• oh bugger

Alice in Wonderland B&W

During the Mad Tea Party scene right after the white rabbit's watch is smashed by the Mad Hatter the entire screen goes to black in white. It is just for a second and most people don't even notice it the first time they see it. Now that I own the movie on DVD I can find it easily.

It is directly after the watch is smashed, close up of the mallet being removed from the smashed watch, it shows a spring bouncing in the mangled watch and then cuts to a different view. That entire shot is B&W, but I have no idea why??

Is it some kind of symbolic notion to smashing a watch and time in general, or just some strange mistake? I dunno. Do you?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Alice in Wonderland B&W

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52
    During the Mad Tea Party scene right after the white rabbit's watch is smashed by the Mad Hatter the entire screen goes to black in white. It is just for a second and most people don't even notice it the first time they see it. Now that I own the movie on DVD I can find it easily.

It is directly after the watch is smashed, close up of the mallet being removed from the smashed watch, it shows a spring bouncing in the mangled watch and then cuts to a different view. That entire shot is B&W, but I have no idea why??

Is it some kind of symbolic notion to smashing a watch and time in general, or just some strange mistake? I dunno. Do you?
    I bet it was just a mistake. Someone probably forgot to paint it or something.

• Huh?

That wasn't the first time they used that technique... it was much better done in Fantasia (when Mickey chops up the brooms).
    -Tim

• Drunk On Disney

There is a mention of it on THIS PAGE. They also have stills of the moment.

In the Mad Hatters tea party sequence, the Hatter and the Hare decide to 'mend' the White Rabbit's watch.
    After treating it with everything from butter to jam (not mustard of course - that would be silly!) the watch starts to fly around the table and the Hare swipes it with a large mallet. Just as the mallet hits, the colour fades from the scene.
    Why? many have speculated but nobody knows for sure. One theory is that bits of the original print went missing and all they could find was a black and white insert. However, it's a gradual fade across several frames - not a quick cut from colour to black and white - which perhaps indicates it was a deliberate "effect".
    Personally, I always felt it was to show "time stopping." Certainly they could have re-colored it by now if it was an accident.

This would be a good question for "Ask Dave" in the Disney Insider newsletter!

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• ...TWO BITS!

I always wondered about that...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Maybe Hare hit that durned watch sooooooo hard... it smashed the color right outta that film!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Disney Nazi

I hang my head in shame as Alice in Wonderland is my favourite Disney film and for the life of me i can't remember it at all. I will do many acts of penance.

I'm sooooooorrrrryyyyy.
    "Lies make baby Jesus cry!"