• Correspondent-Editor

Review, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Prince of Persia: The Sands of...Boredom

As Prince Dastan in the Disney Bruckheimer production Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, hot young actor Jake Gyllenhaal had more on screen chemistry with the late Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain than he and costar Gemma Arterton can muster together in Prince of Persia. Itís all the tedium and half the fun of Pirates of the Caribbean III.

Read the full story here >>

• King of Los Angeles

Re: Review, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Personally I found the movie to be fun...not revolutionary, not bad, but somewhere in the middle. It introduced some great characters, cool villains, and beautiful sets, but was oddly paced. All in all it's a stronger second half of the movie, and was enjoyable enough that I'd go see a sequel to spend more time with the characters. Alfred Molina is a beast.
    Last edited by BuzzedLightyear; 06-01-2010 at 03:16 PM.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I saw the movie yesterday and would hardly call it boring. We will admit that some of it was predictable but it was still a lot of fun.

ORWEN: It was also scary and parts of it reminded me of Snakes on a Plane.

ORGOCH: Got ostriches?

• I'm not really here

Saw it yesterday as well with my wife. I don't think this movie was meant to be something groundbreaking. It was meant to be a bit of good old fashioned summer movie fun. And it was. Big action sequences, simple and direct plotline, well written characters and stock villains, but not boring at all. Beautiful sets and costumes, pretty good acting. It was exactly what it meant to be. I'd gladly go to any sequel.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I just got back from seeing a morning matinee of this and I think it was worth the $6 I paid. By no means was it a great, thought-provoking movie, but it was entertaining and had some great action in it. The scope was impressive, and I enjoyed the eye candy thrown my way. I felt immersed in an Arabian Nights fairytale (where everybody speaks with British accents). I think it succeeds in the same way that POTC does -- as a fun rollicking summer action flick.

Much better than the video game movies I've seen previously, though the bar there wasn't set too high to begin with. Using parkour to simulate the platforming aspects was great.

• I'm from Canada eh!

It was fun IMO and possibly the BEST movie based on a video game yet.

• Tomorrow's Child

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It can sit comfortably next to Black Pearl in the annuls of recent Disney blockbusters IMO.

Jake was good in it, but Alfred Molina stole his scenes! Great choice of casting.

Let's hope we do get a sequel.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• I'm not really here

I'll see it again if it helps boost the box office to where we can get a sequel. And Molina was priceless. He had some of the best lines and scenes.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Infinitized!

Molina is in this one too? Never saw him in the trailer for it, just keep seeing him in the Sorcerer's Apprentice trailer.

• Tomorrow's Child

I didn't know he was in it either, until he popped up out of no where. They could so have easily had Omid Djalili phone it in but that would have been dreadful compared to Molina's portrayal of Sheik.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• "Always On The Move..."

Just got back from seeing it and will definitely go and see it again! LOVED IT! It was just Saturday afternoon, sit-with-a-bag-of-popcorn type of fun. And yup, Alfred Molina stole every scene he was in!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Future Disney CM and WDI

I saw this yesterday. It was entertaining and worthwhile, just not quite the next Pirates blockbuster franchise behind the Bruckheimer bolt.

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

In my opinion Prince of Persia is one of the weakest Jerry Bruckheimer movies. The story was a little bit lame, but the movie had everything you expect from a JB movie.
    Looking at the box office, I think that Prince of Persia will not be a new franchise like Pirates for Disney.

At first I thought that Jake Gyllenhaal was the wrong choice for Dastan, but he did a great job.

I'm more excited about JB second movie this year, The Sorcerer's Apprentice.