Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Future Disney Imagineer

Thumbs down Tangled's Doomed Fate: Opening with Harry Potter 7

All the hard work to make Rapunzel appeal more to boys and changing the name to Tangled will all be in vain. No one will watch the movie either way, because it's premiere is just a week after Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

After watching this Harry potter trailer: Movie Talk: New Trailer Marks the Beginning of the End for the 'Harry Potter' Movies , it's opening is 6 months sooner than I thought; November 19th, while Disney's Tangled, is out Nov 24th. If Rapunzel came out in theaters just a few weeks later in December, there would be a less likely chance of the movie being a flop, which it will be regardless, Harry just sealed the deal.

If and when Rapunzel doesn't send kids rushing to meet her on screen, what will this mean for Disney Animation? Will those shelved films waiting for the green light never make it to the silver screen, since the Animation team lost their confidence? Will we have to wait A LOT longer than we should have to for the 3rd Golden Age?

BTW Harry Potter rocks! I'm SOOOO gonna watch that over Tangled, and unfortunately, so would my 10-year-old sister.

• Is a crazeh cat

Re: Tangled's Doomed Fate: Opening with Harry Potter 7

First things first, I just want to say that the new Harry Potter Trailer looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks pretty much as I imagined it, I am so excited!!

I just came back from my second viewing of Toy Story 3 (amazing film so so sooo good) and they had the trailer for Tangled, first time I saw it I chuckled a bit but in the second viewing the trailer became rather lame! I mean Pink's music in a Disney movie??? CMON! But I'm going to stay positive. Some people who have seen test screenings say that its really good and has no modern music involved. So Im gonna stay positive but at the same time I think we all know that Harry Potter is gonna destroy it at the box office haha.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

Not to mention Megamind also comes out.
    I still think this movie will make at least it's budget back though, it is the holidays afterall and people frequent theaters more often around than. And there's still MANY MANY kids and babies who aren't old enough for HP. Granted the HP fanbase is bigger but there is still a rather big audience for the movie.

• The Study of Wumbo

You'd think Disney would learn from their mistakes. Prince Caspian, Bolt, Princess and the Frog... They've all fallen victim to this fault.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Jack's Posse

Won't there be 2 parts for Deathly Hallows?
    If so would that interfere with the realese of Tangled?
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Mike's funny. Dirty as a mud wrestling tournament, but funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    Mike Skellington: He is what everyone says is wrong with the internet generation, and I love the ******* for it!
    Mike Skellington
    My Tumblr.....Pretty Please Follow!!!!!!!!! And I'll follow you back.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^Part 1 comes out when Tangled soo its doomed, it will make more than Princess and the Frog (cuz of the 3D) but I dont see Princess making a come back, people want more than a love story now of days, Toy Story 3 is not just the same thing as the other 2 (or any of their other movies) Disney needs to realize that we dont want the same thing every movie...love conquers all.

• Future Disney Imagineer

[QUOTE=dth316;1056077581]Not to mention Megamind also comes out.
    QUOTE]
    Haha Who Cares about Megamind??? It looks too lame, not too mention it also looks way too similar to Despicable Me: both are movies from the villains point of view in which both of them are sucky villains and always lose to some lame hero.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Great news! The law was recently changed in the U.S. - it is now possible to legally buy tickets to see more than one film in a movie theatre, in the same month and in the same year. Go America!

The best way to contribute to the doom of upcoming WDAS product is to not see them on the big screen during their theatrical releases. Basing one's moviegoing choices solely on trailers can prove to be quite short-sighted. Then you won't have to read threads on sites like this one wondering why the film didn't do as well as it should've at the box office while waiting to rent it or watch it during it's cable or broadcast runs.

Go see the film for yourself and then try to put together an intelligent response to it, Even a 10 year old could probably explain the concept fairly well.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Pilot EdForceOne

Aliasd - you're trying to play this off as basing a decision off a trailer... which completely ignores the reality that HP is one of the largest franchises in modern film. So don't try to fight a tidal wave with a mop. The trailer isn't why people think HP will be big.

And to the second point about seeing more the one movie - you also know the money spent on film each week doesn't magically multiply by the # of films out there - films compete for spending budgets.. another reality not to be dethroned by a snarky thread post.

The topic of a films' release schedule vs the competition is perfectly valid and a major contributor to a film's potential take.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

I was talking about the trailer for 'Tangled' not sure if you were. Seeing the film "doomed" in advance of it's release based on self-proclaimed Disney and animation fans reaction to a trailer
    http://micechat.com/forums/movies/13...d-trailer.html
    is just simply annoying. As is that red thumbs down icon.

Opening weekend is more than one day. Not every film needs to break records, just pull an audience that can afford a ticket, give it a chance on it's own actual merits and pass along word-of-mouth, postive or negative.

Here's hoping we can avoid another post-release how come it "didn't break even" thread from Netflix-only moviewatchers.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Is a crazeh cat

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    I was talking about the trailer for 'Tangled' not sure if you were. Seeing the film "doomed" in advance of it's release based on self-proclaimed Disney and animation fans reaction to a trailer
    is just simply annoying. As is that red thumbs down icon.

Opening weekend is more than one day. Not every film needs to break records, just pull an audience that can afford a ticket, give it a chance on it's own actual merits and pass along word-of-mouth, postive or negative.

Here's hoping we can avoid another post-release how come it "didn't break even" thread from Netflix-only moviewatchers.
    The thing is though is that trailers are created to interest people and make them want to see the film. This trailer hasnt done that for the Disney Animation fans. Opening weekends mean everything in the movie business, if you have a poor opening weekend then you can pretty much bet that your going to have a poor run as well.

Im gonna stay positive with this one though, there were some bits of the trailer I enjoyed. Also this is a teaser trailer so alot of what is involved may not actually appear in the film.

• Pilot EdForceOne

is just simply annoying.
    As is that red thumbs down icon.
    No one here mentioned the Tangled Trailer. The premise isn't Tangled is doomed because it stinks based on some trailer - it's that it's going up against what will undoubtedly be a top 5 film of the entire year and an attempt to make it more likably to boys may be in vain when you put it up against a property of action, magic, and adventure like HP.

Opening weekend is more than one day
    And a movie like HP is going to last well more then opening weekend and into several weeks.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by Incrediboy View Post
    Will those shelved films waiting for the green light never make it to the silver screen, since the Animation team lost their confidence?
    It'll be because the suits lost the willingness to fund animated features. I don't think that will necessarily happen this time, but if it were up to me I'd be looking for a different release date.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    people want more than a love story now of days, Toy Story 3 is not just the same thing as the other 2 (or any of their other movies) Disney needs to realize that we dont want the same thing every movie...love conquers all.
    Who are these people of which you speak? "People" want a good time at the movies, and will go to the movie that seems the most likely to provide them with same. And where did Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons and Bolt fit in with the "love conquers all" thing? (I can see it with Wall-E though. Boy was that ever a flop!)

Besides, the marketing for Tangled so far seems to be about as un-love-conquers-all as it can possibly be.

If you aren't feeling the love for Tangled, that's fine, but don't overgeneralize about what "people" want.

Great news! The law was recently changed in the U.S. - it is now possible to legally buy tickets to see more than one film in a movie theatre, in the same month and in the same year. Go America!
    Bad news! The economy is in the toilet. Most families can't afford to go to more than one movie per payday. Or even per month.

Not every film needs to break records, just pull an audience that can afford a ticket, give it a chance on it's own actual merits and pass along word-of-mouth, postive or negative.
    Well maybe it'll pull an audience of people who couldn't get into Harry Potter because it was sold out. But even that will be only if Disney makes a better trailer and promotional campaign than what we've seen so far.

Seriously ... Compare the ad campaigns for Tangled, and for Harry Potter. Compare the consumer enthusiasm for Tangled vs. Harry Potter. Now contrast that to the internet discussion board postings of half a dozen gabby civilians who happened to get into the May 25th test screenings. Even on the boards where we participate (like this one) half the posters refuse to believe us, instead trusting that trailer and their own lyin' eyes.

Disney doesn't just have to give people a reason to see Tangled. Now they have to give them a reason to go see Tangled instead of HP. It would be good if they'd aim their trailers at a demo that might be convince-able, and I don't think that's going to be the boys.

Disney either needs to up their marketing game like they've never upped it before, or pick a new release date.

I, The Fan, have spoken. Make it so.

• Rock Star Minion

My family and I will be going to HP7. that much is certain.
    I'll need more convincing with Tangled. And for just about every movie being released for the rest of the year. And probably every movie released before HP7 Pt 2.
    None of the trailers I saw at TS3 were worth paying to see.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mawnck View Post
    It'll be because the suits lost the willingness to fund animated features.
    What about Funky Shirt Guy?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast