Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: 30th Anniversary screening 'The Empire Strikes Back' w/ Harrison Ford

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    You're out of your flippin mind if you think I'm going to pay $100 for a movie I already own on VHS, DVD, don't have yet on Blu Ray, is 30 years old, was just in theaters 13 years ago for the special edition & is 90% more than a normal ticket of $10. So basically I'd be paying $90 just to see Harrison Ford in the flesh. Um... he's a human like anybody else. That's just flat out robbery, I don't care who the money is going to. They're lucky they have such die hard fans who are willing to pay that kind of money for something that ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Star Wars saga (including the prequels) but that isn't fair or right to their devoted fans.... with that said, I wish I could go lol

Boy, do you have a lot to learn about 100% proceeds goes to St. Jude Hospital. This screening isn't made for you for exactly the reason you posted. In fact, they could have gotten away with selling these for $200 each. That's pressing my financial limit but a lot of others would have gone in my place.

This thing sold out in less than a day. They could have easily made more money for the hospital.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    You're out of your flippin mind if you think I'm going to pay $100 for a movie I already own on VHS, DVD, don't have yet on Blu Ray, is 30 years old, was just in theaters 13 years ago for the special edition & is 90% more than a normal ticket of $10
    Welcome to the idea of 'exclusivity' and 'limited capacity'
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Did anybody else go? I thought it was fun. Bonus: Gift bag with Star Wars cookie cutter forms.

http://www.starwars.com/fans/events/...ing/index.html

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Did anybody else go? I thought it was fun. Bonus: Gift bag with Star Wars cookie cutter forms.

StarWars.com | Report from the 30th Anniversary Empire Screening

Odd I didn't see you, though there was a lot of us nerds there that it could be overwhelming!

The goody bag was something I expected. I read about an event in Chicago that George Lucas did a Q&A for and that was a $200 ticket! There was a goody bag for that one as well.

The goody bag included:
    -One random Star Wars Saga Collection Action Figure - I got Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi (episode 3 version) - value: $5-7

-Williams-Sonoma Star Wars Cookie Cutters - value $20

-Family Guy Something, Something, Something, Dark Side DVD - value: $15-20

-Star Wars Lego mini toy - value: ?? - i dunno, let's just say $5

-ESB novel by Donald F. Glut - value: $8

-Junkfood Empire Tee - value $25

That totals $80 right there. And it all comes in a Junk Food Canvas bag.

Then there was free popcorn and free fountain soda which we all know ain't cheap. Let's just say that amounts to $8.

Then the movie, which was a digital projection, super surround sound, awesome movie.... and at the Arclight, that's worth $15 alone.

We have now exceeded the $100 admission by $3. Then you get a Harrison Ford Q&A and all the other celeb sightings. For the many folks who got pictures with Harrison Ford and autographs, that's worth $100 on its own.

So even though I wasn't as lucky, $100 that went 100% to St. Jude's Hospital is a win win. I think everyone got more than they could have asked for. It was a great evening.

Some of my pictures

Hey, Harrison, look at me!

Peter Mayhew

Lucky autograph hounds!!!

This is an 11 year old girl seeing the movie for the first time. It's because of St. Jude's hospital and donations that she's even alive right now. She was predicted to have died within a month after birth... but she's still going thanks to all the research. It was a really touching moment to see her parents there for her and giving so much to keep her alive and healthy.

The other shocker... Harrison Ford actually watching the movie with the audience.

Q&A time. Reading the news story is a much better way to experience this Q&A in my opinion.

And that's all I got. Some friends of mine got pictures with Han Solo and Chewbacca, many others got Ewan McGregor... I sat nowhere near the action. I could have went up to Jon Favreau but felt lame about it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Disneyland PAP

^ Great photos and recap, Coheteboy! Thanks for bringing your camera with you.

After I posted this, I discovered today in fact is TESB's 30th birthday. Happy 30th, Empire!

I also found this recap from another Arclight attendee posted on the Blu-ray.com forum board.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/movies/1395...ml#post3290300
    Last edited by Gone2Disneyland; 05-21-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added link

• Hukuna Matata!

Cool pics its good to See Indy out and about.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing!

I don't look at events like this as having an intrinsic monetary value. Sure, the gift bag has a total value and if you got autographs they have some value. What you can't put a price on is the feeling of being there with some of the creative minds that made something you love, and the memories you'll have. It's like asking "Is Disneyland worth the price?" No one knows that but you, and that's the way it should be.

I do occasionally complain about the price of a D23 event, but they often seem to be priced high merely because they can, not because they are extra special events. And the proceeds certainly don't go to charity

• MC State Comptroller

Thanks for the great TR!!!! Great Pics and great report. Thanks for letting us Star Wars nerds live vicariously through you! Awesome!!
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Nice trip report. Thanks for the part about St. Jude's. I grimmaced when the Dad talked about how his daughter had been expected to die, right in front of the little girl. I guess she's familiar with the story but I was like "EEK!"

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Terrific trip report & photos CB!

These special events are far too grand and apparently complex for the fools that cannot grasp the concepts of charitable advantages or exceptional personal experiences.

I'm fortunate enough to have been introduced to Mr. Ford by a mutual acquintance at a premiere party years ago and to have run into him while entering ShoWest in Las vegas one year. Highly memorable moments indeed.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12