Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

The movie is now officially out. What do you all think?

My review to put it short and simple: The movie was original, but with some nice ties to the classic. Freddy was not too serious and not too funny. It evened out beautifully. The kills were nicely done, but for some reason I was just expecting more.

Jackie Earle Haley and Robert Englund both have the same, but different characteristics to make them both great!

• Crazy Furry

Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street

Let's see now,

Short and simple review= While Jackie Earle Haley did a nice job, everything else is just like any other Platinum Dunes remake...pathetic. While it had good ideas, it succumbs to pretty much any element that makes most newer horror films and remakes truly weak.

More detailed review *Contains spoilers*

Where to begin...Let's start off with Freddy.

To me Jackie Earle Haley did a nice job, he tried to be his own Freddy and not Robert Englund's Freddy.

As for all the teen's, well most of them would make it in Twillight with their woodeness. Not to mention it's chock full of overacting. (It's the most "serious" bunch of high school kids I've ever seen...as in they take everything too seriously.)

Storywise, to me there's good intentions but bad execution. There are two new elements that could have been great, however they're not used to their potential.

Spoiler
    1. The rumor on weather or not Freddy is a child molester.
    I applaud the writers for doing something like this, people have been rooting for Freddy to kill his victims...but with the notion that he's possibly a child molester, that can totally screw with the fans minds on weather or not to root for him. Unfortuntly though, they never drag it out and do a reveal near the end of the film. It's pretty much announced what he is shortly after the rumor is put out.

2. Powernaps. Pretty much people taking a quick nap without realizing it, and waking up with a jolt. This could have been prime oppurtunity to have Freddy really screw with everyone in various ways, however the film doesn't use it to potential.

Now what really kills the film is this, no character development, quick editing, a bunch of cheap jump scares with screeching music and bad cgi. Pretty much the things that make most new horror films and remakes suck.

The editing is just rediculous, the kills happen too fast with zero suspense at all so nothing is scary. None of the kills stick with you since if you blink you'll miss it.

The bad editing makes the throwbacks to the original film pathetic, while Tina's death in the original is very memorable...the throwback in the film happens so fast the audience I was in laughed, there's no moment in the kill to be in shock over.

As for the creepy stretch wall from the original film, it's done with CGI that's just bad. It's a bloody simple effect, and Platinum Dunes found a way to screw it up.

Also, the dream sequences are just ok. Most of the time it follows this pattern. Teen wakes in the dream world, goes down a hallway, see's Freddy *JUMP SCARE* and wakes up. Rinse and repeat over and over.

Once again, Platinum Dunes shows they really don't have a grasp on doing a remake right. While this one had good ideas, the execution of the film leaves a lot to be desired.
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

• www.JonAutopsy.com

Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

Saw a midnight showing of it and liked it a lot. It was exactly what I thought it would be which was putting a revamped and improved version of the original out there for the people who either have never seen the first one or who have and aren't scared by it because it's old.

I think that this new one is the groundworks for the already planned sequels and I am very much looking forward to them when they're released.

All in all, I was highly entertained and would definitely see it again.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

I actually enjoyed this remake. Very aggressive in scares which isnít good or bad. I liked how they made it serious as in the original but kept the comedic one liners that Freddy became famous for in the terrible sequels. The newish storyline is a blessing and a curse. I think it give Freddy more character and define his motivations. But, it also pin points the people he is specifically after which could hurt the series if they do choose to move forward with a sequel.

In no way do I hold the original in high regards. I think the horror films people rave about (NOES, Friday, Halloween, TCM) were all pretty much terrible horror film and continued to get worse with each sequel. But the original NOES film would be the strongest of the bunch but I never cared for Freddy Kruger. I never understood why the bad guy would be able to come back in a deadlier form and kill kids to get revenge on the parents. This remake makes his revenge on the kids without trying to throw his murder back at the parents face.

The biggest problems I had with the film was that in the first half of the movie Freddy had a terrible make-up job. By the second half, his face became more detailed with the hole.

AE_Fan.. Couple of things you mentioned. The short nightmares were kind of annoying because they were the first nightmares the kids had. The way I saw it, when someone has a "new" nightmare they are immediately unfamiliar with it. They continue on till they see something that scares them. Then they wake up. Next time they have a nightmare it became longer until they eventually died. As the movie continues their dreams become longer.

As I said before, the storyline is going to hurt the series. I canít see them making more than 2 sequels without making some lame excuse for Freddy to kill other kids. And in a weird way, I was disappointed the kids didnít have super powers... but I guess itís best for the new story to never mention it.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

It was okay, at best. I am one of the people who absolutely hates jump scares when they come in abundance. This movie is filled with them, that's ALL it is with an average of every 4 minutes. The only parts that got me even a little creeped out is the body bag scene (which I thought was done better in the original but I think it's just because the imagery is creepy either way) and the computer scene. Oh and *knock knock* AH! That made everyone laugh but I'm a huge fan of the original and of course I know this film isn't going to surpass it so I watched it with an open mind.

Like someone said before, it takes all of it's new and interesting opportunities and throws them out the window while some parts were actually pretty awesome. However, I have to agree that the teens were way too serious. It bugged the crap out of me. The Nancy in this film is the worst heroine to root for ever. She had no integrity as a person, nor sweet and nor was she weird enough to be interesting to want to watch. Shoot, they didn't even make her at least cute.

My biggest problem with the movie, aside from the constant jump scares that don't work on me anymore after seeing most horror movies, is the deaths in this film. None were creative at all, even compared to the original. They didn't even attempt to make them better, they just did whatever they could with Freddy's glove and didn't push the boundaries of imagination.

And then, the humanizing of Freddy, which I originally thought was a great idea, was executed poorly. And it was hilarious watching them poke around the idea without ever actually SAYING IT. It's a RATED R movie, we're all adults. Sure, you want to leave it to the imagination to make it worse but I felt like I was watching a PG-13 movie at times. They hardly cussed, I think I counted 4 F-bombs. And with the kills not being that graphic, I actually believe they tried to make the option for this to be rated PG-13 but due to fear of a fan backlash, stuck with making it R but it was such a light R.

And then the last 15 minutes of the movie felt so out of place, it had to be a reshoot so they could get Freddy to say some more one liners from the old films (including FvJ) and they were totally taken out of the element. It just didn't seem to mesh with the rest of the film.

However, it was shot pretty slick, Jackie did a moderate job, some of the ideas were inventive (just executed poorly) and it was entertaining for the most part. I'd give it a 5 out of 10. Half good, half bad.

It's just the bad parts were the things I actually weren't anticipating to be bad and I was just focusing on the improvements. All recreations of the original film just never worked and I was oddly the least worried about since I figured, "well you know, with TODAY'S technology." (Once again, Freddy in the wall, UGH) But no, I was wrong I actually would've been happy if they just stick with a scene by scene remake of the original and just added a few things but they went a new direction and pretty much didn't do enough to make it hold it's own without harking back to the original because the movie doesn't work as a stand alone film in today's modern horror.

And I actually LIKE remakes. Dawn of the Dead, TCM, The Ring, The Grudge, Amityville Horror; all great improvements upon the original. The only ones I absolutely can't stand is the Rob Zombie Halloween crap fests. But this I would say is my least favorite Platinum Dunes outing other than the Hitcher. I'd put it in this order:

TCM
    Amityville Horror
    Friday the 13th
    TCM: The Beginning
    The Unborn
    NOES
    The Hitcher

I say see it but I feel most fans will like the new stuff and hate the old stuff they tried improving on and the constant jump scares. I am, however, excited to see a sequel so they can start working with more imagination driven nightmares instead of just little girls in dresses. There's much more I can say but I don't want to make this too long and I've already been blabbing enough as is.

• ...is busy, please hold.

To all those disappointed, it's MICHEAL C***ING BAY.
    you were expecting something good?
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

• Minion

Short and simple.... alright. I thought Nightmare was great. Thought Jackie Earle Haley was awesome and really made the role of Freddy his own. But nobody will ever beats Robert Englund
    Follow me on Twitter for live updates & pictures from the park:

Michael Bay is a genius.
    Armageddon. 'Nuff said.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I thought it was just OK. Freddy's makeup looked cheesy to the point of being a distraction for me, I just didn't like it. Some of the dream sequences were pretty neat to look at (the snowy bedroom, the pharmacy aisles flickering into the boiler room, the way the classroom shattered around Nancy when she fell asleep) but overall it just felt flat to me. And kind of unneccessary.

We saw it Friday night, and last night we viewed the original (which Anders has somehow NEVER seen! ) and I was struck by how much better the original was. It had some truly frightening and haunting moments, the acting (while still pretty bad) was waaaaaaay better than in the remake. And Robert Englund just makes a better Freddy, IMO.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

I too felt the need to watch the original right after. A much better film. Hopefully for those who haven't seen it, this remake will make people seek it out.

• keh!

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    Michael Bay is a genius.
    Armageddon. 'Nuff said.
    wow. i am appalled... i've never heard such ludicrous lies... lol.

• Waiting Since 1992

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Autopsy View Post
    Saw a midnight showing of it and liked it a lot. It was exactly what I thought it would be which was putting a revamped and improved version of the original out there for the people who either have never seen the first one or who have and aren't scared by it because it's old.

I think that this new one is the groundworks for the already planned sequels and I am very much looking forward to them when they're released.

All in all, I was highly entertained and would definitely see it again.
    I am VERY excited to hear this! I am hearing mixed reviews....
    Did you like Rob Zombie's Halloween, though? Cuz then we might need to have it out, lol....

• Also cute and fluffy!

After the dreadful Halloween remake and Platinum Dunes takes on Friday the 13th, Amnityville Horror, and Texas Chainsaw I think I might wait until this shows up on blu ray and just rent it. I haven't really been impressed with any of their remakes so far and this just seemed like one that didn't need to be remade =/
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    Walt Disney

Thanks for everything, Walt!

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

Follow me on twitter! - pj_campbell

I had high hopes for this remake. Nightmare has such a good premise that's not used to it's full potential, still.

This "Nightmare":

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c98lf7n0-2k"]A Nightmare at Barrington High[/ame] was a lot better than the remakewas a lot better than the remake.
    Last edited by Director_Guy; 05-05-2010 at 09:48 AM. Reason: fixing link
    www.youtube.com/lundopictures

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

i really enjoyed the re-make, and contrary to just about everyone else i also thought they did a really good job with Freddy's appearance. in the classic NoES movies his face, despite being burned, is still fairly normally shaped...in this remake Freddy's face actually does resemble a burn victims face, with its lack of nose and such. i felt they did a really good job of capturing what Freddy would look like after actually being burned

i think my fave scene was when Nancy was running down the hallway and the floor turned into blood...for some reason that part just really struck me as a completly awesome visual
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast