Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moulin Rouge

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Moulin Rouge

Am I the only person on the planet that thinks this movie sucked?

I couldn't stand the ending, I can't stand romance movies that end that way. Hated Romeo and Juliet, so you love each other and thats great but you can't be together.

I love romance novels, romanctic movies but this one just irked the hell out of me because she dies in the end.

However my boyfriend, yes you heard me, my boyfriend thinks the movie is awsome and watches it whenever he can. Yes, I already asked him if he was gay and he has proven on more than one occasion that he is not.

**SIDENOTE** No offense to anyone who is gay, I have many friends that are, I just meant that its kind of a girly type movie that a manly mans man wouldn't really be in to. Okay! So please don't bash me I meant no ill will. *HUGS*

So tell me what is so appealing about this film and what do you think about it? I would like to know.

• Gay Man

Re: Moulin Rouge

I am VERY picky about films - snobby even - and I loved this film. It was so campy and over the top. Plus, it had all of Parisian Art references that I enjoy so much. It's just a fun fun film.

• Huh?

Loved it...

Loved the music.

Loved the weirdness.

Loved the seizure-inducing editing.
    -Tim

• Happy Memories

I love Baz's style. I have the Red Curtain Trilogy box set (Strictly ballroom, Romeo and Juliet, Moulin Rouge). His use of music and his original style just mesmerize me.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Okay, let me edit it here. I did like the movie til the end, that's what blew it for me.

The songs were quirky and fun and full of life but unfortunately if the ending sucks for me, then it masks the rest of the film.

• e komo mai

"Like A Virgin" part. Way over the top. But the rest was pretty cool. I can't watch it any more because I've overdosed on it. But I thought the film was neat.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I did not like it. Liked the music, but not the movie
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Rock Star Minion

I liked it, and I consider myself a manly man. It's got Nicole in it. What more is required.
    There was music?
    (jk)

I know people that were put off by the anachronistic song selections. That's all it took for them not to like it. "It's early 1900's! They can't sing 'Like a Virgin'! They can't sing 'Your Song'! I'm out of here!"

I liked it because it was confusing at times. I liked it because it satired the current theater/movie "selling to producers before finished" environment. Not unlike "The Player" in that respect.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• /sigh

Sometimes a good love tragedy is better than any 'happy ending'. Come what may....
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

I actually know of two people who did not like this movie: me and my best friend--everyone else I know seems to love it. But I always felt this movie thought it was a lot smarter than it actually was. There was some film critic who said after watching Moulin Rouge, he felt like he had been shouted at for 2 hours. That's pretty much how I felt, and I loved Strictly Ballroom. It seemed like in Ballroom, Baz used that trademark frenzied (or whatever you want to call it) editing style in a more measured way. In MR, it was taken to such an extreme that it seemed like frenzy for the sake of frenzy.

• Circle of Ancients

You are definately not the only one.

We got through approximately 20 minutes. When they started singing "Smells like teen spirit" I was done.

• Minion

It was as nearly crappy as Romeo and Juliet, and I admire you for saying that you hated it.

• far, far away from DL

I liked it. Some of the songs are kinda weird but overall I thought it was good.

sabrina

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

The movie was to odd for me. Not a big fan of it though.

• Sex Panther made by Odeon

This movie just sucks, I love Nicole Kidman, but I hate this movie. Its to long and boring, doesnt have that feeling like you get when you a sniff a marker or 2, just kiddin,
    Laters Gators

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast