in all respects: It spins off a tiresomely familiar fairy tale, takes place in the sort of idealized small town that's long since come to feel shopworn, references pop culture touchstones as laboriously as did "Shark Tale," spotlights a father-son dynamic that blandly echoes that of "Finding Nemo," is upfrontupfront in poaching from "War of the Worlds" for its dramatic climax and comes in a distant second to "Jimmy Neutron" in the coolness of its outer space gizmos and creatures. In short, "Chicken Little" looks recycled inside and out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant Magazine
    A better name for Chicken Little might have been My First Spielberg Movie given how this mostly innocuous computer-animated contraption takes the childlike but mature feelings of E.T. and War of the Worlds and repackages them as childish sitcom tosh. The story's best gag even references Raiders of the Lost Ark: Chicken Little (Zach Braff) cries wolf about the sky falling and the ensuing chaos features a massive ball-shaped object pummeling though a movie theater at precisely the moment Harrison Ford's Indy is trying to dodge the Spielberg film's iconic giant boulder. Indeed, there's a stifling sense of movieness to Chicken Little, from the pop cultural references to its closing satirical jab at films-by-committee, which completely misses given that the Hollywood fiction made out of its eponymous character's experience is really no more bloated than the real deal.
    Quick, every Disney fan join me with a loud "I TOLD YOU SO!"

Rotten Tomatoes.com has Chicken Little with a 50% freshness (thumbs up) percentage. 6 reviews are in, 3 are bad, 3 are average. Most say that the film is merely a mediocre family movie, the rest say that Disney needs to hurry up and make friends with Pixar...

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Re: Chicken Little reviews are rolling in...

I still say from what I see it looks good, and that I'll see it.

The only critic I've come to trust is Roger Ebert, and I haven't heard from him yet.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Still wants to be a cat!

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!

Actually haven't seen it so can't judge yet...will let you know.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Reaver of Souls

One word: yawn...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Hiding from the Sheeple

My wife and I attended the premiere on Sunday. First thought, visually, Disney has finally made something decent. The picture looks wonderful and the 3-D was truly amazing. Sadly, Disney has not learned to write a decent film. Although they may match Pixar in visual effects, the story is horrible. This movie is not a chicken, but a turkey! I hope that with Eisner gone, Iger warms up to Pixar and makes a deal. Despite what Disney's ego keeps telling them, they NEED Pixar! Too many of the suits in Feature Animation are confused at what makes a great picture. Although Dick Cook is a great person on a personal level, I can no longer respect his judgment when it comes to these films.

•   
    • Minion

I actually parused the clips on the website... and I must say what I saw was not very impressive... The story just is just not interesting...

It is character driven, which was a given... We are going to be force fed "Chicken" for the next couple of months...

But who really wants to see these barnyard types playing out school yard comedy that isn't really all that funny? I mean really? All I need to do is turn on the tube... I can think of a hundred thousand better stories for kids that have way more imagination...

If you want to know what I am talking about, go to the webside and view the "dodge ball" segment... Ugh... Of course this is supposed to be one of the better segments of the movie...

(I am sorry to do this, but it is like saying "Hey this milk smells bad, take a sniff..." But don't say you wheren't warned...)
    Check out my other blog:

• e komo mai

A good way to keep an eye on reviews is on rottentomatoes.com.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/chicken_little/

So far, only 7 reviews...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Somehow this one was missed...
    Chicken Little By Michael Rechtshaffen The Hollywood Reporter
    Bottom line: It's poultry in motion.

Making a convincing case for the possibility of life after Pixar, Disney's technically ambitious "Chicken Little" -- the studio's first fully computer-animated in-house feature -- is a consistently amusing, often inspired family romp.

While some half-hatched plotting prevents it from approaching the sublime levels of a "Toy Story" or "The Incredibles," the picture zips along quite agreeably with a zany energy and vividly rendered, terrifically voiced, madcap characters.

Factor in the added attraction of 3D presentations in select theaters (though the venue used for this preview screening wasn't one of them) along with savvy marketing and merchandising, and Disney's gamble should find itself with boxoffice returns that ain't chicken feed.

Director Mark Dindal ("The Emperor's New Groove") and credited screenwriters Steve Bencich & Ron J. Friedman ("Brother Bear") and Ron Anderson have taken the time-honored chicken-who-cried-wolf fable and have given it a satirical "War of the Worlds" spin.

A year has passed since that "unfortunate acorn incident," but Chicken Little (effectively voiced by Zach Braff) is still paying the price for sending the citizens of Oakey Oaks into a panic when he mistakenly proclaimed that the sky was falling.

The town laughingstock, he bides his time with the equally unpopular Abby Mallard, aka Ugly Duckling (Joan Cusack); the extremely porcine, disco-loving Runt of the Litter (Steve Zahn); and the diver's helmet-wearing Fish Out of Water (gurgles provided by editor Dan Molina) while anxiously awaiting a shot at redemption.

It finally arrives when he joins the local baseball team and miraculously scores the winning run. But just when Chicken Little finally wins the respect of his deeply ashamed, widowed father, Buck Cluck (a perfectly cast Garry Marshall), the sky really does begin to fall when Oakey Oaks becomes the target of what appears to be a diabolical alien invasion.

Aside from keeping that persistent Disney dead mother syndrome alive, Dindal, who shares story credit with Mark Kennedy, exhibits a strong flair for lively, quirky characterizations.

Unfortunately, the storytelling's not as strong, especially once those aliens arrive, and while there's no shortage of wacky humor (there's always something clever going on in the background), what "Chicken Little" ultimately lacks is that satisfying, lump-in-the-throat, gentle emotional tug to go along with all the craziness.

But the voice cast, which also includes Don Knotts as Mayor Turkey Lurkey, Amy Sedaris as the bullying Foxy Loxy, Fred Willard and Catherine O'Hara as an alien dad and mom and Harry Shearer as a play-by-play canine commentator, is uniformly robust and right on the comedic money.

Although some last-minute tinkering by Industrial Light & Magic prevented the film from being assessed in the Disney Digital 3D process, the characters and backgrounds have a brightly stylized, fully dimensional quality on their own.

Composer John Debney's bouncy score is supplemented "Shrek"-style by a mix of vintage pop (Five for Fighting covering Art Garfunkel's "All I Know") and originals (Barenaked Ladies' spirited "One Little Slip").

The film is dedicated to the memory of beloved Disney animator Joe Grant, who broke some ground of his own working on "Fantasia," and who died this year just shy of his 97th birthday.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    Somehow this one was missed...
    Chicken Little By Michael Rechtshaffen The Hollywood Reporter
    Bottom line: It's poultry in motion...
    This review is on RottenTomatoes.com

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

^Thanks, threw it on in the interest of balance.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   
    • Minion

Well, I wouldn't call it a good review, it is more of a mixed review...

"While some half-hatched plotting prevents it from approaching the sublime levels of a "Toy Story" or "The Incredibles," the picture zips along quite agreeably with a zany energy and vividly rendered, terrifically voiced, madcap characters."

That is exactly what my analysis is of the picture from both the trailers and the clips... It is character driven, but the plot is lacking anything interesting outside a falling sky...

The films only interest is the "Ballyhoo" of 3D Digital Projection... If I see this film, it will likely to see it in 3D because I am curious about the process and if this LucasFilm ILM addition is worth the 10 buck experiance...

I really don't care for this movie...

It could be that Iger knows he has a stinker here and pressed for 3D to bolster movement in the Box Office...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

I think it's more important for Disney to hit a single with Chicken Little than to knock it out of the park. This non-Pixar computer animated film is a departure for Disney. If the animation division is going to reassert itself, it needs to walk before it runs. Don't forget, in the '80's there needed to be an Oliver and Company and Great Mouse Detective before there could be a Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.

The best thing for Chicken Little is to:
    A. Not suck and
    B. Make money

The early reviews are mixed enough that "A" will probably hold true. "B" is a given considering how much Disney is promoting the film. Opening weekend receipts should be huge. A lot of movie goers aren't going to distinguish a Disney/Pixar film from a Disney film anyway, so fans of The Incredibles, Toy Story and Monsters Inc. are already going to go.

Like most of you, I've seen clips from Chicken Little and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I plan on seeing it. I'm not expecting to be wowed like The Incredibles, but I fully expect to be entertained.

One other thought, Chicken Little is the last Disney animated feature that will have Michael Eisner's stamp all over it. If it's safe and fomulaic, that's not a surprise. Robert Iger is already establishing himself as more creative and a bit of a risk taker. I'm encouraged to see what's coming up after Chicken Little.

• Rock Star Minion

Meh. If money were no object, I'd probably take the family. Unfortunately, money is an object to us.

That Hollywood Reporter review is as bad as it's allowed to publish.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Bad Reviews: The sky is Falling, the Sky is falling!!!!!!

It's kind of scary when Lilo & Stitch is the new barometer of what a Disney animated feature should aspire to.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim
    I think it's more important for Disney to hit a single with Chicken Little than to knock it out of the park. This non-Pixar computer animated film is a departure for Disney. If the animation division is going to reassert itself, it needs to walk before it runs. Don't forget, in the '80's there needed to be an Oliver and Company and Great Mouse Detective before there could be a Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.
    I disagree... It needs to knock it out of the park in order to have any leverage on Pixar... This is what Wall Street is looking for... If it is anything less than that, you will see a negative impact on the DIS stock price, and probably a boost in Pixar...

I have posted several of the business articles in the news section regarding this...

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051030/3d_mo...back.html?.v=1

To quote the article:

Investors are looking for worldwide box office of around $350 million from "Chicken Little" according to David Miller, an analyst at brokerage firm Sanders Morris Harris.
    A single here means in needs to be on par with Dreamworks' "Matagascar" and make over $190 million at the box office.

Pixar's films double that figgure and make near of $400 million...

That is a lot of ducets....

None of the studio's last five feature animation films have sold more than $100 million in tickets domestically.
    And Disney cannot dominate Animation if it is on a Singles and Doubles track with Animated films...
    Last edited by cellarhound; 11-02-2005 at 09:12 AM.
    Check out my other blog:

Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast