• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Magic of Mary Blair site launches

Jeanne Chamberlain and Maggie Richardson, the nieces of famed Disney artist Mary Blair, have launched the new website the Magic of Mary Blair Home

Richardson said, "My sister Jeanne and I grew up knowing and loving our Aunt Mary. We were often in awe of her sophistication but we loved being around her. She was incredibly kind and unexpectedly “fun” – her mere presence generated excitement.

Throughout her life, Mary continued to share her greatest gift with us – her talent; although as children we didn’t fully understand or appreciate it at the time. I remember, as a child, being disappointed at Christmas by receiving yet another “picture” by Aunt Mary instead of a doll or other toy. Jeanne remembers wondering why Aunt Mary always wrote her whole name on her pictures --- we certainly knew who she was! Those childhood gifts that we managed to save are, today, among our most precious treasures.

I don’t think Mary ever thought of herself as a 'pioneer' – she just wasn’t willing to give up her art for love or family… so she combined them all – and, in an era when women usually stayed at home or became teachers or nurses, she succeeded in a field dominated by men! She reveals her life philosophy and goal in a letter written to her husband, Lee Blair, shortly after their marriage in 1933:

"We are artists, dear, in love with art and each other. We must make these loves coincide and melt into a beautiful, happy and rich life --- that is our future….we’ll live to be happy and paint to express our happiness."

Mary’s life was not always easy but, through it all, she kept her promise and she never, never stopped painting – or caring. Mary has left a legacy of pure color, magic and dazzle for all of us to love and remember her by forever."

The site offers limited edition art and collectables, plus a gallery of Blair's work.
    Magic of Mary Blair Site Launches | AWN | Animation World Network

http://magicofmaryblair.com/home

• Minion

Re: Magic of Mary Blair site launches

For some reason, the site seems to skip over or ignore "It's A Small World".

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

There is a nice photo of the SW print at the WDFM shop on there
    Last edited by ALIASd; 04-23-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    There is a nice photo of the SM print at the WDFM shop on there
    Lovely site. Thanks for the link.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    For some reason, the site seems to skip over or ignore "It's A Small World".
    The nieces were not happy with the "It's a Small World changes.

• Refugee from a island

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    The nieces were not happy with the "It's a Small World changes.
    I had heard that too. I do wish they would go look a the additions before passing judgement though. I personally think the additions would have been okay with Mary as they don't (IMO) stand out or detract from the what she created.

That aside, Small World while probably the best known, is only a small piece of her work at Disney.

I recently got to see some of her concept art for Peter Pan at the WDFM. She was a very gift artist, and I found it incredible how she was able to tell really tell a story in a single piece of art.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Second Star View Post
    I had heard that too. I do wish they would go look a the additions before passing judgement though. I personally think the additions would have been okay with Mary as they don't (IMO) stand out or detract from the what she created.
    Agreed. The changes are relatively minor overall. The only section that does stand out is the new American West set near the end.

Small world is my favorite of hers. Love the styling. I would have loved to have seen some of her preliminary artwork included on the website.

• Refugee from a island

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Agreed. The changes are relatively minor overall. The only section that does stand out is the new American West set near the end.

Small world is my favorite of hers. Love the styling. I would have loved to have seen some of her preliminary artwork included on the website.
    After seeing her Peter Pan art up at the WDFM, I agree, it would be great to see her concept art for IASW. But, that art work is actually owned be the Disney company, so they would have to get permission to display it. If the family is at odds with Disney, that would explain the omission.

I do know that the WDFM (while not associated with Disney Corp) probably wouldn't exist without the company's cooperation. Most all of the artifacts are owned or copywritted to the company.