Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• "Always On The Move..."

Re: The Last Airbender (July 2, 2010)

Talked to numerous friends who went and saw the midnight showings (various theaters). They are all fans of the original show (like myself). Apparently people booing the film and people walking out happened at the various theaters. I was sooo hoping this would be good. They rated it as "OMG, WORSE. film. EVER!"

I'm debating on going to see it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Circle of Ancients

Ugh, now I'm wondering if we should just skip it then. Maybe we'll go see TS3 instead. Sounds like even A-Team would be better.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    Talked to numerous friends who went and saw the midnight showings (various theaters). They are all fans of the original show (like myself). Apparently people booing the film and people walking out happened at the various theaters. I was sooo hoping this would be good. They rated it as "OMG, WORSE. film. EVER!"

I'm debating on going to see it now.
    Is it it really that bad? worse than Avatar?

• "I Break Things"

really really starting to hate Hollywood... the preview looked amazing. I was honesty looking forward to something like this... I am not a big "review" person but if so many hate it so much then chances are I'd agree.

Then again they liked Karate Kid which was about a kid learning Kung Fu in China (wow is the average public that ignorant of martial arts?)... and they hated 13th Warrior which is one of my favorites... so who knows.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

I saw it this morning.
    As a fan of the show, I enjoyed it.
    But, as a movie goer expecting to get a good movie, I was massively disappointed. I have been a fan of Shyamalan, but he really failed with this.
    The script writing is awful. The cuts are horrible. If you haven't seen the show, you won't have any idea what is happening after the first minute and a half of the film.
    The only good character was Iroh. I will say that Ringer did a decent job considering this is the first role he's ever had. He looked perfect for Aang too.
    I don't want to be overly critical. If you have seen the show, you might still enjoy this. But be prepared to be unsatisfied.

Bottom line for me, all I want to do is go watch the show and pretend that this movie never existed.

Great score though.

"Do you want me to be like you or totally honest?"
    "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
    "I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing basically."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post

Then again they liked Karate Kid which was about a kid learning Kung Fu in China (wow is the average public that ignorant of martial arts?)... and they hated 13th Warrior which is one of my favorites... so who knows.

the public isn't that ignorant but Hollywood is. They clearly were milking off the folks that would see it because it's a remake, not going off of what they have and what they can achieve.

From what I heard of those who have seen "Kung Fu Kid", it does more to respect the Eastern cultures than the Last Airbender does.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by My review for a local paper. I'm Brent.

Roberta: Everyone who had anything to do with this movie should not be allowed to have anything to do with movies ever again. Not even to sell popcorn. That's how bad this movie was.

Brent: Shyamalan has committed a travesty upon the source material, and it's tragic to see how far he's fallen as filmmaker. If I sound like I'm taking things way too seriously, it's nothing compared to how seriously this movie takes itself. Take the Last Airbender himself – in the TV series, he was a regular kid who liked to goof around. Then, when something serious happened – like when he found out that all the other Air Nomads had been slaughtered – it had a real impact. The relentless somberness of the movie, on the other hand, is just laughable. Young newcomer Noah Ringer could have been good as Aang, if he had been given better material.

Roberta: When the movie started, they showed those two faces (Katara and Sokka), with those dumb expressions and staring eyes. Did they beat them and put fake eyes in their heads and then ask them to perform? Young people should be full of life, but Katara (Niccola Peltz) made Kristen Stewart from Twilight look happy by comparison. We recently saw Toy Story 3, and to think that they could make animated toys that you could feel for, and here were people, and I felt nothing

Brent: Yeah, I felt no attachment to the characters, which is especially bad, considering I already had an attachment to them from the TV series before the movie started. One thing the movie completely missed is how Aang, Katara and Sokka are supposed to be close friends - when characters care about each other, it makes us want to care about them too. There was an episode where Katara and Sokka got sick, and Aang went out on a dangerous mission to bring them a cure. Katara was Aang's greatest supporter, but in one episode, she got jealous of him surpassing her as a water bender – she was a person, not the bland saint portrayed by Peltz. I was excited to hear Slumdog Millionaire's Dev Patel would play disgraced Fire Prince Zuko, but his performance was disappointing, too.

Roberta: Zuko's uncle (Shaun Toub) had a little tiiiiiny bit of personality, not enough to carry the movie, but at least I remember him. Everyone else was just all mushed together and it was just a big nothing.

Brent: Compared to everyone else, he had personality, but he wasn't nearly eccentric enough and he didn't drink nearly enough tea to be Uncle Iroh.

Roberta: If they lived, if they died, I didn't care – I just wanted to get out of this movie!

Brent: I knew we were in trouble from the first stilted line of dialogue. Characters spout long-winded speeches about “living by the spirits” and “responsibility” and “destiny.” Shyamalan didn't create this mythos, but he somehow managed to make it sound just like his mumbo-jumbo from Lady in the Water. And when the characters shut up and start fighting, it still doesn't feel right.

Roberta: In Kick-A**, when they were doing the moves, it looked real, whereas in this they just looked silly. It wasn't like they were fighting, it was like they were doing ballet.

Brent: Or yoga. Or Winsor-Pilates. There were only two scenes I actually liked – one involved some village children playing with the weightless Appa (Children playing?! I'm shocked such a concept was allowed in this movie, even for a few seconds), and the other had Aang fighting inside some sort of training device with spinning tablets

Roberta: I wasn't delighted with anything. Even the special effects were hokey. Even arrow symbol on Aang's forehead bugged me - it was too much. I liked it better when it was just an arrow. It looked like a math equation.

Brent: The CGI creatures look cool, but are just as devoid of personality as the humans. 11 years ago, Shyamalan gave us The Sixth Sense, which was the perfect balance between the story of a kid going through real-world problems and a supernatural premise. The Last Airbender is severely lacking the humanity of that film. Heck, even Shyamalan's so-bad-it's-almost-good previous film, The Happening was actually a lot better than this.

Roberta: The people in the row in front of me were texting, and normally that makes me so upset, but this time I was like, I don't blame them. I almost wished I could have read their text because I was so bored. Or maybe I should have tried to do the math equation on Aang's forehead. This is among the most torturous movie-going experiences I've ever had. I don't think any age group would like it. Children are way too bright for this. I don't even think Shyamalan's own mother would like it. I really hope it's the Last Airbender, 'cause I don't wanna see another one.

Brent: Paramount, Nickelodeon - if there is a sequel, please, please take it away from Shyamalan. He bent the concept out of shape, and I think he's gone 'round the bend.

Last edited by animagusurreal; 07-02-2010 at 07:40 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Circle of Ancients

Ugh, I'm looking forward to this less and less. Maybe I'll just go with the girls to see Eclipse instead.

• A Disney Examineer

My friend said it was even worse if you watched it in 3D.

• Surf's Up!

OK so I started to hear the bad reviews seep out but thought "nah, its just the odd critic" then I start seeing more and more bad reviews and its knocked the wind out of the sails of my enthusiasm.

The original material is so strong, it would hardly need much to adapt it to the big screen (save trimming of b-plots that made the series up). How on Earth can M. get it so wrong?

Its not released until Aug. 13 in Britain so I've got a while to consider if I do shell out to see it.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

It will be interesting to see how bad it is considering I have absolutely no expectations of it being remotely good.

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    )... and they hated 13th Warrior which is one of my favorites... so who knows.
    Glad to know that someone else likes 13th Warrior. Also one of my favs.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Shablagoo!

I enjoy the 13th Warrior too. I love how in the beginning they show him slowly learning the Norse language.

And has everyone seen this video about Airbender yet. It is hilarious.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5J7inpYSoE"]YouTube - ReelzChannel - First Fans - The Last Airbender (2010)[/ame]

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I saw it tonight, and... I didn't really like it. I LOVE the animated series SO MUCH, and was going into this with such high hopes, because of how great the cartoon is. Sadly, I left feeling very "meh".

To be fair, though, my heart strings were tugged when Yue died.

Overall... I give it a "meh"- don't need to see it again. Especially when Toy Story 3 is out there!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

You know, I'm kind of glad they totally white washed this movie. If they actually did a good job casting and then the movie sucked so bad on top of that, the execs would probably have blamed it on the casting.

But if they were smart they would know that it's M. Night. Man, I used to defend this guy because I liked Unbreakable and admired Lady in the Water for what it was but... man.

*what a twist!*

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast