• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Christianity in Narnia?

Now I know C.S. Lewis was a really devout Christian. But does anyone know how The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is connected with Christianity? I mean do any of the characters or settings symbolize Christianity in any way shape or form?

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Re: Christianity in Narnia?

you should read the books. They are christian allegories. Disney is marketing the film to Christian churches and organizations. Heck, the first soundtrack that has been released is by Christian artists in the Christian market.

Yes, the books symbolize christianity in many shapes and forms. However, its is written so well that these themes do not overtake the story- you aren't beat over the head with it.
    Last edited by dramaqueen; 11-06-2005 at 11:34 AM.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    um, you should read the books. They are christian allegories. Disney is marketing the film to Christian churches and organizations. Heck, the first soundtrack that has been released is by Christian artists in the Christian market.

Yes, the books symbolize christianity in many shapes and forms.
    Perhaps I should. I remember watching an old British rendition of it on film, but other than that, I forget what happens.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Now I know C.S. Lewis was a really devout Christian. But does anyone know how The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is connected with Christianity? I mean do any of the characters or settings symbolize Christianity any in way shape or form?
    It is a Christian Alagory based on a direct interpretation of the Gospel... Christ being Aslan... The Great Table being the old covenant or the law...

Spoiler
    Edmund "falls into sin" at the hands of the White Witch and must be redeemed in blood... Aslan sacrifices himself to redeem the child, dies, and resurects breaking the stone table... and liberates the people of Narnia with his breath (in hebrew "Ruah Ellohem" - the Breath of God - another word for the holy spirit)...
    Last edited by cellarhound; 11-06-2005 at 11:18 AM.
    Check out my other blog:

• Gay Man

The allegory is within the books. It is strong if you look for it, but I first read the series as a child - and a devout Christian - and I just thought it was a great story. I didn't see the allegory at all. Go figure.

It reamains one of the best children's series ever, IMHO.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

It is very well written, so the allegory is subtle and only evident if you wish it to be. With the popularity of the "Lord of the Rings" crowd and then getting churches to help advertise, I'm thinking I see a marketing ploy.

But that's alright, for my understanding was that CS Lewis created it to bring the Gospels to a different audience. It makes for a great tool for teachers as well, to teach the concepts of symbolism.

I really recommend the book. I also recommend the DVD of the original animated piece from the BBC. And hopefully, I can recommend the movie as well.

Frankly, I can't wait until it opens. I'm not one for fantasy, but I read the books several times as a youth.

peace to all,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    It is a Christian Alagory based on a direct interpretation of the Gospel... Christ being Aslan... The Great Table being the old covenant or the law...

Spoiler
    Edmund "falls into sin" at the hands of the White Witch and must be redeemed in blood... Aslan sacrifices himself to redeem the child, dies, and resurects breaking the stone table... and liberates the people of Narnia with his breath (in hebrew "Ruah Ellohem" - the Breath of God - another word for the holy spirit)...

hee hee hee the spoiler does not work in inverted micechat. I see it LOL!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

It's not just the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. All of the books in the chronicles of Narnia are allegorical. Sin enters the world in The Magician's Nephew, the last battle mirrors the book of Revelation, etc. They are wonderful books, and I hope the movie does justice to LW&W.