View Poll Results: How would you rate Despicable Me?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars

6 26.09%
  • 4 Stars

10 43.48%
  • 3 Stars

5 21.74%
  • 2 Stars

2 8.70%
  • 1 Star

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Despicable Me - Mice Chat Reviews

...and did anyone else think that was a tribute to "Luxo" on Gru's spaceship dashboard?

• Future Disney Imagineer

Saw it on Saturday night. I thought it was very cute and full of funny parts. Agnes and the little yellow dudes are adorable, and the cause of most of the laughs. Very enjoyable movie! the story was "meh" but the jokes were good. 4/5

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Fishy, Al, and I went to see this film yesterday. I really enjoyed it. I won't say that its high art, but it sure was funny. Particularly the more sinister aspects early in the film.

It was a nice, light, funny animated feature good for all ages. Definitely popcorn worthy!

4 out of 5 from me.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

I really enjoyed the movie-- It was cute and heart warming... at one point the whole theatre went "aaaahhhh" at the same time
    Disneyland Deluxe Passholder

• Future Skipper

Despicable Me. The movie I thought was Dreamworks, then wasn't. Which started me off in a bad mood, being that I assumed that, being a Dreamworks movie, it would be descent.
    But unforunately, it just seemed like it was aimed for little kids, and maybe it's just me, but the whole supervillain being the hero thing is getting a bit old. I don't know, nothing will measure up to Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. Also, the last movie I saw was Toy Story 3, so I was comparing it to that.
    I just didn't think it was anything special. I didn't once laugh out loud. The only characters I even particularly liked were the kids. But even so, all the funny jokes were used up in the commercials. I'm looking at you, "It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!".
    2/5

Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    ...Also, the last movie I saw was Toy Story 3, so I was comparing it to that.
    Well, that may be why I liked it so much, I saw it within an hour of "Predators"

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    Despicable Me. The movie I thought was Dreamworks, then wasn't. Which started me off in a bad mood, being that I assumed that, being a Dreamworks movie, it would be descent.
    But unforunately, it just seemed like it was aimed for little kids, and maybe it's just me, but the whole supervillain being the hero thing is getting a bit old. I don't know, nothing will measure up to Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. Also, the last movie I saw was Toy Story 3, so I was comparing it to that.
    I just didn't think it was anything special. I didn't once laugh out loud. The only characters I even particularly liked were the kids. But even so, all the funny jokes were used up in the commercials. I'm looking at you, "It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!".
    2/5
    Well of course when you compare it to Toy Story 3 the movie was mediocre.

It wasn't supposed to be the next Shakespeare, it was a "stupid" fun movie. If you went in with that mindset then you probably would have enjoyed it better. There are movies that are deep and philosophical and then there are others that are just plain fun, I looked at this movie for exactly what it was, "stupid fun".

Then again the crowd in my theater were all laughing, so the energy in the room may have been vastly different from the one you experienced.

• hi!

^ agree.. i loved Toy Story 3.. but when both come out on DVD, i'll be watching Despicable Me a lot more..

Toy Story 3 gets a 2/10 as far as fun summer movies go.. and i love Toy Story 3.
    -plagued

• Not a Crook

Quote Originally Posted by plagued View Post
    ^ agree.. i loved Toy Story 3.. but when both come out on DVD, i'll be watching Despicable Me a lot more..

Toy Story 3 gets a 2/10 as far as fun summer movies go.. and i love Toy Story 3.
    It's funny, I find that's true of several of the Pixar films. I think they're brilliant, and beautiful, but I don't really have a desire to watch them over and over again.

I really enjoyed Despicable Me, it was funny and heartwarming, and avoided overloading on pop culture references or scatological humor. Plus, someone punching a shark in the face is always a good time. This year has been pretty good for animation, starting off with Dragon, then Toy Story 3, and now Despicable Me. I hope the quality continues.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• hi!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Romantic View Post
    This year has been pretty good for animation, starting off with Dragon, then Toy Story 3, and now Despicable Me. I hope the quality continues.
    yes! which reminds me.. WHY is Dragon taking so long to be released on dvd....
    -plagued

• Circle of Ancients

I thought it was absolutely hilarious. When you go into a non-Pixar animated movie you can't go in expecting it to be as good, because you are going to be disappointed.

I had some doubts about using Steve Carrell's voice and making it NOT sound like Steve Carrell, but it TOTALLY worked because I wasn't thinking I was listening to Steve Carrell the whole time.

This was better than 95% of the movies Dreamworks has put out (only the original Shrek is better ... haven't seen Dragons yet) and it's WAY better than ANY of the Ice Age's (although the 1st one was decent).

I think this new company (Illumination Entertainment) has surpassed any of the recent Dreamworks films (again, haven't seen Dragons yet). I'll be interested to see what they come out with next. I think this is the studio that is working with Tim Burton on the Addams Family stop-motion film.

We will for sure be getting this on Blu Ray when it comes out.

So as far as Computer Animated movie goes, you have the 11 Pixar Movies, Original Shrek and then this ... at least IMO.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 07-15-2010 at 08:35 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by My review in a local paper. I'm Brent
    This is the first film from computer animation studio Illumination Pictures. Supervillain Gru (Steve Carell) adopts three little girls as part of his plan to steal a shrink ray from his nemesis, a newcomer to the evil scene named Vector (Jason Segel). He plans to use the ray to pull off the crime of the century—shrinking and stealing the moon—but his assistant, Dr. Nefario (Russell Brand), worries that Gru’s “quality time” with the girls is distracting him from his work. Available in 2D and 3D formats.
    Quote Originally Posted by My review in a local paper. I'm Brent
    Roberta: Gru is villainous but lovable. He had a quirky design, what with his skinny legs and his big nose.
    Brent: I’ll bet that nose was cool in 3D. He’s a great caricature of the archetypal villain, and I think there’s even a bit of the master of menace, Alfred Hitchcock, in his design (especially his silhouette). The cool title song, kind of R&B with ’60s spy movie score undertones, also helps establish the character’s attitude: “I’m having a bad, bad day. About time that I get my way. Steamrollin’ whatever I see. Oh! Despicable me!” He enjoys being evil as much as ... well, as much as I enjoyed tearing apart The Last Airbender in last week’s review, and it’s a ball to watch him go about his dastardly deeds. Carell does a great accent that he might have borrowed from Rocky and Bullwinkle’s Boris Badenov. I liked how Gru had the dark, old-fashioned villain style with his lair and all his stuff, while Vector’s style is more bright, sleek, and modern.
    Roberta: How the film showed Gru’s background with his mother, that was so interesting. Julie Andrews does her voice, contrasting with her usual roles she plays (i.e., nice people).
    Brent: Gru reminded me a bit of Dr. Doofenshmirtz from TV’s Phineas and Ferb, including the mommy issues. And the way he was so light on his feet despite his bulk brings to mind the notorious Prof. Ratigan from Disney’s The Great Mouse Detective.
    Roberta: The way the movie plays with the little girls being sweet and his reactions to them is hilarious. Girls: “We can’t sleep without a story.” Gru: “Well then, it’s going to be a long night for you.” The little girls are so, so, sooooo cute. They have spunk, and they each have a distinctive personality. Now that I’ve seen this movie, I think I’m gonna go out and adopt three animated children. The children’s books the girls eventually convinced Gru to read to them were excellent, and I’d actually want to buy the one with the little cats. And I’d buy the fluffy unicorn plushie one little girl has. They shoulda set up a store right at the theater exit for when I came out. And I’d like some of those cookies they were selling, too, but not the robotic ones (it makes sense after you’ve seen the movie).
    Brent: I think we all know where this is going—the girls gradually melt Gru’s heart—but it’s still surprisingly effective. The movie even takes the ultimate cliché of the busy dad trying to get to the dance recital on time and manages to make it work. But there was one big plot hole I noted: If Gru can break into a top-secret lab, why can’t he break into a bank and steal the money instead of going to the Bank of Evil?
    Roberta: Well, it was such a cute scene, going into the bank and then going into the evil bank.
    Brent: Yeah, and it did set up the idea of Gru’s homegrown, microbrewed evil vs. the Bank’s big, cold corporate evil. Also, since when did social services merge with Girl Scouts and have orphans selling cookies door to door? But oh well.
    Roberta: Let’s talk about the little ... would you call them workers?
    Brent: Minions.
    Roberta: Minions, right.
    Brent: They’re basically anthropomorphic lemon Tic Tacs who speak in gibberish.
    Roberta: They had little personalities, too. They would bicker with each other and do little things in the background while other things were going on, and it was very entertaining. They behave sort of like children themselves.
    Brent: Sort a cross between children and an office staff (very appropriate for Steve Carell). Russell Brand, who played rockstar Aldous Snow in the recent comedy Get Him to the Greek, turns in another very funny but very different performance as Gru’s exaggeratedly elderly mad scientist assistant, Dr. Nefario.
    Roberta: Overall, this movie had a clever enough story and a lot of laughs. Even the end credits were funny.
    Brent: I was a bit confused by the end credit gags until I realized they were 3D gags (flying out at the camera stuff). I’m sure they would have been very funny in 3D.
    Roberta: All ages would like it; it’s a great family movie.
    Santa Maria Sun | Film

The reviewers in our sister paper, the SLO New Times, reviewed the same movie. One thought it was just for children, and the other liked it, but thought it was making some underlying commentary about the quote-unquote "obesity epidemic" in America. ??? Other than maaaaaaaybe the carricatured American tourist family at the beginning, who were only onscreen for like 5 minutes, I have no idea what he was talking about.
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 07-17-2010 at 12:17 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

We saw it Saturday, and it's been one of the few movies that hasn't let me down. In fact, it was one of the funniest I've seen in quite a while. I really enjoyed it!

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Very good movie. I loved the three girls and of course, Gru's minions didn't dissapoint. 4 stars! Great movie!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12