Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Is a crazeh cat

The Twilight Saga: Why is it so awful?

Here is a post I made in the POTC thread and I thought I would start up my own thread on the topic since we started a good discussion there. Also I have just attempted again to finish 'New Moon' the movie and I have once again subsequently failed. Urrrgh I cant help it but everytime Edward turns up on screen I cant help but take pleasure in the fact that Voldermort PWND his sparkly butt! haha..... Anyway heres what I wrote.

My two cents on the whole twilight thing, (sorry if this offends anyone especially its just my review on the situation), I think there could have been alot of potential with the films in the Twilight Saga. I'm a guy and heck I like a good romance movie once in a while there dosnt always have to be action involved but and this is a BIG but it has to be handled well.

Ok so the books arnt the greatest piece of classical fiction ever to be written but with the kind of popularity that they have the films needed to have a heck of alot more thrown at them. When I saw the first one at the cinema I thought it looked like I was watching a direct to DVD movie, the quality of the picture was awful (I think its because of the cameras they used), and the script was rather shocking. I'm always a firm believer in the fact that an actor is only as good as their script. I dont get why people say Kristen Stuart is an awful actress?!?! Check out Adventureland forgoodness sake haha. Also Robert Patterson was pretty decent in Goblet of fire so we know he has some talent or at least acting skills. But these films are making these somewhat decent actors into robots and its all because of the script. Taylor Lautner in my opinion is a lost cause haha, he seems to be one of those models turned "actors" who probably isnt going to go very far after this series.

In my opinion it all boils down to one thing.... MONEY! Thats right once again its money which has probably ruined a francise. Of course in the producers minds the francise isnt ruined because its making millions but thats because Twihards will pay money to see anything twilight related. I mean its been ruined because it will not stand the test of time. Harry Potter was picked up by Warner Bros. Which is a MASSIVE studio and they throw hundreds of millions of dollars at each installment and it shows in the quality of the filmaking. Harry Potter gets is a critical success as well as a finacial one. When Twilight is the exact opposite.

My final thoughts on Twilight? For me the story in the films and the backgrounds of werewolfs and vampires dosnt bother me nor does the lack of action. Its the scriptwriting, Acting and movie making quality that annoys me and its just a shame that it could have been something waaaaay more than it is.

What do all of ya'll think of the situation?

• Circle of Ancients

Re: The Twilight Saga: Why is it so awful?

I'll be honest, when our (then 12) year old daughter wanted to read the books I read them first to make sure they were "age appropriate".

I'll admit to enjoying them for what they were. I am NOT the target audience, but it wasn't TERRIBLE.

When the first movie came out, the acting was TERRIBLE. GOD AWFUL. The story sucked, the effects sucked but it blew up and was HUGE.

When the second movie came out, I expected it to be a bit better, and have better effects, etc due to more $$. Nope, it was all but unwatchable.

Haven't seen the 3rd movie, don't really care to (I'm sure I'll watch it on Blu Ray when my daughter get's it for Xmas) but from what I hear, it's better than the 2nd. If you go to RichardRoeper.com and watch his review, he actually gave it an A- (I believe) and said he actually enjoyed it.

Go figure

Of course, if you want some really interesting opinions on Twilight, look up Stephen Kings's thoughts on them.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009...enking-fiction

King compared the Mormon author to JK Rowling, saying that both authors were "speaking directly to young people". "The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good," he told an interviewer from USA Weekend
    I'm sure Stephen is just a little pissed that his movies don't do as well in the theater as Twilight.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I've read the books, and like them. But I have an opinion on it/the whole situation.

Anything to get young girls to read is a good thing. The writing isn't great. But it gets them to read. I will say this: Edward in the books is abusive. Psychological he's messing with Bella non-stop. Playing HUGE mind games. "I can't be with you! I'm a monster! But I can't live without you." And then through this whole... tormented rant he reverse psychologies convinces her to give up her soul and life to become a vampire like him. And the general theme throughout the series isn't female power, rather it's submit to a male and become a wife, mother, and lose your soul. Meanwhile the one female character, who REPEATEDLY get screwed over and is strong and independent, gets painted as a huge bitch (which considering she's a werewolf it applies doubly here). Oh and if you look at how the Cullen females are turned it's all horrible stories. Esme's baby died and she tried to commit suicide (kinda' succeeded), Alice was locked in a mental institution and tormented by James finally dying, and Rosalie, if I remember right was engaged, then raped and murdered by her fiance. Even Bella ended up (SPOILER ALERT) dies during childbirth, when her baby broke her spine. And then later as she is turning into a vampire she tries not to show her pain because she doesn't want to make Edward feel bad. Seriously?

• I'm not really here

I'll throw my 2 cents in as well. I read the books after my wife did and we both agreed that for what they were, the books were enjoyable. Certainly not great literature, but a fun read. Clever story, some interesting twists on Vampire mythology that make sense.

Then we saw the movies. Wow... I have to agree with the OP about money being a major issue. You need a budget big enough to do justice to the source material. That was a huge problem with the first movie.

However, I think the budget was totally doable... for me that major issue was the direction. And by that I mean the ability of the director to actually direct the film and actors.

Bella and Edward are said to be so madly in love that they can barely resist jumping all over each other. In the films, they rarely look at each other. They don't talk to each other like they are madly passionately in love. They whisper, and stutter. There is no confidence in their characters. There is no passion. This one aspect kept drawing me out of the film over and over again. And while as actors they should know better... this falls directly on the director of the film.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I have two girls aged 10 and 14, even if I wanted to stay out of the Twilight universe, I don't think they'd let me. That being said, I did read all of the books and I enjoyed them for what they were. Tween romantic fantasy but not my kind of book.

You want vampires/werewolves, go read Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake Series or even the True Blood novels, even they would be a much better step up.

• The Study of Wumbo

I've read the books and enjoyed them, I've seen all the movies. I've decided (after seeing the last one,) that people like the books for the characters. Really, all the story is is one basically completely flat character dealing with all these interesting and exciting other characters. That's why people latch onto characters, and formed "teams." And because they're adolescent girls. It's just the whole notion... Doesn't matter that it's not good literature, nor are the movies high-quality, but people are going to enjoy it.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• ...is busy, please hold.

Twilight's ok ..............on paper. so's the host.

really the films are just a soulessly manufactured "give meh money slaves" franchise that drowns the acting capability of Pattinson,Lautner,Fanning .etc with the melted crackwhore adventures of Kristen Stewart.

it's just sad to watch, the emo-fag vamp image is well over due for a stakin'!
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

• Goofy

the movie was really awful.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I'll throw my 2 cents in as well. ...
    And while as actors they should know better... this falls directly on the director of the film.
    My 2 cents as well.
    Another problem is that it's harder to dump a (now) major star from a movie than for the director to simply quit.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Mrs. J. Depp

I *might* have to gather the village people and chase after all of you with torches.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Animation Domination

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I *might* have to gather the village people and chase after all of you with torches.
    Hey, can I join you. Twilight isn't that bad it's just Buffy, the Vampire with a twist.
    "You are watching FOX"

• Is a crazeh cat

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    Hey, can I join you. Twilight isn't that bad it's just Buffy, the Vampire with a twist.
    Yeah where instead of the Vampires trying to kill you they will sparkle all over ya haha

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

The Twilight Saga: Why is it so awful?
    Vampires don't sparkle in sunlight, they are burned to dust.

There are no vampires in the Twilight saga.

They are merely emo leprechauns having a bad hair day.

"That darn Bella Swan, she always be after me lucky charms, but saints preserve us, she'll nary get her wee hands on them!"

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

I have greatly enjoyed other Vampire writings from the originals to Ann Rice, but have no idea why this poorly written teen soap opera has lined people up out the door and around the corner. Even if you ask people who follow the sage, they will tell you it is horrible, but they love it. The books are bad, the movies are worse, and the acting is painful to watch.

The Twilight "Fad" will pass and be forgotten in ten years, while Harry Potter will join the likes of Lord of the Rings to become classics for decades to come.

I think it is a reflection of today's culture. If you bottle up beautiful people, throw them on the screen, people will follow them into the deepest sewers before they know they are covered in sh**...uhhhh.... Doo Doo.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    And because they're adolescent girls.....

We should be so lucky...

-----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast