• Banned User

Marvel Theme Park - Opening Summer 2011

Now, before Disney bought Marvel, a joint venture happened between US-based Marvel Entertainment and property developers the Al Ahli Group in Dubai to build a one billion Marvel Superheroes theme park 2 years ago, yes, a 1 billion Marvel theme park. It will be situated in Dubailand (entertainment complex 20x bigger then Walt Disney World), a mega area filled with other theme parks from Universal Studios to Sea World to Ferrari World & so many more. Marvel Superheroes is scheduled to open in late 2011. It's been under construction, and spare no expense, Disney will have no hand or ownership either!

But first, check out this awesome video that reveals the plans, the models and other collections of not just where the future of theme parks is going (they are taking theme parks to the next level) but also the look of Dubai's future architecture of resorts, etc. The video is 3 years old but the plans have become 99% true to design. Marvel Superheroes is the one with the crashed UFO.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2mIfegMI2o]YouTube - dubailand 1[/ame]
    Here's video of Ferrari World, where they have a roller coaster so fast, you need protective glasses, with top speeds of 150mph baby!!!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs17gj22DxI]YouTube - Ferrari World, Abu Dhabi, to be a roller coaster attraction[/ame]

This photo below was taken a few months ago of the entrance of the city of Dubai, this is what happens in just 4 short years? Hard to believe, and this WAS a desert 6 years ago. The beach is to the right.

Dubailand is an entertainment complex. Here's the list of theme parks being built:
    Warner Bros. Movie World
    Legoland Dubai
    Six Flags Dubailand
    Dreamworks Studios Theme Park
    Universal Studios Dubailand
    F1-X Theme Park Dubai
    Tiger Woods Dubai
    Bawadi
    Falconcity of Wonders
    Fantasia
    Freej Dubailand
    Marvel Superheroes Theme Park
    Tourism world
    Legends of Dubailand
    Aviation World
    Islamic culture and Science World
    Global Village
    Kids City
    Giants World
    Water Parks - Completed
    Sahara Kingdom
    Dubai Snowdome- Completed
    Astrolab Resort
    Dubai Sports City
    Emerat Sports World
    Extreme Sports World
    Plantation Equestrian and Polo Club
    Dubai Motor City which includes Dubai Autodrome
    ...Just to name a few!

So, here's what to look for at Marvel Superheroes...

You have to see what Universal Studios is doing in Dubai, it puts every Universal theme park on Earth to shame! For example, for the Jurassic Park franchise, they are actually building a Jurassic Park theme park, with hotel resort too! While the water ride will be rescue mission type thrill ride, and another JP ride will be the Ford tour trucks touring Jurassic Park, and the two attractions will interact with each other, and the dinosaurs will some how roam free.
    Last edited by JMora; 07-17-2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: typo

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Marvel Theme Park - Opening Summer 2011

That video is from January 2007. We talked about the Marvel Theme Park previously, and my understanding is that this project, as well as many other Dubai projects are on hold, indefinitely, due to the economy, and because of financially difficulties of the Sheik, who basically owns Dubai. Take a look at some of the comment for that video on Youtude. Some stating that the project is dead.

And there are are several documented reports of people who were hired from countries, outside of Dubai, to work on various construction projects, and basically ended up as slave labor in that country. And there passports were confiscated when they arrived, so they are not able to leave, until they finish their "contract", in order for their passports to be returned. Until then they basically have very little rights. They also have horrible living and working conditions. Dubai has gained a rather infamous reputation, recently.

Thank you, JMora, for posting the most entertaining thing I've read on Micechat in years, if not ever.

Entertaining, because so much of it is so patently false and yet so earnestly described. Let me give you some examples:

filled with other theme parks from Universal Studios to Sea World to Ferrari World
    : Sea World & Busch Gardens etc. were planned for Palm Jebel Ali, not Dubailand. All the projects stalled out with the 2008 crash (followed by Dubai requiring extensions on its massive loans in 2009-2010) and may never happen. Ferrari World is the sole theme park from the ambitious UAE plans to be built, but it is in Abu Dhabi - a completely separate emirate from Dubai.

The video is 3 years old but the plans have become 99% true to design.
    My favorite statement. Everything on the model is a placeholder. Nothing on that model has or will be built.

Marvel Superheroes is the one with the crashed UFO.
    No. Nothing in the plans you posted coincides with the mountainous crashed UFO.

This photo below was taken a few months ago of the entrance of the city of Dubai, this is what happens in just 4 short years? Hard to believe, and this WAS a desert 6 years ago.
    While there has been incredible building in Dubai over the last 6 years, it certainly wasn't just desert in 2004. In fact, Zayhed road (the pic you posted) didn't look that much different than today (pic from 2004):

Dubailand is an entertainment complex. Here's the list of theme parks being built.
    That is a list of the ambitious plans and developers courted before the crash. Virtually nothing is currently completed or under construction in Dubailand.

6. After the crash and the Disney acquisition, the Marvel park is dead.

You have to see what Universal Studios is doing in Dubai, it puts every Universal theme park on Earth to shame! For example, for the Jurassic Park franchise, they are actually building a Jurassic Park theme park, with hotel resort too! While the water ride will be rescue mission type thrill ride, and another JP ride will be the Ford tour trucks touring Jurassic Park, and the two attractions will interact with each other, and the dinosaurs will some how roam free.
    I like your concept, but sadly nothing like this is happening. You may be confusing it with another planned/stalled park that involved a Dino safari. Here is the model for Universal Dubailand. You can see that the Jurassic Park area is confined to one river rapids ride (like Singapore). The park as a whole looks like a weak-tea version of IOA.

Sorry if this reality check disappoints you. I certainly wish it was all happening as you describe and I appreciated the entertaining, if completely wrong, post.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 07-17-2010 at 10:23 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Thank you, JMora, for posting the most entertaining thing I've read on Micechat in years, if not ever.

Sorry if this reality check disappoints you. I certainly wish it was all happening as you describe and I appreciated the entertaining, if completely wrong, post.
    While this whole forum is for our past time entertaining purposes, and I thank you for the critical observation. While yes, there is an ever-lasting wealth of information, some right, some wrong and some in between. I didn't create this out of just cause, and like every other person here. We base our information from what we hear, see, read, and sometimes doubling checking the sources aren't always reliable. We assume based on news articles, websites, blogs, etc. I'm only human.

Yes, we all can't rely on the information at any given time, but I personally wasn't trying to give false imaginative hopes. Last I heard, the project isn't dead but the ever growing crisis of the financial status of the world will probably change that. I'm still surprised 'Ferrari World' is almost done, given it's massive size! For a while, Dubai seemed to be the ultimate entertainment capital, even making Las Vegas look small. I think we all know the general ideas that are drawn on paper to the final stages of actual-physical structure is not only time consuming but not always has they dreamed or what the designer wanted to be.

"the critical perspective allows us to move through this world with our beliefs guiding us while also stepping back periodically and re-evaluating those beliefs. . .and being critical gives us the power to change our guides when we see evidence calling for change" -paul thomas

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post

My only thing to add, is that this is not the latest design (though Universal Dubai is 100% stopped). The evolved design included an indoor Hollywood Boulevard, a more 1900s New York area, and the main entrance was a giant art deco Hollywood Theater (to the indoor street).

Screamscape seems to still have some of the new images, though they came originally from the Theme Park Guy. He just doesn't have them up anymore. Universal Studios Dubailand

The prelim. plans for Dubai Universal (that model) kinda sucked. The newer plans looked waaaaay better.

• will-o-the-whip

I posted at length in the Other Theme Parks thread so I won't repeat basically what Randy_Savage says above except to reiterate that the Marvel Park won't be happening.
    I think the Universal Studios park will be done at some point... when? I have no idea, but Dubai really, really needs a marquee attraction to attract tourists with all the new hotel rooms they have coming online. I actually think the Universal Studios park could turn a nice profit for them and I'd invest in it if had millions to spare.

@tloolgb

The Universal Dubai photos you are referring to are still online, just click on the 'Show past updates' link at the bottom of this page:
    Universal Studios Dubailand - photographed, reviewed and rated by The Theme Park Guy