• gyre & gimble in the wabe

Cool Toy Story's geniuses help rewrite, reshoot Tron: Legacy

via Sci Fi Wire

"Hold onto your Identity Discs, those psyched for the upcoming sequel Tron: Legacy. Pixar, the company known for giving soul to inanimate objects like the lamp Luxo Jr. and the unicycle Red (to say nothing of the robot WALL-E) are reportedly being called in by Disney to give some soul (specifically in the form of "character, emotion, and theme") to the House of Mouse's tentpole movie of this holiday season.
    As we reported last week, an early cut of first-time director Joe Kosinski's Tron: Legacy was screened for Kosinski's mentor in the world of high-concept commercial directing, Se7en and Fight Club director David Fincher, who gave Kosinski notes on the early cut. Now Entertainment Weekly is reporting that Kosinski's early cut was also shown to the creative team at Pixar, including "John Lasseter, Ed Catmull, The Incredibles director Brad Bird, Toy Story 3 screenwriter Michael Arndt, and others" with an eye toward creating material for re-shoots that took place over a six-day period this past June.

The old adage is that "Too many cooks spoil the soup," but when some of the cooks include the minds behind Ratatouille, maybe that's not such a bad thing?"
    Feed the Birds. It's not just a song, it's a way of life.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Toy Story's geniuses help rewrite, reshoot Tron: Legacy

Hmmmm, shouldn't they have gotten someone involved from Pixar, from the very beginning, rather than bring them in at this point? Or is Disney worried that things aren't going as expected with the movie?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Disney knows this is going to be huge but they also know the risks shall it fail (as their history with sci fi will show). I think they were just taking an extra precaution.

Don't forget, Toy Story was shown to many of Disney's key animation staffers before it was completed too and a lot of great ideas were discovered in that session (little green men and the claw for example).

Steven Spielberg helped out with some of the scenes in the Star Wars prequel Episode III.

It's a common practice in Hollywood.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    It's a common practice in Hollywood.
    What he said.

And while I'm all for planning ahead, this is really to be expected. Part of the Hollywood status quo. Besides, there's a great advantage to having "fresh eyes" look at your work that you've been close to for three or how ever many years. And really, what better time than at the rough cut or preview edit stage. We're five months out, folks, plenty of time for any tweaking to be done. And with that list of Pixar creatives involved, who wouldn't appreciate that kind of help (unless you're a big egomaniac). Remember, Lasseter has always cited viewing original footage of TRON while he was a Disney animator as a big inspiration for getting him interested in computer animation. I believe he fairly gave Kosinski a wide berth to do his thing, and now I don't doubt Kosinski appreciates what John and company will bring to his first film with their input at this final leg of production.

• Seasick

There can be cases where a movie suffers because there are too many writers, too many people involved.

This is not, however, the case with Pixar. All of their movies are made via a process that includes ongoing input from a wide variety of people, and the results speak for themselves.

This is a good thing.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Not a Crook

I had heard the movie was maybe "too dark," but just thought that was in comparison to the usual Disney fair. But if the director's main influence is Fincher, I could definitely see where it might need a serious injection of some humanizing and soul. Not that I want a dumb movie, but I also don't want 2 hours of philosophical angst either.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Right. A movie with this many effects was probably wrapped a while back but there's still time for reshoots to add more soul. I heard from some who have seen an early cut that it was cool but needed more life and emotion. Pixar is pretty good in that area.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html